• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Moore comes out fighting!

P

Prestwick

The man everyone (in the celtic world) loves to hate, Brian Moore seems to have come out fighting against the veritable tsunami of scorn and critism he has been receiving over the last 18 months.

Specifically, he refers to the Ultimate Warrior-like rage heaped upon him by Irish fans angry at him labelling Ireland as "chokers" (don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!)

I also seem to have upset a lot of Irishmen this year; well, I suppose it makes a change from the Scots, and especially for using the word 'choke' about their team. It is an emotive term, but it is right. For those who say I refuse to give credit to the Irish, there are two points: if you actually review the remarks this is not true and, secondly, as the most talented team in the Northern Hemisphere I expect more of them, as they should of themselves. If you want to follow the English in lauding the like of Eddie the Eagle, you are fools. Moreover, as one whose team choked in a World Cup final, I know about it.[/b]

Interesting stuff from quite possibly one of the most articulate rugby pundits who actually has some rugby experience under his belt.

I actually don't mind Moore, and although he can be a bit one-eyed in his commentary, he is generally correct in his assessment of things on the pitch.

My problem with the 'choker' comment is that it isn't accurate. Choking would have been to play terribly, freeze up and lose to a much weaker team. Whereas they lost to a strong French team who played some great rugby for 30 minutes and conjoured up a moment of matchwinning brilliance.

I really don't think he is biased though, unlike Stephen Jones who for one is an idiot and secondly, has a real dislike for Irish rugby.

I like brian moore, he makes me laugh, a lot, but this opinion isnt biased at all
Ireland should never have lost to france, they went ahead with what? a minute left? lost the restart and then let clerc through for the try. Which to me is choking... sure france played well, and clerc is an excellent attacking runner, but to lose a game in that manner, I would say is 'choking'. great teams don't lose matches like that... England of 2003 wouldn't have, the AB's today wouldn't have.

I like the fact Moore constantly belittles Eddie Butler, who is an idiot.

Be much better to have Moore commentating with Davies, one who knows all about forward play and another expert for the backs.

As opposed to Butler, who contributes nothing useful and simply gets overexcited when any Welsh side is playing.

Well he's right about Ireland choking, all we had to do is take a restart and we would have won the grand slam, we choked big time.

Moore though has gone down in my estimation following his comments in the French match though, out of order on that occasion.

that's the one, maybe some found it funny but I just thought it was in bad taste and as I've said before I've usually been a fan of his, the gay slap comment was funny yet it seemed to create more of a furore.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty bad as well. I don't really like Moore, he's inherently abrasive and unpleasant, but he knows his rugby well and his choking comments were more than justified.

that's the one, maybe some found it funny but I just thought it was in bad taste and as I've said before I've usually been a fan of his, the gay slap comment was funny yet it seemed to create more of a furore.
[/b]
he obviously wasn't serious though, that could be told by his tone.

if you don't take his comments seriously then hes hilarious, and he knows his rugby as well, i learnt a lot of rugby laws from listening to him :p

I agree with the ugly *******. :bravo: Not with Prestwick - with Moore.

Ireland did choke, but it was through lack of leadership rather than bottle.

Brian stopped annoying me when he retired from the frontrow. England haven't replaced his arrogance - although Julian White was in the running, until he showed how limited his game is. And Moore and Butler make a great team on commentary. The only thing I hold against him is that he's a lawyer.

Stephen Jones sometimes makes sense, but he's so committed to the grinding game and usually ends up spewing through his arse. His anti-Irish comments for the selection of any Lions tour are so distorted.

Plus guys who write opinion for newspapers aren't doing their jobs if they're not stirring it: Clarkson, both Hitchens, Kaletsky. Even that toad Littlejohn deserves respect, warts and all. The one I can't stand is Polly Toynbee - Won't somebody think of the children!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]
he obviously wasn't serious though, that could be told by his tone.

if you don't take his comments seriously then hes hilarious, and he knows his rugby as well, i learnt a lot of rugby laws from listening to him :p
[/b][/quote]

That's just it though, I wouldn't have said anything if I thought it was him just being funny, I certainly couldn't tell that by his tone and it's not as if I'm not used to listening to him.

Brian stopped annoying me when he retired from the frontrow. England haven't replaced his arrogance - although Julian White was in the running, until he showed how limited his game is. And Moore and Butler make a great team on commentary. The only thing I hold against him is that he's a lawyer.
[/b]

White isn't very abrasive though. Or arrogant. He is awfully polite and such a gentleman apparently! Not exactly a reputation to make opposing sides quake in their boots. I've never, ever seen him get in a fight or even one of those shirt pulling/shoving tiffs that happen on the pitch these days. Ever!

We may as well have Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army in the front row!

White isn't very abrasive though. Or arrogant. He is awfully polite and such a gentleman apparently! ... We may as well have Sergeant Wilson from Dad's Army in the front row!
[/b]
I've seen him provoke opponents into penalty/yellow card action this season - Marcus Horan in the HEC Munster match for one. TBH, I only took notice of him about a year ago, when he was mocking his opponents after the hooker took a swipe at him. Seemed to be enjoying himself. More like the Dad's Army butcher (Jonesy?) - They don't like it up 'em!

"...It is funny how brave people are in anonymity - not something that lasts face to face or even down the phone. Having been abused for six pages by some double-barrelled half-wit from Surrey, I took a flier and rang directory enquiries. At the third cold call I got to speak to the man, who could not have been nicer, retracting all and wishing me a happy Sunday. I should have let it drop but couldn't, telling him I would have had a measure of respect for him if he had stuck to his views, but this collapse was nothing short of cowardly..." http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...26/srmoor26.xml

I love this paragraph. It pretty much sums the man up and I think that you have to have respect for someone like that.

As for the "oh it's okay he's French" comment I hardly think that the French can complain too much about it. They don't exactly lead the world in playing totally clean rugby. No-one does but the French reputation is well-deserved!

Latest posts