• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Matt Giteau.. the best inside centre?

I think it's unfair to label Jauzion simply as a 'big bruiser'. He runs intelligent lines with excellent hands and distribution skills. It's true that he's a strong runner, but he is far more of a Greenwood type player IMO, tall but also elegant to watch.

People usual refer to him as a very strong centre, which is why I referred to him as such. Out of the three centre's, I'd say he's the strongest due to the fact that he's not reeeaaally fast, but still manages to break the gainline regularly for club and country. Mcalister however uses a combination of strength and speed to smash through the gainline.

Giteau is good, but Mvalister akes inside centre to a new level, he is awesome in defence and his attacking is superb, he has great vision and also kicks well.

Honestly i think McCallister is better, though he is a backstabber, "It's not about the money", Stephen Brett is making a name for himself in #12 IMO

A backstabber? :huh: I'm sure the want to play week in week out in one of the hardest League's in the World was one of the reasons why he moved to Sale. I mean, it's not like he's not trying his best up here.

A backstabber? :huh: I'm sure the want to play week in week out in one of the hardest League's in the World was one of the reasons why he moved to Sale. I mean, it's not like he's not trying his best up here.
[/b]

Sarcasm's funny. It had absolutely nothing to do with large wads of cash cough. No seriously McCalister is awesome, idiot left before he reached his prime though. Stephen Brett and Giteau are probably the best in the S14 though. I dont watch enough NH stuff to really have a good grasp of the talent, but judging from the test teams, there isnt really anyone better than Giteau up there

That wasn't sarcasm, by the way. But whatever, I'm not going to get into a TEH GP > S14 debate. I'll just say he's playing brilliant up here, so it's hardly like he joined Sale just for the cash. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah i know you were serious, i was taking the ****. Look at it from my perspective and you'll understand what i was getting across

That wasn't sarcasm, by the way. But whatever, I'm not going to get into a TEH GP > S14 debate. I'll just say he's playing brilliant up here, so it's hardly like he joined Sale just for the cash. :rolleyes: [/b]

Obviously cash was only a minor reason, hence the reason he kept jumping between Toulouse (Top 14) and Munster (Magners League) as the money offered kept going up and up until Sale (GP) made an even bigger bid and offered to give dear old Daddy a job after he couldn't even keep a job with Manawatu.

Obviously cash was only a minor reason, hence the reason he kept jumping between Toulouse (Top 14) and Munster (Magners League) as the money offered kept going up and up until Sale (GP) made an even bigger bid and offered to give dear old Daddy a job after he couldn't even keep a job with Manawatu.
[/b]
Yeh, and maybe the fact that he's been Sale's best player this season shows he had ulterior motives? Perhaps to win things with Sale and to assert himself as their first choice 12? If he only went for the money, he wouldn't even bother playing his best now would he if that was his only motive for moving? :rolleyes:

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
Yeh, and maybe the fact that he's been Sale's best player this season shows he had ulterior motives? Perhaps to win things with Sale and to assert himself as their first choice 12? If he only went for the money, he wouldn't even bother playing his best now would he if that was his only motive for moving? :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
Why wouldn't he play his best just because he was after money? Sorry, but I don't really see the reasoning there... He's a professional, and as a professional you always want to prove your worth where ever you go. That way, not only do you prove you were worth all the money, but you encourage others to bid even more when your contract is up. These guys only have a limited time to play rugby and get good money, so getting as much as you can before you have to retire is considered to be a good idea... Money may not have been the only reason why he left, but then again it may have... either way I don't see how either situation would have him resting on his laurels.

Why wouldn't he play his best just because he was after money? Sorry, but I don't really see the reasoning there... He's a professional, and as a professional you always want to prove your worth where ever you go. That way, not only do you prove you were worth all the money, but you encourage others to bid even more when your contract is up. Money may not have been the only reason why he left, but then again it may have... either way I don't see how either situation would have him resting on his laurels.
[/b]
Any player moving will be slightly or mostly (either way it doesn't matter, he's playing at his best regardless of money) influenced by the money when joining another club, it's just natural. Ripper just seemed to be implying that he moved solely for the money, and not to move back to his hometown, Manchester, or to play in a different and an arguably better (but lets not get into this) League

Although it would have been better to have seen McAlistar in the Super 14 still, due to his style of play, i see no problem with him moving to Sale. He spent quite a bit of his childhood there and it made perfect sense when he moved to the NH that he would go to Manchester.

<div class='quotemain'>
Why wouldn't he play his best just because he was after money? Sorry, but I don't really see the reasoning there... He's a professional, and as a professional you always want to prove your worth where ever you go. That way, not only do you prove you were worth all the money, but you encourage others to bid even more when your contract is up. Money may not have been the only reason why he left, but then again it may have... either way I don't see how either situation would have him resting on his laurels.
[/b]
Any player moving will be slightly or mostly (either way it doesn't matter, he's playing at his best regardless of money) influenced by the money when joining another club, it's just natural. Ripper just seemed to be implying that he moved solely for the money, and not to move back to his hometown, Manchester, or to play in a different and an arguably better (but lets not get into this) League [/b][/quote]

:rolleyes:

Yep, Money wasn't a major factor at all. He just kept switching between two different clubs, one in the Magners League and the other into the Top 14 and was preety much ready to sign contracts for both of them until they both kept raising the offer.

Why is that he ignored Sale all along, who were in the bidding from the beginning but were never matching the other two clubs until they raised the offer above Toulouses and Munsters and offered Daddy a job? Daddy McAlister preety much all but said during the whole process that he would've resigned with the NZRFU if they had roughly matched the Northern Hemisphere offers.

Yep, Money wasn't a major factor at all. He just kept switching between two different clubs, one in the Magners League and the other into the Top 14 and was preety much ready to sign contracts for both of them until they both kept raising the offer.

Why is that he ignored Sale all along, who were in the bidding from the beginning but were never matching the other two clubs until they raised the offer above Toulouses and Munsters and offered Daddy a job? Daddy McAlister preety much all but said during the whole process that he would've resigned with the NZRFU if they had roughly matched the Northern Hemisphere offers.
[/b]
Indeed, it wasn't at all influenced by the fact he'd be moving back to his hometown though, right? I guess that means most players move just for the money, since you regularly hear great players saying that they had been in contact with other clubs before moving to a certain one. Of course money will be an influence, but I guess it was just a massive coincidence that the team that offered him the most money was also his hometown's team, and that he had no actual interest in returning there. :rolleyes:

Your whole arguement is laughable.

The fact of the matter is, he only signed for Sale when they outbid Toulouse and Munster - until than they were a distant third. If he was soooo in love with Sale, why was he ready to meet with the men Toulouse sent to NZ to sign the contract they presented them, until pulling out at the last minute when a larger, more Irish offer came along.

Try and spin the PR bullshit all you want, the fact of the matter was McAlister was going to sign with whoever offered him the highest offer. Are you telling me he would've signed for Sale still if Leicester came along and offered him another twenty-thousand pounds and Daddy an even higher payer token role? Everyone with a clue knows that this was a two year cash grab by McAlister so he could come home in time for the World Cup and still be able to buy a big bach on the Coromandel.

Latest posts