• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Murphy or Dempsey?

S

stevemagoo

Eddies Dilemma.....Who to pick at FB for Wales.....Murphy or Dempsey.

I've made my point clear, Murphy anywhere other than fullback plays like a stinky bulldog licking **** off a nettle. But playing in his preferred fullback role, he's definitely world class.

Eddy has a problem now, having shot his load before the Scotland game saying that Girv would be back in situ for the Welsh game!

Funny Article in The Irish Times finished up with how he might get over this quandry! It reads:

===============

If it was a presidential race Eddie O would win hands down. He has the furrowed brow of sincerity, the head leaning to the side, and the gift of making nonsense sound vitally important. Gatland on the other hand looks like he could do with a good laugh. One thing he can be sure of - even if he does win the Grand Slam he's unlikely to win personality of the year. He's about as colourful as air.

But as we know, it's not a presidential race and if Eddie O is to prevail, this time he's going to have to be brave. Go on, Eddie O, do the right thing! If he does, the following scenario may transpire.

Irish rugby team hotel: head coach ponders classic dilemma between head and hip.

This week E O'Sullivan visits G Dempsey's room.

EOS: Howya, Girvan? How's the hip?

GD: It's fine. Cleared up completely. Raring to go against Wales!

EOS: Oh yeah, that's great, yeah. You still look a bit stiff though, Girv. You can't peel a spud with a sieve, you know.

GD: Good point, couldn't agree with you more, but I've no stiffness at all. It's amazing how good I feel - not even slightly sore. It's as if it never happened.

EOS: You can't rush these things though. Sometimes a thing might not feel sore, but it is sore, you know? For example you can't tell if a kiwi's ripe by looking at a banana. I think we'd better not risk you against Wales. It's gonna be helter-skelter, up stick and bang 'em and see where the chips lie when the dust settles. That's Six Nations rugby. D'you follow?

GD: Not really, to be honest.

EOS: Girv, you're one of the most experienced and reliable players in the squad, but sometimes you have to squeeze out the pips before you suck on a lemon. You know?

GD: Sorry, I'm not with you.

EOS: You can't pluck a chicken with a spatula . . .

GD: Sorry, I'm . . .

EOS: Sometimes you have to buckle your belt, even if you're wearing braces . . .

GD: No, still don't get it . . .

EOS: I'm picking Geordan. See you!

Exit E O'Sullivan.

well murphy has failed miserably at full back too often for my liking, one decent game against the worst team in the competition doesn't make him a class player, if he starts at full back against Wales he will be tested defensively and I fear there may be carnage.

I'd go with Murphy too. Pick to form as we've all been demanding for years. No point pulling back now, were comitted :)

Agreed, go with Murphy. He really delivered a "Kay-Oh" knockout punch to O'Sullivan's gut when he put in that performance against Scotland.
I really couldn't believe Eddie said that we shouldn't worry, as Dempsey would be back for the Welsh game. That's great confidence you've spilt on Geordan there. :huh:

Problem is that Dempsey is not off form - he's just injured. Expect EOS to go with him.

There are times for Leicester when Murphy is an absolute magician... on his day he is a quite wonderful fullback. He is not as effective nor does he look comfortable out on the wing...
I'd go for Murphy but Dempsey is quality as well. Nice dilemma for the Irish to have.

EOS has a strange grudge against Murphy he has allways terated him unfairly he even sent him out to Argentina on the second teams tour as the only member of the first team there and every so often he completely drops Murphy of the bench and now after a man of the match performance making two tries hes getting dropped again

EOS has a strange grudge against Murphy he has allways terated him unfairly he even sent him out to Argentina on the second teams tour as the only member of the first team there and every so often he completely drops Murphy of the bench and now after a man of the match performance making two tries hes getting dropped again
[/b]

The squad hasn't even been named.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I know but EOS said dont worry Dempsy will be back and after the match went on about how good Dempsy is
Also i im not some massive Murphy fan i like both Murphy and Dempsey I just think Murphys been unfairly treated and if some plays that good they should be picked for the next match

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I know but EOS said dont worry Dempsy will be back and after the match went on about how good Dempsy is
Also i im not some massive Murphy fan i like both Murphy and Dempsey I just think Murphys been unfairly treated and if some plays that good they should be picked for the next match
[/b][/quote]

regardless of how weak the opposition were and the fact that he wasn't tested defensively, not his fault I know but it's still an unanswered question.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

regardless of how weak the opposition were and the fact that he wasn't tested defensively, not his fault I know but it's still an unanswered question.
[/b][/quote]

your right there and I know what your saying but Murphy is far more an atacking threat than Dempsy. It would be a risk to pick him because he could either make a defensive eror and concede a try or do somthing brilliant and make a try but i still think he should be picked based on the performance against scotland (i know their defense was shocking but i think Dempsy is a weak counter atacking threrat

Murphy is a classy player with lots of skill, capable of running great lines. Dempsey is a strong direct runner. A decent finisher but more solid, less flash, less creative. Murphy is awesome when on fire, but found wanting at top level when not on top form or confidence. Dempsey is good and reliable every time. Dempsey is a better tackler, whereas Murphy struggles when unable to line his man up well, but mainly against big strong runners.

2 very different players. I think Murphy should be picked when on form, (like now) and especially when Ireland probably need an extra creative player in the backs. Dempsey works best playing off his Leinster teammates in D'Arcy and O'Driscoll. Now the centre balance has changed i think Murphy should be there, especially if Wales play an open game.

Kearney can easily slot into full back is it all goes ***s up. As Tarbh says, it is a risk, expecially on the defensive side, but I feel it would be wrong to drop him now. **** it, we should be looking to go out and score 25-30 points not just ensure we dont concede.

I'd side with Murphy for the sake of the backline rather than for him being more deserving than Dempsey. We know that Kearney, Bowe, Murphy is working. Bringing in a more defensive fullback would limit the supply of ball to the two wings.

I'd rather have Murphy running it than Dempsey kicking it to the Welsh back three. Girv may be the stronger defensive player but with Murphy on I have the feeling there would be less defending to be done and far more attacking presence by the Irish team.

Dempsey's not as flash as Murphy, and certainly not as dangerous on counter attack. But he's better at finishing off moves. Now if only the backline could set up a move, it would have to be Dempsey at 15.

Latest posts