• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

More GAA buerocracy...

GAA clubs are liable to automatic suspension for allowing rugby or soccer teams to use their property.

What the dickens? Why?
Does it really harm the GAA that much to allow use of thier facilities? I can sort of understand it from an economic point of view, the GAA built the buildings, so why let anyone else use them, but to suspend the team? Bit harsh isn't it?

Sounds like a bunch of interbred fucks who like their own little society and shun outsiders.

Not too dissimilar to the RFU, one may say...

What the dickens? Why?
Does it really harm the GAA that much to allow use of thier facilities? I can sort of understand it from an economic point of view, the GAA built the buildings, so why let anyone else use them, but to suspend the team? Bit harsh isn't it?

It's reflective of an attitude that in my experiance is dying out in the GAA. You have to remember alot of these rules were drawn up when the GAA was one of the few institutions protecting Irish heritage in anincreasingly Anglecised country. The English were seen as the opressors and their sports treated with a similar disdain. Players usen't be allowed even play rugby or football!

Obviously these days attitudes have changed greatly, for the most part. I doubt anything will come of it to be honest, a suspension would be crazy, especially considering they're helping a team represnting the country. Strange though that Rangers would not have done this properly, they've got themselvesd into a bit of a bind simply through not knowing the rules. Ah well, they're a big enough club that they should have no bother.

Well Cooney was opposed to the opening of Croker if memory serves so he's probably just playing to the hardline elements which would have supported his candidacy and which is easy to do now that the IRFU and FAI are on their way back to Lansdowne.

As far as I know the players used the indoor facilities at Nemo which are rented out all year round to all and sundry, at least that was the reason given at the time.

Latest posts