• Richard Cockerill

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Connor O'Shea

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Jim Mallinder

Votes: 22 75.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
And this ladies and gentlemen, is why the All Blacks will consistantly be above any of the Six Nations teams.

Ah yes, because Andy Robinson moving from Edinburgh to Scotland put us ahead of New Zealand :rolleyes:

Hemisphere base stereotypes are so over-rated...

And this ladies and gentlemen, is why the All Blacks will consistantly be above any of the Six Nations teams.

Yet in the same breath why the Heineken Cup will always **** on the Super *howevermanyitisnow* from great elevation

TrollFaceDancing.gif

Last edited:
Jim Mallinder seems to be almost a foregone conclusion in a lot of peoples eyes (especially the papers), however I can't see him just leaving Northampton at the drop of a hat - He's not won anything big (HEC/Prem) with them, so he has unfinished business, in a way
To coach your country is obviously a pretty big deal, but I'm not so sure if he'd just drop all of his responsibilities so quickly
I'd imagine he'd take it. He's already said (just this month) that, on coaching England, "If one day, I ever have that honour, it would be something that would be very difficult to turn down." Plus, at 45, he could potentially be coaching for another 2 or 3 decades if he really wanted to. If the coaching job at Northampton ever comes available again, and he wanted it, then he'd get it. But it might be a now-or-never opportunity to coach England for Mallinder.

The biggest problem faced by any incumbent is Rob Andrew. Rob Andrew is no doubt an issue in any dialogue the RFU might want to have with any foreign national coaching option. Of course Rob might say "it's not a problem because it is I who will be having those dialogues" to which the chorus reply would "that is the problem!"

Certainly this seems to be the message from Nick Mallet, and probably Sean Edwards, twice. I mean, who thought offering him a part time role with the Saxons was a good idea?

When an organisation can not reasonably expect to hire the right people, because of its people, it is in serious trouble.

In an ideal world,

Henry takes Andrews job, Dean Richards is appointed england manager, he then appoints jim malinder as his head coach and toby booth as his forward coach.
Brain Smith is one of only 2 members retained along with Rowntree and Shaun Edwards finds a loophole in his contract and wales are paid off so he can become the defense coach.

I just wonder how many favoured candidates might say "yes, but only on the condition that Andrew is removed".

Indeed!
What about this for a scenario given the current upheavals "upstairs" at the RFU? Appoint a caretaker manager to see England through the 6N; let the dust settle on the internal wranglings, complete the review of the 2011 RWC and give time for any new structures and Chief Exec to be put in place. By the end of the 6N, possibly (but only just possibly) the organisational changes will have been completed, the caretaker steps aside to allow the new appointee to start with a new management structure and Chief Exec. Or is that too logical?

Shaun Edwards believes Jim Mallinder and Ian McGeechan could be the ideal double act to replace Martin Johnson as England manager.

He said: "We should go for the best of the guys currently coaching here, say Mallinder, alongside someone of unparalleled experience, say McGeechan.

"My guess is they'd develop as a partnership and develop England's young team at the same time."
Edwards accused the Rugby Football Union of being too focused on getting a southern hemisphere replacement for Johnson.

"The mindset seems to be that if you come from Australia, South Africa or New Zealand that's enough of a CV," Edwards said.

"Kirwan, who was a fine player, only coached up here with Italy. When Jones left Saracens they were about seventh in the Premiership.
"True [Mallett] once led South Africa to 17 consecutive wins, but the last of those was in 1998. I can't accept that because someone comes from the southern hemisphere they have an advantage.

"The thinking appears to be that Twickenham goes out in the market and buys an off-the-peg winner - a White, a Graham Henry. That seems like flawed thinking."

Instead Wales defence coach Edwards, believes Mallinder is the ideal man to become England's head coach.
"To my mind, he has already got most of what it takes to be an England coach. First with Sale and now with Northampton, he has turned sides around and last season came within a fingertip of claiming the Heineken Cup.

"If he's short of anything, it's the experience in fighting the battles in the corridors of power which are part and parcel of the England job."

Edwards also criticised RFU operations director Rob Andrew, who was Johnson's line manager, yet refused to take responsibility for England's World Cup performance at a news conference on Wednesday.

Rob Andrew has the air of a man who either is or thinks he's in charge - [so] shouldn't he perhaps think about his own position?

"Rob Andrew has the air of a man who either is or thinks he's in charge," Edwards added. "And in that respect shouldn't he perhaps think about his own position, even if someone else isn't about to do it for him? "Meanwhile, big men, like Johnson, take the rap.

Last edited:
people are saying about overseas coaches not knowing english rugby... surely this could be a positive as they would be picking on form ?

Who is in charge of finding a replacement for Jonno? Rob Andrew...? I find it remarkable that Mallinder is willing, he is clearly able and yet no-one has contacted him to even see how serious he is. If they take too long then he'll be unavailible.

Who is in charge of finding a replacement for Jonno? Rob Andrew...? I find it remarkable that Mallinder is willing, he is clearly able and yet no-one has contacted him to even see how serious he is. If they take too long then he'll be unavailible.

Yeah the worry I have that some people are saying the RFU approached them, Nick Mallet etc I think and he said no. RFU Not speaking to Mallinder yet tells me they might not be interested.

Like you said if I were him I would not be going any where till Andrew has gone, and I can't see teflon rob going any place soon.

Yeah the worry I have that some people are saying the RFU approached them, Nick Mallet etc I think and he said no. RFU Not speaking to Mallinder yet tells me they might not be interested.

Like you said if I were him I would not be going any where till Andrew has gone, and I can't see teflon rob going any place soon.

Its getting very frustrating now! Why are the RFU calling the likes of Nick Mallet but not Jim Mallinder? are they completely blind to English coaches or just stupid. It almost feels like Andrew doesn't want to have a successful home grown coach running the senior team. There is no way that the RFU is or has been acting in the best interests of English rugby for sometime now.

Most likely he is but he has expressed interest so why have the RFU not even rung just to confirm it? Or are they just blinded by a big name SH manager.