• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster vs Ospreys

It will be interesting to see but while people say JT went down easy I wouldn't slam him as only he truly knows if it was legit pain but if it was then i can accept there was power but I really don't think JT can expect to hang off a guy like that and not get a return. I just hope ERC use common sense.

Anyway roll on saturday and the Liberty Stadium

Too right. O'Connall carelessly, wrecklessly & dangerously swung his arm out. Seen plenty of big bans for less so let's hope they don't get swayed "because he's a veteran Lions captain"

Bullitt he hit him with a forearm and yes it was careless but it wasn't as if JT wasn't doing anything and well English teams probably get big bans but sure that the RFI's prob.
I think majority of fans here know that the incident doesn't deserve a long ban.

Bullitt he hit him with a forearm and yes it was careless but it wasn't as if JT wasn't doing anything and well English teams probably get big bans but sure that the RFI's prob.
I think majority of fans here know that the incident doesn't deserve a long ban.

"hit him with a forearm and yes it was careless"

That is all.

Yes but in the event it wasn't with malicious intent but well even ERC have seen that as at worst it'll be a mid range offence for his crime and 5/6 weeks seems the max.

But if it seen as a lower end then 2 weeks is all he will get. Maybe look up the law he was sent off for.

but
but but

O'Connell swung his arm dangerously. And there clearly was intent to hit someone otherwise why would have he done it? Do you just swing your arms wildly nor no reason (with a fist clenched)? I don't.

"But it wasn't as if JT wasn't doing anything" isn't an excuse.

But if it seen as a lower end then 2 weeks is all he will get. Maybe look up the law he was sent off for.

http://www.irblaws.com/downloads/EN/law_10_en.pdf

10.4 DANGEROUS PLAY AND MISCONDUCT
(a) Punching or striking. A player must not strike an opponent with the fist or arm, including
the elbow, shoulder, head or knee(s).
Sanction: Penalty kick

The sanction is the same as for sections 10.4 (a)-(m) except that the penalty kick is
awarded at the place where play would restart. If that place is on the touchline or within 15
metres of it, the mark for the penalty kick is on the 15-metre line, in line with that place.

If play would restart at a 5-metre scrum, the mark for the penalty kick is at that place of the
scrum.
If play would restart with a drop-out, the non-offending team may choose to take the
penalty kick anywhere on the 22-metre line.
If a penalty kick is awarded but the offending team is guilty of further misconduct before the
kick is taken, the referee cautions or orders off the guilty player and advances the mark for
the penalty kick 10 metres. This covers both the original offence and the misconduct.
If a penalty kick is awarded to a team but a player of that team is guilty of further
misconduct before the kick is taken, the referee will caution or send-off the guilty player,
declare the kick disallowed, and award a penalty kick to the opposing team.
If an offence is committed outside the playing area while the ball is still in play, and if that
offence is not covered by any other part of this Law, the penalty kick is awarded on the 15-
metre line, in line with where the offence happened.

10.5 SANCTIONS
(a) Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned
and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes' playing time, or sent-off.
(b) A player who has been cautioned and temporarily suspended who then commits a second
cautionable offence within the Foul Play Law must be sent-off.
10.6 YELLOW AND RED CARDS
(a) When a player has been cautioned and temporarily suspended in an International match the
referee will show that player a yellow card.
(b) When a player has been sent off in an International match, the referee will show that player
a red card.
(c) For other matches the Match Organiser or Union having jurisdiction over the match may
decide upon the use of yellow and red cards.
10.7 PLAYER SENT OFF
A player who is sent-off takes no further part in the match.

There's nothing in there about bans. That's nothing to do with the lawbook.

10.5 SANCTIONS
(a) Any player who infringes any part of the Foul Play Law must be admonished, or cautioned
and temporarily suspended for a period of ten minutes' playing time, or sent-off.
(b) A player who has been cautioned and temporarily suspended who then commits a second
cautionable offence within the Foul Play Law must be sent-off.

10.6 YELLOW AND RED CARDS
(a) When a player has been cautioned and temporarily suspended in an International match the
referee will show that player a yellow card.
(b) When a player has been sent off in an International match, the referee will show that player
a red card.
(c) For other matches the Match Organiser or Union having jurisdiction over the match may
decide upon the use of yellow and red cards.

10.7 PLAYER SENT OFF
A player who is sent-off takes no further part in the match.

EDIT: Bullitt beat me there!

Read closer in the are about
- Lower range
- Mid Range
- High End

Max sanction 52weeks wit. Extreme case. I on iPhone so can't get it up but I've seen paperwork and laws of it.

Here's an interesting news report about Henson's ban 4years ago. The article mentions two other incidents where the sanctions were 9 and 6 weeks. Ideally, we should be seeing something similar, but the length of bans are highly irregular nowerdays, with many comically short compared to what was dished out a few years ago, that's why I'm expecting 2-3 weeks.

Here's the clip of Henson's incident. Seems pretty similar tbh. Both looking the other way, but blatently knew what they were doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
don't you guys think that they will take into account that he got citied in the game. He got a read card, which gave advantage to Ospreys. So IMO the ban should be short if any at all. I bet if the Ospreys had won, then there might not have even been a citing.

Tbh he'll likely get a ban.. others in the past have done stuff like it and got bans so should he. Dont think it'll be long or long enough to miss the whole of the 6N but we'll see.

Doesnt deserve to miss any of the 6N, 2 weeks would be fair considering it was dealt with on the field.

Lads ye all seem to forget the main point - Paul O'Connell was not cited (So we can presume he won't receive a lengthy ban)

http://www.ercrugby.com/images/content/IRB_Sanctions.pdf
Law 10.4(a)

We are saying it was with hand or arm - We are disputing its not the elbow.
It is already certain that the action is Lower End or at worst Middle End.
Also taken in to consideration is Paul's good disciplinary record and service to the game in Ireland along with good references from all provinces in Ireland as well as references from Wales, England, Scotland, France and South Africa.

Hearing is Thursday evening with Independent Disciplinary Hearing headed by Jeff Blackett (England).

Well he has the hearing in Dublin but we have been told it wasn't a Top End offense so that is a massive boost along with fact Paulie wasn't cited (Therefor the citing commisioner doesn't feel the action was so malicious to grade a top end offense)

Latest posts