• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Minnow players who should be signed by a big European side

As I had suggested earlier it has now been confirmed that Canadian prop Jason Marshall has signed a contract in the Pro D2 of France with Stade Aurillacois Cantal Auvergne the contract runs to the end of the season with a club option for the next year.

As I had suggested earlier it has now been confirmed that Canadian prop Jason Marshall has signed a contract in the Pro D2 of France with Stade Aurillacois Cantal Auvergne the contract runs to the end of the season with a club option for the next year.
That is good news hopefully Buydens can get something going as well. I thought he was and Marshall were the two most worthy of pro contracts who did not have one. Any idea on the quality of french D2, is it equivalent to RFU championship.

That is good news hopefully Buydens can get something going as well. I thought he was and Marshall were the two most worthy of pro contracts who did not have one. Any idea on the quality of french D2, is it equivalent to RFU championship.

I would say so Rusty, if not slightly better. I would love to see Buydens signed as well. Kleeberger is another player I am thinking will get a deal.

I'd say its higher. More money to be spent and less restrictions on imports.

Yay for Canada/BC Bears/SFU/Carson Graham.

For someone who's only played prop for 2 years, this is a big step.

To think he gave up on an offer to tryout for the BC Lions to pay for Canada. (BC Lions are a professional football who have import restrictions meanings Marshall would have likely made the team at reserve QB.)

Last edited:
I think the Namibian players will also get a look from Currie Cup sides, Thuens Kotze deserves a look from any club.

Of all the players mentioned in this thread, I agree the most strongly with Theuns Kotze. Would love to perhaps eventually see him play in the Super 15.

Agree with these, liked what I saw from him.

Also, wasn't the Kleeburger 'hit' actually just a head clash? lol

Last edited:
I think this is the first Rugby Forum thread that I have read and agreed with all the posts! All players mentioned are good finds to come out of the tournament. I particularly like the Canadians Kleeberger, Carpenter and the Russian Gresev (to be fair I probably would like him even if he was shite because of his nickname. I heard one of the commentators call him "Gresev the impressive")

Also 100 POSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kalamafoni from Tonga has definitely been impressive. Another player who I think deserves a chance playing pro-rugby is Ofisa Treviranus, the Samoan flanker.

Matt Evans the Canadian CT/FB signed today with Cornish Pirates, so another player from an RWC team to be picked up.

Well I know he's hardly young or completely unknown but did anyone else think James Arlidge (Japan no.10) was absolutely brilliantt?

He's playing for Nottingham this season and I could see him playing 10 for a Premiership side pretty easily.

Bleedin hell... I thought you were making that up so went and checked the Nottingham website! He is a quality player and would be within his depth in the premiership.

They should make a new all up EU side in the TOP 14 with players that are not from any of the 6N. Sound stupid, but the singapoorean did heaps of stuff like that when they created their football premier league. Anyway it wont work cause of quotas

They should make a new all up EU side in the TOP 14 with players that are not from any of the 6N. Sound stupid, but the singapoorean did heaps of stuff like that when they created their football premier league. Anyway it wont work cause of quotas
Interesting idea but as you say, it's not really feasible. I do think something can be done though. Perhaps a cap exemption can be implemented for 2 or 3 players from non tier 1 countries in each Top 14 or Premiership squad. Basically, their wages don't count against the salary cap and are part funded by the iRB. Similarly, since the Pro 12 doesn't have a salary cap, players from non tier 1 nations can have their wage partially funded.

Really want to see more of the big Russian wing Simplikevich. Looked pretty good, he could get a decent contract in France.

Latest posts