• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Music these days...

<div class='quotemain'>
And in my argument comparing past music to present, yes today we have the likes of Oasis to brag about but even they go back to the early 90's. Now, if we look at the music coming out RIGHT NOW, who do we have? My Chemical Romance? Scissor Sisters? And all those money loving R&B artists. It looks very bleak indeed.
[/b]
The Arcade Fire, Muse, The Mars Volta, Wolfmother, The Strokes, The Shins, all relatively newish bands (eg not early 90's) and all pretty good in thier own area...and those are the ones relatively on the surface as well, I suggest stop watching Saturday morning music clip shows and turn off the commercial radio....it will cause you much pain...
[/b][/quote]

You see, this is my point. I NEVER listen to, or watch those shows. I only listen to music I own, or radio Hauraki which is classic rock. What does that tell me? Without paying any attention to the music scene today, the only bands I can name are the likes of my chemical romance, lil wayne, lil mama.... That tells me that this is the shite which is setting the music scene for most young people.

That is my point, this is the stuff that is selling. Ask anyone young kid who Muse, Wolfmother etc are and they won't have a clue. It's all about souljah boy and his stupid 1-2 step dance.

With all that good music out like the mars volta, why are they not as mainstream as those ghastly r&b artists?

With all that good music out like the mars volta, why are they not as mainstream as those ghastly r&b artists?
[/b]
It doesn't sell, it never has....remember in the 70's disco was king....not your Woodstock related band type music....it's always been the case the only way to find good movies/music anything is to get out there and put in an effort...let the commoners stew in thier rubbish music....

<div class='quotemain'>
And in my argument comparing past music to present, yes today we have the likes of Oasis to brag about but even they go back to the early 90's. Now, if we look at the music coming out RIGHT NOW, who do we have? My Chemical Romance? Scissor Sisters? And all those money loving R&B artists. It looks very bleak indeed.
[/b]
The Arcade Fire, Muse, The Mars Volta, Wolfmother, The Strokes, The Shins, all relatively newish bands (eg not early 90's) and all pretty good in thier own area...and those are the ones relatively on the surface as well, I suggest stop watching Saturday morning music clip shows and turn off the commercial radio....it will cause you much pain... [/b][/quote]

exactly. indy bands, and bands who think there garage rock are popular. but indy will get you no-where!!

serously, ive herd one arcade fire song, and i was like, are you serious? whats wolfmother ever done apart from been talked up? what have the strokes done since thier debute, where their best song, new york city cops getting taken off the radio.

what really ****** me off is that bands like mcr panic at the disco (the fact that i know these bands scares me) have done exactly what the sex pistols have done, but instead of being angry, and rebellious, it preaces dreppressing feelings, and struggle. its bullshit. IF YOUR GOING TO WEAR MAKEUP - BE ANGRY, GROW SOME BALLS AND GO INTO THE CROWD, SMACK SOMEONE WITH YOUR BASS GUITAR AND PLAY ON!

serously, ive herd one arcade fire song, and i was like, are you serious? whats wolfmother ever done apart from been talked up? what have the strokes done since thier debute, where their best song, new york city cops getting taken off the radio.
[/b]
Arcade Fire: It's not my thing but there is no denying thier music is original, and some of the artists that you are complaining there seems to be no equivelent too were probably wierded people out yet in hindsight they did some original and important things for music....

Wolfmother: They played some rock which was without all the bells and whistles that all the other rock bands have, they play psychadelic rock, like these great 70's rock artists....

Strokes:They continually put out very decent tunes, if you actually chase the music up then you will know what I mean...

Why are you even talking about Wolfmother being talked up anyhow, the fact that you listen to all the stuff the media goes on about shows the fundamental problem with the way you listen to music...you shold be discoverign the music you like not listening what some douche on the television says....

If the rock bands were putting out music like in the 70's then it would be a digression in music...atm music is in the stage where it is a mixture of many different styles.....70's rock, 80's style music has also infltrated its way in....it's basically a mish mash of music and the fact that you think it is rubbish perhaps has something to do with your musical taste, not what is coming out...I would have agreed with you a few years ago however there is alot of bands atm that are trying new things, finding thier own voice different to the carbon copy music that were doing the rounds in the late 90's....

I just like it that we're discussing my favourite band of all time (Oasis...sorry, its a 90s thing, definitely maybe was the first ever album I got) as one of the big greats ^^

I personally think there are plenty of fantastic bands and artists around these days. Of course the chances of hearing these bands on mainstream radio is nonexistent.

For anyone into 'metal' check out this trailer for the upcoming Evergrey album 'Torn':
http://www.evergrey.net/index2.php

Sweden in particular is blessed with metal bands...

Opeth
Pain of Salvation
Wolverine
Evergrey
Katatonia

I'm sure many of you have never heard of them but all these bands make fantastic music and are superb musicians.

