• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Music these days...

reffering to the covers being a hell of a lot worse than originals, the ones up the top probably are prime examples of when covers go bad (although i do like behind blue eyes cover) but there are some bands out there that have done awsome covers.

eg.

Foo fighters - Band on the run http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSIUrba-aoc...feature=related

very good cover, some argue better than original but thats all personal opinion.

I also found this too

a band called Machinae Supremacy covering Britney spears' gimme more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENG7LXMovuE

[/b]

haha that foo fighters song is a bit of a laugh! bit like kung-fu fighting!

Real music is dead since 79. In how many today songs do you listen to parts that make you think: wow this man really knows how to use his instruments ? None. When was the last time you listened to a good guitar solo ? The only people that can still be labelled as musicians today are ppl playing Jazz, Classical music (although not a lot of creativity in that obviously) and progressive music (be it rock or jazz or metal). Anyway music is an industry as are movies.

I wish Frank Zappa was still alive...

Real music is dead since 79. In how many today songs do you listen to parts that make you think: wow this man really knows how to use his instruments ?[/b]

Er? James Dean Bradfield, Johnny Greenwood and Matthew Bellamy to name a few. I could go on to say Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Andrew Innes...

When was the last time you listened to a good guitar solo ?[/b]

Manic Street Preachers - "You love us" I listened to today.
Oasis - "Step out"
Muse - "Newborn" or just the proper opening chords for "The Groove."

Like I said, real music isn't dead...

<div class='quotemain'> Real music is dead since 79. In how many today songs do you listen to parts that make you think: wow this man really knows how to use his instruments ?[/b]

Er? James Dean Bradfield, Johnny Greenwood and Matthew Bellamy to name a few. I could go on to say Paul Weller, Noel Gallagher, Andrew Innes...
[/b][/quote]

you do know, that all of those artists have been around for 10+ years...

i really havent seen anything worth while in the 2000's that havent been formed off bands prior. i wont go as far as saying that music died in the 80's, but it did in the end of the 90's.

<div class='quotemain'> Real music is dead since 79. In how many today songs do you listen to parts that make you think: wow this man really knows how to use his instruments ?[/b]

When was the last time you listened to a good guitar solo ?[/b]

Manic Street Preachers - "You love us" I listened to today.
Oasis - "Step out"
Muse - "Newborn" or just the proper opening chords for "The Groove."

Like I said, real music isn't dead...
[/b][/quote]

Yes, but it sure as hell isn't as good as it used to be.

And on Frank Zappa... he was awesome! Check out this masterpiece lol;

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=j2nJn6rZdtI

This at least shows that songs back then with no real meaning what so ever were still brilliant. Unlike ****** boy, I mean soulja boy.

And just a side note, does anyone else agree that all things great about music generally comes from the UK? I mean, when I single out all my favourite bands, I'm only left with British bands.

Just something to think about.

So what, Sambad? The guy asserted that there have been no decent guitarists since 1979 not 1999. That statement is blatantly untrue.

Since then, there are still good muscians around like Alex Turner and Jamie Cook of the Arctic Monkeys. The music hasn't neccessarily died. If you think theres crap concealing the musical gems today, what about the 1990s when Take That and nsync ruled the world? What about the 1980s when people were seriously discussing doing away with precussion instruments and guitars period? I don't even want to go there...

We do tend to look back on the past with rose tinted specs, things weren't as amazingly healthy in regards to music back then as people imagine.

EDIT: as for, "not as good as it used to be" I think thats a matter of opinion. Radiohead has done an incredible amount of good for prog rock and I'd consider them on an equal footing with Pink Floyd. I could listen to "Paranoid Android" and consider it on the same level as "Comfortably Numb".

So what, Sambad? The guy asserted that there have been no decent guitarists since 1979 not 1999. That statement is blatantly untrue.

Since then, there are still good muscians around like Alex Turner and Jamie Cook of the Arctic Monkeys. The music hasn't neccessarily died. If you think theres crap concealing the musical gems today, what about the 1990s when Take That and nsync ruled the world? What about the 1980s when people were seriously discussing doing away with precussion instruments and guitars period? I don't even want to go there...

We do tend to look back on the past with rose tinted specs, things weren't as amazingly healthy in regards to music back then as people imagine.

EDIT: as for, "not as good as it used to be" I think thats a matter of opinion. Radiohead has done an incredible amount of good for prog rock and I'd consider them on an equal footing with Pink Floyd. I could listen to "Paranoid Android" and consider it on the same level as "Comfortably Numb".
[/b]

OK then, fair enough. But tell me, how many bands these days can sell out concerts and as many records etc as they did back in the day. In an era where The Who, Pink Floyd, Led Zep, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Cream etc... were all making stuff at the very same time. Even if one of those bands were aligned with our current era I would be happy.

My point being, look at all those great musicians from that era and compare them to the ones these days. They can't lay a finger on them. They even admit it themselves.

I do love bands such as Oasis and Radiohead to some extent, thing is they just don't write material like they used to. Or play their instruments as well. Tell me, is there anyone as good as Clapton, Page, Santana, Gilmour, Hendrix currently?

