• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Mike Brown vs Alex Goode plus why does Twelvetrees not start

Glennht

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Saracens
Is it just me or does anyone else hide behind the sofa every time Mike Brown has to defend or kicks through rather than going through phases? Alex Goode seems to read the game and be at ease with himself. Brown also seems liable to start a fight in a telephone box.

Second, why oh why does Billy Twelvetrees not start? He is another player with big match temperament. He has time on the ball and his head works independently of his legs. He draws players in before offloading the ball and is as strong in defence as attack.

Welcome to the forum Glenn, and brace yourself for a lot of disagreement :)

Personally, I hate seeing Goode start for England. I agree he reads the game well and is calm, but Brown also reads the game well and his aggression rarely ends negatively. He is also far, far, far better ball in hand, and ultimately that's an angle England need. Goode's inability to to make yards ball in hand was part of why we lost to Ireland personally.

As for Twelvetrees - there is a huge litany of examples of him making the wrong decision. He has everything but consistent decision making - unfortunately, that's like a car without a steering wheel if you ask me.

The problem with 12trees is his inconsistant form. He comes on as sub and puts in a phenomenal 10 minutes or so but then start him and he performs crap. Having said that, I would have chosen him over Burrell much earlier today, Burrell was crap.

Also Alex "let me get beaten by an Irish 12 behind my own try line" Goode? no I don't trust him under a high ball at all. Brown competes and is good at it. He can also run and get past people whilst Goode does a weird sort of shuffle then flops into contact or wallops the ball to nowhere. We alreayd have 2 kickers doing aimless kicking, we don't need another at 15.

I thought the problem with 36 was that he as sort of ****? When Wales bring on Scott Willaims I get worried, if England bring on Twelvetress I feel less threatened by then English backline.

Twelvetrees is eminently capable, but he's wildly inconsistent and very "loose".

Twelvetrees is eminently capable, but he's wildly inconsistent and very "loose".

I can only speak with an outsider's perspective and must admit that I haven't seen too much of him at club leve, but he'e never dojne anything to convince me he does anything more than fill a jersey at international level.

I'd aggressively disagree with both points in the OP.
So much so that I did initially think this was a troll post, as it's like the exact opposite of the popularly held opinions.

I don't think, however, that Burrell is much cop. Not sure who to bring in for him, though.
Slade? His kicking game would take some pressure off of Ford, who has had some poor kicking displays this tournament, but then I'd ideally like a bigger guy there to worry defences/create more space for JJ. Potentially Tuilagi, but he's been out of the game for so long it's hard to say. He did well at 12 when paired with BOD (AKA the Lions Dream Team).

I can only speak with an outsider's perspective and must admit that I haven't seen too much of him at club leve, but he'e never dojne anything to convince me he does anything more than fill a jersey at international level.

He hasn't done very much at all, but he only really started getting international game-time once Gloucester generally went to pot.... his loss of form on top of his naturally loose style isn't really conducive to international performance!

The skills he has shown (and he has shown them to be more than flashes) would be very impressive if he could execute them consistently.

I think that goode has the brains, but is just not enough of an athlete for a fb- misses lots of tackles, not great in the air- decent at club level though. Kinda like the opposite scenario to Watson actually, who has the physical attributes, but does'nt make very good decisions sometimes.
I think 36 should have started today, yes- not because he deserves it, just because the other option is Burell.

You are aware that Robbie Henshaw has played probably half of his senior rugby at full-back, right?

Irrelevant. I would be confident in Brown taking that whilst Goode showed me why I have no confidence in him. Brown is one of our few players who can actually compete in the air, Goode can't.

Last edited:
Think Eastmond is our best 12 option but he will only get picked after the WC.
My back three would be
11 Nowell
14 Wade
15 Watson

I know Watson and Wade have defensive frailties but they can be worked on plus Watson is definetly the best under the high ball.

Haha, this is a joke, right? Did you not watch the game against Ireland?

- - - Updated - - -

I would also say that Browns defence and kicking make up for him being slightly pedestrian (although nowhere near as pedestrian as Goode) in attack.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and if you want cringworthy, watch Goode's goosestep and then watch Israel Dagg's.

People notice Barritt's defence, or Tuilagi's lines, or Eastmond's distribution etc. Twelvetrees doesn't have anything that gets particularly noticed like these. Twelvetrees' main asset is that he has the broadest skill set of any of our centres. He has the ability to do pretty much everything to a high degree. He's also the best of our centres for getting through work people don't usually think of backs doing, like rucking and fetching. But as others have said, he keeps blundering. If he sorts that out, he's 100% first-choice for England imo.

But until he does sort it, I would have Slade or Tuilagi there.

Alex Goode's bum sticks out too far, meaning he's not aerodynamic, and, ultimately, a slow mother ucka who gets show up at international level in the same way a toddler would probably be shown up by Usain Bolt in a 100m heat

Alex Goode's bum sticks out too far, meaning he's not aerodynamic, and, ultimately, a slow mother ucka who gets show up at international level in the same way a toddler would probably be shown up by Usain Bolt in a 100m heat

Some say Alex Goode farts once a month and it is stored in his backside until that fateful day.

I don't rate Goode. He seems to lack dynamism and certainly doesn't give me a great feeling of confidence when I see him in the 15 jersey.

Twelvetrees has good patches and bad patches. However, if you're going to get in a side based upon your all round abilities (as opposed to one particularly outstanding set of attributes), you're going to have to be consistent in your performances lest you look like a liability. If he can become more consistent I could see him challenging. At the moment though, I'll take Tuilagi at 12 when he's fully fit thanks mmmkay.

He runs the ball back just like Matt Perry used to......full speed then almost stops to be tackled!!!

Neither Goode nor 36 should be selected in the squad ever again! Great club professionals who have repeatedly failed at International level!!!

I feel Brown is one of England's best players. He was excellent against Wales at organising his two inexperienced wingers into decent defensive positions. He counter attacks at the right times and always look dangerous with the ball in hand. Can't say I've noticed a huge weakness in his defence but maybe I'll look out for it.

I'd always be happy to see Goode up against Wales. He doesn't pose any significant threat, other than maybe a half decent clearing kick. There is little worry of him breaking any defensive line as he stays so deep. I know who I'd start in the WC!

I feel Brown is one of England's best players. He was excellent against Wales at organising his two inexperienced wingers into decent defensive positions.WC!

A really good point and I agree!!

The oft maligned, often by me, Ian Balshaw was brilliant, when he played for Biarritz at any rate, at organizing everyone in the back line which you could probably only see if you were there! Just to add that he was also a good catcher, tackler and runner who struck me as having had his fragile confidence ruined by Henry on the Lions tour........and maybe was just that tiny bit precious!!!!

Latest posts