• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Montpellier unveil signings for 2015/2016

early has nothing to do with Jiff, if they are in the Academies for 3 years before they are 21 then yes but you must go through the stages to qualify, Misha Narishvili did that but Mamuka Gorgodze who was at the club for just as long did not therefore never qualified as Jiff. There are strict rules and regs to qualify not just an early signing will do.!!!
I know, I actually did have a look at Jiff some time ago because it was brought up somewhere and I didn't know at the time what it was.

Do you think this influx of SA players may have a longer term impact on Montpelliers academy? Possibly young players will see that their route is likely to be blocked by a foreign player and will choose to go to another teams academy if they can?

No not really as before the players get any where near selection for the first XV they have a whole world of rugby at Academey level and studies before them, and there are few who actual do stay as its better for them to go out and get the experience in Fed 1 or the Pro D2 before they tackle the TOP 14. The number of 20yo's playing week in week out in the TOP 14 is a very rare thing indeed.There are just as many foreigners in all the other teams as there are in Montpellier's so really the answer is no.This may however bring foreign youngsters into the Academies from abroad, but thats another issue.

In the last weeks, I read a lot of comments about people criticizing Montpellier and accusing the club of signing too much foreigners. And I find it weird because in reality the club will have the same amount of foreigners in the first team than he usually does, if I ignore the fact that some of the signings have youth contracts the team will count 17 foreigners which is comparable to the 18 in 2011, 15 in 2012, 17 in 2013 and 13 in 2014. Next year Montpellier will not be a super rugby team, at least no more than in precedent years.

In the last weeks, I read a lot of comments about people criticizing Montpellier and accusing the club of signing too much foreigners. And I find it weird because in reality the club will have the same amount of foreigners in the first team than he usually does, if I ignore the fact that some of the signings have youth contracts the team will count 17 foreigners which is comparable to the 18 in 2011, 15 in 2012, 17 in 2013 and 13 in 2014. Next year Montpellier will not be a super rugby team, at least no more than in precedent years.

dont worry its a common thing on here just play Duck water off its back no problems!!!!! and welcome!!! we need a few more French posters
in the TOP 14

Last edited:
Thanks, I actually posted here because it seems to be the most receptive place, when you look at french websites the bitterness is staggering. And I will have to admit that I watch more Super Rugby than Top 14, so I might be a lousy France based poster.

Thanks, I actually posted here because it seems to be the most receptive place, when you look at french websites the bitterness is staggering. And I will have to admit that I watch more Super Rugby than Top 14, so I might be a lousy France based poster.

I agree that Top 14 is not the best but Super rugby?

What about the magnificent, and often brutal, Pro 2?

After all, most of the best clubs are there now!!!

Would love to but my tongue was too far in the cheek.........................

He's right about the "most of the best clubs are there now" part, though. :p

I'm looking forward to see what impact Jake White and Shaun Sowerby are going to have. Without doubt, Montpellier will be serious contenders in next season's Top14.

Whether we are there or not, this is Jakes first season in sole charge he has chosen his team right or wrong, but he now also has sole responsibility and he has admitted to that fact, this season may be too early as the incoming players have to get used to the TOP 14 which is no walk in the park, but if we qualify for Europe in after this season (finish in the top 6) I would say there has already been success, if it's more, then all well and good, but he needs time and the club will give him that time that he needs. Somehow i think we will be seeing a different style of play this coming season from Montpellier.

Yes, if finish in the top 6 and reach the play offs and qualify for Europe, their season will have been a success.

Whether we are there or not, this is Jakes first season in sole charge he has chosen his team right or wrong, but he now also has sole responsibility and he has admitted to that fact, this season may be too early as the incoming players have to get used to the TOP 14 which is no walk in the park, but if we qualify for Europe in after this season (finish in the top 6) I would say there has already been success, if it's more, then all well and good, but he needs time and the club will give him that time that he needs. Somehow i think we will be seeing a different style of play this coming season from Montpellier.

The style will be different, Galthié style is almost the opposite of what White wants, the team wasn't his at all.

White doesn't like to play in his own 40, what he asks from his team in the first 40 is to create space and time for the Fullback, Scrum half, Fly half or Second five 8 to find the touch in the opposition 40, through solid and controlled rucks, the kickers always have huge power and great accuracy. He also needs a very solid lineout because it's the first phase of his offensive system and a solid counter ruck, that's where someone like Mowen will be essential. In the last 40 his teams are in my opinion very entertaining because, he sets up runs and dummy runs everywhere and the mauls are well drilled.
I have seen people question the signatures of players like Mogg and Nick White, because they aren't super stars like the players Toulon target but, these two player will probably be crucial because of their kicking game and Mogg direct running style.
Finally I wouldn't be surprised to see Catrakilis or Lucas start as a 10 and Trinh Duc be played as a n°12.

This is correct but Pierre Spies will not be in Montpellier before Feb 2016

- - - Updated - - -

The style will be different, Galthié style is almost the opposite of what White wants, the team wasn't his at all.

White doesn't like to play in his own 40, what he asks from his team in the first 40 is to create space and time for the Fullback, Scrum half, Fly half or Second five 8 to find the touch in the opposition 40, through solid and controlled rucks, the kickers always have huge power and great accuracy. He also needs a very solid lineout because it's the first phase of his offensive system and a solid counter ruck, that's where someone like Mowen will be essential. In the last 40 his teams are in my opinion very entertaining because, he sets up runs and dummy runs everywhere and the mauls are well drilled.
I have seen people question the signatures of players like Mogg and Nick White, because they aren't super stars like the players Toulon target but, these two player will probably be crucial because of their kicking game and Mogg direct running style.
Finally I wouldn't be surprised to see Catrakilis or Lucas start as a 10 and Trinh Duc be played as a n°12.

I will be very surprised to see FTD at 12 if that happens he may well be looking for another club sooner than later. Catrakilis will start some games at 10 but Ben Lucas should probably revert to 15 where he was last season and alternate with Mogg there is also Pierre Berand as 3rd fullback Of course Jakes methods are entirely opposite to Galthie's but that is all good as Galthie was not the easiest person to work with.

FTD would be interesting at 12, quick and quite physical for a 10.

he's played there before and its just not his position, now his kicking game has improved tremendously he an out and out ten and always was, Jake will be play he at 10 and he will be able to be rested often as we now have Catrakilis as back up especially as he should be involved in the WC as i think he will be playing a prominate part in that for France.

Latest posts