• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster vs Ospreys

Rugby news is becoming broken record stuff. The same sensationalist whines coming from every quarter. Normally reported by the BBC.

The thing is though Berdos was poor for both teams. Now I'm no expert in scrummaging but even I could see he made a shambles of the scrummaging.

Somewhat from left field, I know but how is Wian du Preez going for Munster? I was sad to see him leave the Cheetahs.. even though Coenie Oosthuizen has really made the step up in his absence - pity he didn't get more chance in the AI's.

Du Preez has been okay so far. He's not helped by Munster having a rubbish scrummager at tighthead but holds up his own side pretty well. From what I've seen, he doesn't do too much in the loose. He's certainly an improvement overall on Marcus Horan, Munster's previous loosehead prop.

Snoop I agree Wian hasn't been immense in loose but he does a solid job always and is consistent. Also in the scrum he has been superb given the circumstances.

Except for then he has his head pushed through his own arsehole by Rautenbach.

Who you on about Bullitt - Du Preez.
If I remember was he part of scrum that had 7 players. 1 hooker 2 props 1 lock and 2 backrows with Doug Howlett too and they drove the Saints (8 man scrum) off Saints own put in. Last year.

Who you on about Bullitt - Du Preez.
If I remember was he part of scrum that had 7 players. 1 hooker 2 props 1 lock and 2 backrows with Doug Howlett too and they drove the Saints (8 man scrum) off Saints own put in. Last year.

Oh good. So what's he done since January?

Du Preez - He returned to South Africa and well I didn't see much of him there but since he's been back with us. He has been a rock in the Munster pack and well has been solid in scrum. Has performed excellent while not standing out. Has improved our scrum hugely and was a leader in Aus game. I do believe he is good enough for Springboks too if squad was picked on form

Finally got around to watching this game today. Very dissapointed from an Ospreys point of view, really should have been able to win this match when O'Connel was sent off.

Great defensive effort from Munster, especially in the last 10min when down to 14 men. Ospreys were poor in the backs though. Hook was terrible yet again, what's wrong with him? To be fair with Biggar this week, I thought he played quite well. That one up n' under that lead to Munsters third try his only big mistake. The outside backs were offering him nothing in attack. Decent showing from the forwards, but they allowed Munster to turn the ball over too often, especially in the last 10.

Wonder if Leamy will be in line for a citing aswell? He came in with a swinging arm on Gough in the last few seconds of the match. Ospreys really need to start scoring tries if they want to get out of this group. Still doable, but they're gonna have to play much better than they currently are!

Great to see Berdos is main talking point after his last 2 ERC games. (Saracens vs Leinster the other)

Paulie we've been told should get 4-6weeks possibly reduced to 2 on appeal but well that is all estimates but we will be without him in Saturday.
Somehow papers pick this week then to say Warick is leaving at end of season (not true) to Stade but well on other issues it doesn't seem there will be any more citings and Leamy didn't have intent but this is exactly what we needed for next week. This kick up the backside, back to the Walls stuff.

Munster is a different animal in this mind and well we showed that in Perpignan last year but now we have to stand up again and be counted.

The only thing that annoys me is that some people get away with loads while others get punished e.g. Powell striking McCaw and Holah Tripping Paterson but being honest I do think 2-3 weeks is fair considering the he threw his forearm back but also how Thomas (Who actually does nothing for the Ospreys anyway) was holding on to him and did make a meal out of it.

Back to the game

Munster seemed to get really fired up when O'Connell went off completely dominating the breakdown and tackle area. The Ospreys pack were very good but their backs were poor. The ball never got wide to Bowe or Fussell. I don't know what was going on at the scrum. Munster managed to get penaltys and Paul James got sin binned but The Ospreys seemed to dominate some scrums aswell. A great match to watch. Howletts try was great he is so important to Munster and O'Leary's kick was perfect. Bowes intercept was class but the Ospreys usually use Bowe much better. Biggar was ok untill the second half where his tactical and decision makeing was poor. The Ospreys pack were very good in the first half especially at the breakdown but Munster seemed to step up a gear in the second half and the Ospreys pack fell short in the last 20 mins.

Du Preez - He returned to South Africa and well I didn't see much of him there but since he's been back with us. He has been a rock in the Munster pack and well has been solid in scrum. Has performed excellent while not standing out. Has improved our scrum hugely and was a leader in Aus game. I do believe he is good enough for Springboks too if squad was picked on form

Tx for the feedback (everyone). He does have a Springbok cap, I think.. maybe it was only for the midweek team last year, can't really remember but I remember he looked a solid sort of prop. LOL, Faan Rautenbach and Daan Human don't count; they're Saffas anyhow and too old to 'count' IMO.. LOL.

Anyway, I won't be surprised if he stays as he will struggle to get his spot back at the Cheetahs. Still a pity as the Stormers could certainly have made good use of him (not overly enthusiastic about CJ van der Linde joining us) or the Bulls after probably losing Bees Roux (to jail).

While I don't condone what Paulie did, does anyone else reckon JT could sign for a Football team with the theatrical skills on display there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Olyy Munster is all in same boat as in we can accept if he gets a ban but a lengthy ban I think is ridiculous for that.

He does go down a bit easily, but I wouldn't call it a dive or hold it against him. If Quinlan had done it I'd be going crazy with praise for him! :p

Gavin Henson got 10 weeks for something very similar back in 2006. That however was rediculous, so I'd expect 2-3 weeks for Paulie.

My two cents for what its worth is that it deserved a yellow, a red card at the most was harsh, POC was held back by JT and swung his arm round to get him off, granted it connected but if he gets a long ban for it, you just have to question whats going on within the ERC.

It will be interesting to see but while people say JT went down easy I wouldn't slam him as only he truly knows if it was legit pain but if it was then i can accept there was power but I really don't think JT can expect to hang off a guy like that and not get a return. I just hope ERC use common sense.

Anyway roll on saturday and the Liberty Stadium

Latest posts