irelandfan123

Bench Player
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Ulster
Does what it says on the tin
link below
Former Scotland captain Mike Blair has retired from international rugby at the age of 31.
Scotland's most-capped scrum-half has represented his country on 85 occasions, 14 of them as captain.

In a statement released by the Scottish Rugby Union, Blair said: "I'm in the very fortunate position of being able to decide myself when my international career ends. For me, that time is now."

Kind of came out of nowhere. But I guess he feels his body just can't take it anymore and wants to extend his career longer.

I really, really like Mike Blair and am disappointed to see him go. I'd've taken him on the Lions tour this year. Great player and, by the looks of things, not a bad human being either.

we'll in his last games for scotland against South africa im not sure if he played against tonga but he didn't play very well but it ok we now have laidlaw so much better and is a good kicker aswell :)

we'll in his last games for scotland against South africa im not sure if he played against tonga but he didn't play very well but it ok we now have laidlaw so much better and is a good kicker aswell :)

How is Laidlaw "so much better" than Blair. Just because he kicks, doesn't make him better. And to be honest, Laidlaw and Jackson between them have done some of the most aimless punts throughout the tournament and are a large reason of Scotland's poor possession stats. Weir is the only Scot who knows how to hammer a punt kick accurately. Blair had one poor game against South Africa, but he was a great player in his career, I would still have him as a Lions tourist had he not retired from international. Edinburgh really missing him this season as well, Richie Rees has been poor for them.

The Cusiter-Blair competition for scrum-half has been the most interesting aspect of Scottish rugby for me for years. It's a shame to see it come to a close. Fair play to Blair, he probably could have had a couple more Scotland games in him (maybe off the bench) but if he think it's his time to leave, he's right.

Shame he's over in the Top 14 now, I liked seeing him come out for Edinburgh.

How is Laidlaw "so much better" than Blair. Just because he kicks, doesn't make him better. And to be honest, Laidlaw and Jackson between them have done some of the most aimless punts throughout the tournament and are a large reason of Scotland's poor possession stats. Weir is the only Scot who knows how to hammer a punt kick accurately. Blair had one poor game against South Africa, but he was a great player in his career, I would still have him as a Lions tourist had he not retired from international. Edinburgh really missing him this season as well, Richie Rees has been poor for them.

i may be wrong with saying that laidlaw is so much better than blair but actually the reason why scotland possession stats are poor is not because of the bad punting its because we always kick it like we always give possession away

i may be wrong with saying that laidlaw is so much better than blair but actually the reason why scotland possession stats are poor is not because of the bad punting its because we always kick it like we always give possession away

Scotland has had great scrum-halves for a long time. The issue has never really come from 9 (Dan Parks anybody?)

Latest posts