• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

MMA/UFC thread

GSP is going to 196.

Imagine if Conor wins and calls him out.

Conor vs GSP would be the biggest fight....ever.
Conor wants money and that would be a RIDICULOUS draw. Just ridiculous.

I so want it to happen now. GSP is the absolute daddy.

What a fight!!

Why oh why oh why did he try and get a takedown then? Should of kept moving.

Last edited:
I'm so happy right now!!! My heart said Diaz, but never ever really expected him to win!! What a fight! Dana will be distraught, both his money fighters losing within months of each other. Everybody loses at some point.

I love it.
I ****ing love it.

The only sour point is I was gonna put a fiver on Diaz by 2nd round stoppage but thought "nah, I won't risk it"
Would've won £113 :lol:

Forgot to mention the hype train that was Sage Northcutt, purely based on aesthetics. What do Dana?

Think Sage could still go the distance, he just **** himself in his last fight, didn't know what to do after getting tagged so much and tapped when he was barely being submitted.

I mean the kid is only 19, if he sticks with it then he has the background to become a great fighter.

Press conference just started here:
http://www.ufc.com/media/ufc-196-post-fight-press-conference
Nate and Conor not there yet, but Dana sounds like he's about to cry even if he has just made a boat load of cash :lol:

Edit:
Conor saying he's heading back down to defend his belt.
Imagine if, at 200, we had Conor v Aldo* and Diaz v RDA

*Conor said that Aldo makes sense but because he's always pulling out of fights he might go for Edgar, it depends who the biggest draw would be.

Last edited:
That Tate fight was one of the best I've seen in long time, really enjoyed it.

That was retarded from McGregor... could easily have won that if he hadn't been so cocky.
I know that's partly his great strength, but god-damn...

Not sure why people keep attributing McGregor's loss to cockiness. The only cocky aspect of it all was Connor thinking he could go up to 170, jumping two weight classes, and expecting to run through Diaz. The loss itself is in no way due to McGregor being cocky, he ultimately lost to a better boxer, BJJ artist and an extremely durable fighter.

I think people see his hands dropping as cockiness (ala Anderson Silva) but I see it (and I've seen others say it) as poor coaching.
The other fighters out of SBG do the same (Artem and Gunner both have very loose hands).

McGregor gets away with it at lower weights because he's bigger than most, very quick, and an excellent counter fighter. Diaz had the reach and is a smarter boxer than most in the UFC - he could exploit it and overload on volume once Conor got rocked.

I think Conor should change camps (but he won't). He's becoming like Rousey, surrounded by yes men and sticking with their original team. Loyalty is admirable but you need to mix things up if there are weaknesses, and SBG doesn't produce good grapplers and there's other questions starting to arise, too.
People were ragging on Diaz for constantly bringing up McGregor's team but it's a valid point. Diaz prepared for fights by boxing with pro boxers and grappling with the likes of Kron Gracie (and other Gracies). Conor doesn't get that luxury.

Last edited:
The bigger, better boxer won the BJJ polished it off. Great fight from Diaz, McGregor was cocky and led him to not being prepared enough. Sloppy boxing and no ground game will never win McGregor a fight at 170 and I can't see him going back there. Once Diaz got up ahead of steam it was only going one way.

McGregor v Aldo thr... 2 is going to happen and it was always going to be a perfect fallback.

McGregor's response to Aldo calling him a pussy was class!
"He could be sitting across there, he could be sitting where Nate's sitting now. He was the first choice.

"He said anytime, any place, anywhere... and then it wasn't anytime, any place, anywhere. Now another man gets a victory over men and he celebrates it. That's the sign of a loser. That's the sign of a runner-up. That's not the sign of a champion."

I think Aldo will do well to accumulate a minute's worth of fighting against McGregor after 200. This loss won't do McGregor a whole lot of harm.