I disagree that Radiohead can't play their instruments as well today than in 1998 simply because cause you simply can't pin them down onto one strand of music. Thats the fun of prog rock, one minute they're tearing up guitars, next thing its electronica, the next jazz and then an acoustic set with pianos.

As far as I know, all of the above bands I mentioned sell out on a regular basis. Oasis tickets are still like gold dust today if theres even a hint of a tour and sell out within five minutes. The same goes with Radiohead and Muse.

This isn't about who is better. Artists like Johnny Greenwood are incredibly humble and modest about their superb talents and lay (rightful) plaudits at the feet of the likes of Gilmour and Page. At the same time, those elder statesmen of prog rock are themselves pretty damn modest themselves and insist that bands like Radiohead are the rightful heirs of their crowns, that they're satisfied that they have passed the baton onto those who are just as capable as them.

These days we are way too cynical and negative about music today.

Oasis taught us to search record shops and look beyond the main album and the single and search for the b-side, the obscure band, even the entire genre to form your own favourites and enjoy music that you have spent good time searching for.

I think this reflects a certain laziness in today's fan that we just can't be bothered to even search itunes for new music and new artists. The web has spawned a huge array of blogs, independent and alternative music sites and other facilities dedicated to letting you perform what our older brothers and sisters used to do in a record shop 10 to 20 years ago, in the comfort of our home on our home PC today and yet we feel better sitting here bemoaning the state of music and expecting the big labels to deliver music to us on a plate. Wrong attitude and a total waste of music talent today.

Since then, there are still good muscians around like Alex Turner and Jamie Cook of the Arctic Monkeys.

EDIT: as for, "not as good as it used to be" I think thats a matter of opinion. Radiohead has done an incredible amount of good for prog rock and I'd consider them on an equal footing with Pink Floyd. I could listen to "Paranoid Android" and consider it on the same level as "Comfortably Numb". [/b]

If you think the Arctic Monkeys are good musicians then we'll have to agree to disagree. Talking about guitarists, where are today's Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jimi Hendrix, BB King, Wes Montgomery, George benson ? John Petrucci and Michael Romeo have a good technique but that's about it. Oh and Radiohead being prog rock, ahem...I wouldn't say so but aye, to each one his opinion right.

They are art rock/prog rock, thats their genre. Its not an opinion, its a statement of fact. If not then what category do they fit in then? Don't just harrumph and say "ahem", give me a counterpoint. If you think I'm wrong then why am I wrong? Don't just say "I wouldn't say so but aye, to each one his opinion right" in a really smug way and then not say anything else.

The Arctic Monkeys are good because they combine excellent social commentary with superbly crafted songs. When you listen to the Arctic Monkeys, you're listening to music that actually means something. A subsection of British music traditionally tends to revolve around story telling mixed in with social & political agitation and Alex Turner, Jarvis Cocker, Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Nicky Wire, Joe Strummer are just some of the guys who, post 1979 have produced superb music. You just need to dig down and find it. I find it incredible that nobody has mentioned The Clash or Manic Street Peachers or Billy Bragg...

They are art rock/prog rock, thats their genre. Its not an opinion, its a statement of fact. If not then what category do they fit in then? Don't just harrumph and say "ahem", give me a counterpoint. If you think I'm wrong then why am I wrong? Don't just say "I wouldn't say so but aye, to each one his opinion right" in a really smug way and then not say anything else.

The Arctic Monkeys are good because they combine excellent social commentary with superbly crafted songs. When you listen to the Arctic Monkeys, you're listening to music that actually means something. A subsection of British music traditionally tends to revolve around story telling mixed in with social & political agitation and Alex Turner, Jarvis Cocker, Paul Weller, Billy Bragg, Nicky Wire, Joe Strummer are just some of the guys who, post 1979 have produced superb music. You just need to dig down and find it. I find it incredible that nobody has mentioned The Clash or Manic Street Peachers or Billy Bragg... [/b]

Okay, lot of things to say here.

Radiohead may be labelled prog, it's just that in my opinion they are just a rock band. IMHO they are not in the same league as Pink Floyd, ore even more Soft Machine, Caravan, Frank Zappa etc... :)

The "smug" way may be perceived as such because it is difficult for me to express my views precisely in well written english. :wall:

About the social commentary thing. First, think about all the people who don't understand the lyrics. :bleh!: They're left with just the music. Secondly, and this is only my opinion, if you consider the lyrics and the music, well they may be nice words but the music is not that good, sorry.
Just over-basic pop we have since 30 years. In my opinion no matter how good the lyrics be, instrumental part is the most important. Words are a bonus. I prefer Zappa( for instance): great musicians, superb solos, very unique genre, plus good lyrics. Good musicians don't need words to tell you stories. Listen to John Coltrane and you'll see what I mean. Pop/Rock/Songwriters just bore me, sorry. :bleh!:
I know this seems ott to most people , that's also why I give "smug" answers :ph34r:

Charles

Radiohead may be labelled prog, it's just that in my opinion they are just a rock band. IMHO they are not in the same league as Pink Floyd, ore even more Soft Machine, Caravan, Frank Zappa etc... :)

The "smug" way may be perceived as such because it is difficult for me to express my views precisely in well written english. :wall: [/b]

Thats. Better. To quote crap R&B: "You can do it if you put your back into-it."

Even real classical music isn't dead nowadays, anyone disagreeing with me should go out and buy the 'requiem for a dream' soundtrack, beautiful music brought to you by the Kronos Quartet.

Somerthing completely else, I'm continually trying to re-discover music I heard when I was much younger, and that stuck in my head.

Am I a dweeb for remembering this thing:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mpHLEm9-0bg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mpHLEm9-0bg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I dislike it most when musicians steal a bit of older music, and pass it on as their own.

Stand by me was recently covered as you're beautiful or something similar, and Rihanna's SOS definetly has something I recognise, and it's not new.

Am I a dweeb for remembering this thing[/b]
I wish you hadn't! And aren't you too young to "remember" that thing?

The 70s had everything, and I'm not just talking ABBA, Blondie and Stevie Wonder (when he was good). Two examples -

The happiest tune ever, courtesy of the muppets (3 minutes):
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ynjIoymWHvU&...feature=related

One of the great howls of sorrow - fitting for Easter:
http://mog.com/music/Dawn_Upshaw
9 minutes - press the red button, click the monitor off and turn up the volume, then sit back in a darkened room and feel the hair on the back of your neck rise. It is sublime. Thank you Poland (composer), and Nashville (singer).

It's odd, I'm just trying to find as many Abba songs as I possible can XD And I'm being pretty succesful at it too!

And, I stumbled across these talented young ladies (you HAVE to watch the film :p )

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrsF7wdUQdg&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xrsF7wdUQdg&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

About the Skatman, I remember being seven (or something) and seeing the clip on the television, I think it was followed by 'I wanna be a hippy'?
And I had (still have it somewhere) a Smurf CD that had Smurf versions of all sorts of songs, and Scatman john's Scatworld was one of the covered songs XD
I know music from well before my parents were born (and I'm not refering to Tsjaikowsky for once), I like old music Xd Terribly wrong old music at times :p

And just a side note, does anyone else agree that all things great about music generally comes from the UK? I mean, when I single out all my favourite bands, I'm only left with British bands.

Just something to think about.
[/b]

no im 100% with you. if i rattled off my favorite bands, pink floyd, led zeppelin, rolling stones, beatles, clash, sex pistols, black sabbath, clapton, oasis, phill collins, police, queen, the who and the yardbirds, all brittish! its crazy. then you take out all the canadians, like lou reed, neil young, and your left with qotsa, foo fighters, ramones and ccr pulling the usa...

[/b]

cmon, your clutching at straws and you know it. clearly there has been good gutarists since then - none as good as page, hendrix, gilmore. but lets face it, from the 90's on, slash, morello and cobain are regarded as the best gutarists, and cobain could bearly play!!

but i think it is important to be cycnical about music tho pestwrick. in todays culture - how is most music acsessed? internet. lett it be illegail downloads or stores such as itunes. now the problem is, would you download a song which isnt a single? the answer is, no. so instead of intelligent musicions being able to make a masterpeice such as the wall, in particular, they are going to have to make a cd which is a best of. i dont think i have EVER come accross a best of album that comes close to a studio album. you listen to any pink floyd or led zeppelin album, and you tell me that the best of is more forfilling than the album. so now we have bands who put out one crafty song, and not be able to back it up. im looking at you razorlight. then you get bands who get descovered on myspace etc, who have no imput from record producers. now belive it or not, forget what bands have told you, and it might come as an extreme shock but.... .,... ... record producers actually know what thier talking about. they know what is successfull. sure they might chew up and spit out bands, but ones that are good, will be looked after.

The Masturbators are a great band. From the UK, aren't they?

Anyone else think the Rolling Stones are shite?

The Masturbators are a great band. From the UK, aren't they?

Anyone else think the Rolling Stones are shite?
[/b]

Not shite. Just over rated. I'd always include them in my playlist, but they do get talked about more than what they warrant. And anyone else hear that Keith Richards is the new face for Louis Vuitton? LOL!!!
706784.jpg

And in my argument comparing past music to present, yes today we have the likes of Oasis to brag about but even they go back to the early 90's. Now, if we look at the music coming out RIGHT NOW, who do we have? My Chemical Romance? Scissor Sisters? And all those money loving R&B artists. It looks very bleak indeed.

And in my argument comparing past music to present, yes today we have the likes of Oasis to brag about but even they go back to the early 90's. Now, if we look at the music coming out RIGHT NOW, who do we have? My Chemical Romance? Scissor Sisters? And all those money loving R&B artists. It looks very bleak indeed.
[/b]
The Arcade Fire, Muse, The Mars Volta, Wolfmother, The Strokes, The Shins, all relatively newish bands (eg not early 90's) and all pretty good in thier own area...and those are the ones relatively on the surface as well, I suggest stop watching Saturday morning music clip shows and turn off the commercial radio....it will cause you much pain...

Latest posts