This loss may actually be the best thing to have happened McGregor. Diaz was the better man but whether you like McGregor or not he is very gracious in defeat but straight up admitted he lost to better man but more importantly was he learnt from the errors he made

That describes boxing too... MMA rules don't let fighters who have been knocked out continue to fight if they can get back up within 10 seconds and a lot of the grapplers don't throw too many dangerous punches at all, add in that many of the strikes hit legs as well. It's evened out by the gloves but from what I've read there's little difference in how dangerous they are long term and a lot of people lean to MMA being safer, no hard evidence that I have found as of yet but I don't exactly go looking.

If a boxer is wobbling about after a knock down fight should be stopped though. In UFC I see fighters knocked out cold and jumped on with point blank punches.

Talk of the UFC200 main event being Conor vs Nate rematch.

That would be some real bull****. If it happens then they should make Conor vacate the belt because it's just screwing with the FW division.
There's also talk of Edgar vs Aldo for an interim, then winner fights Conor at a later date. Also would be BS. Interims should be for injuries only, not because the current ***le holder doesn't want to fight.

If they wanted to make 200 be something really special then they should have:
Lawler vs GSP
Nate vs RDA
Conor vs Edgar
Tate vs Rousey
CM Punk vs A wet paper bag

The only good thing about McGregor staying at a higher weight is that it makes it more likely he'll eventually face, and potentially be straight up killed by, Khabib.
For any that don't know Khabib then all you need to know is he was literally raised fighting bears

Last edited by a moderator:
Talk of the UFC200 main event being Conor vs Nate rematch.

That would be some real bull****. If it happens then they should make Conor vacate the belt because it's just screwing with the FW division.
There's also talk of Edgar vs Aldo for an interim, then winner fights Conor at a later date. Also would be BS. Interims should be for injuries only, not because the current ***le holder doesn't want to fight.

If they wanted to make 200 be something really special then they should have:
Lawler vs GSP
Nate vs RDA
Conor vs Edgar
Tate vs Rousey
CM Punk vs A wet paper bag

The only good thing about McGregor staying at a higher weight is that it makes it more likely he'll eventually face, and potentially be straight up killed by, Khabib.
For any that don't know Khabib then all you need to know is he was literally raised fighting bears

What does either man gain from rematch and at what weight? And I thought McGregor accepted he had to drop down as extra muscle didn't suit him.

Also is CM Punk fighting as CM Punk or Phil Brooks

Last edited by a moderator:
What does either man gain from rematch and at what weight? And I thought McGregor accepted he had to drop down as extra muscle didn't suit him.

CM Punk. It's been his ring name for years.

Apparently at 170 again, which makes it even weirder. Would've thought McGregor would push for 155, especially as he's eyeing up the belt there.
Nate will do it for the cash - he and his brother aren't particularly UFC yes men, they fight for the cash really. Dana isn't going to give him a shot against RDA for the belt before Conor get's a shot, so might as well take the fight against Conor. He's spent so many years fighting for $20/40k, he'll probably get $1m just for turning up in a rematch.
For Conor I imagine it's pride/revenge. It's his only loss in the UFC and he wants to avenge it.
He's also said he wants to make as much cash as possible, and a rematch against Nate will probably bring in more casuals than a ***le defence at FW, especially with the amount of press the Diaz fight got afterwards.
It just highlights that the UFC is "sports entertainment" and not a sport, though. A rematch makes absolutely no sense in terms of sport, but they'll do it because it'll bring in the most PPV numbers.

CM Punk is still going by CM Punk but I think I read that he'll be introduced in the ring as Phil "CM PUNK" Brooks, plenty of guys have ring names (The Notorious, Rumble, Rampage etc.etc.etc.)

It just highlights that the UFC is "sports entertainment" and not a sport, though. A rematch makes absolutely no sense in terms of sport, but they'll do it because it'll bring in the most PPV numbers.

Meh... bit of an arbitrary distinction, IMO... it's not the league/structure of the sport that defines whether or not it's a sport.

Latest posts