Lol... I heard this on my school bus one day.. some 13/14 year old girls were palying it on their phone.. me and my mate burst out laughing cause all we heard was Throw some Ds on that *****...It were pretty funny.. but basically an example of little kids trying to be like everyone else, listening to the same music, thinking getting ****** every night is cool.

It's quite funny they was talkin about going to a club for an -18s night.. what fun.. and talkin about having to get drunk before going lol... ****** me off how they try to act older by doing stuff like that and dressing the same and trying to get boyfriends when they're about | this high.

Anyway, there is tonnes of good music coming out, but they're not as successful or well-known to the general public as ****-pop. Which is sad. What talent do you need to produce some of their music.. none.

Music these days is not as good as back in the days because you can just download it off the net and not have to pay for it. It's somewhat lost it's novelty because of this and young people these days have got all the albums in the world without ever stepping inside an music store so they don't really know that feeling of getting their 1st album, single, compilation or soundtrack. Music has all gone digital so I guess it's all the same for them these days.

I use to love listening to songs I aint heard in ages come on the radio and for that 4-5mins all my memories would be brought back and because it use to be hard to find songs because you the only way to get them was to go outa town to a music store it was of more value to listen to. Nowadays it just doesn't have that same effect because I know I can just jump on the computer and download it.

The same way video killed the radio star, digital has killed the analogue star. It sux but it's true everythings digital these days only a few people are still on analogue but it's like everything else people are continuously improving things to make them easier but at the same time killing all the fun.

I hope something or someone comes along to fix music I'm not saying it's crap these days I'm just saying it might need a helping hand every now and then.

@ Vambo

Opeth is a superb band. If you like them I recommend you try to listen to Camel, a 70' English prog rock band, which is a main influence of Johan Akerfeld.

@ Vambo

Opeth is a superb band. If you like them I recommend you try to listen to Camel, a 70' English prog rock band, which is a main influence of Johan Akerfeld.
[/b]

I was brought up listening to a lot of the prog bands from the 70's :)

Moon Madness & Rain Dances are my fave albums by Camel :bravo:

Mine have to be MoonMadness, Snow Goose and the Double Live.

Do you know Soft Machine ? Superb Prog Jazz band, really.

OK then, fair enough. But tell me, how many bands these days can sell out concerts and as many records etc as they did back in the day.
[/b]

As a record label signed musician I can assure you that internet is killing the record-selling industry at an incredible pace. Selling a record now is simply light years away from what it used to be back when Zappa was kickin the stages. In the other hand, this helps bands to get more audience, so selling out concerts is really more achievable now than back then.

Getting back to rap music, yeah, american rap/hip hop is most likely unpleasant (with clear exceptions like the Beastie Boys). But in fact I really enjoy french an british rap/hip hop. Obviously not the one that talks about ho's and pimpin. And another thing...

What's the fuss about that "emo" crap? :huh: It's juts girly-looking boys who'll just scream about practically anything. THAT I hate.

haha yeah emo is ****. i cant stand it. and its 70% of current "rock" music too. its so dreadful. try living in wellington, where every 2nd persons a emo. it sucks. dressing up and being angry is ok when your a punk band, but if your not out to kick someones ass - dont put on makeup. dont dress in black, and dont complain about emotions. rock stars dont have emotions. they have heroin

This is my interpretation of what music is about in this day and age,

http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Jr3M3tL94

"Throw some deez on that *****, deez on that *****........" Pathetic isn't it?

I'd rather listen to Cyndi Lauper than this ****.

What's the point? Singing about pimpin dem hoez, getin da bling bling, low ridin on 24z, stepin in2 da klub, and "throwing D's on that *****" etc.......... it just goes on.

What do you think?

I know there is good music these days, but it's crap like this that tops all the billboards and makes all the music videos, exposed to kids who then take it on board as being cool. Sad, just sad.
[/b]

seriously, anyone who knows anything about hiphop knows that this stuff is ****.

In the US, the market who buys hiphop is middle class white people. They go to the concerts and they buy the albums. Middle class white people like the image of a thugged out gangsta ****a. Just like 5 pretty boys crooning (boyzone, westlife, busted...) is the marketable image for teenage girls.

Now, there's so much **** out there, I agree. But it really isn't about 'music these days'. Back in the 60s the pop music was equally bad as it is now, the stuff we remeber is the innovative stuff. The Beatles released innovative albums and poppy singles. Nowadays, there's a ton of awesome new music, you just have to look for it.

I'll leave you with a few quotes:

K'naan (a rapper/ poet from Mogadishu, Somalia): "If I rhymed about home and got descriptive, I'd make 50 Cent look like Limp Bizkit".

Akala (from West London) "All these rappers on the TV talkin' **** 'bout how they buss their strap and yah yah yah, yoot dem don't listen to them they're talkin' nonsense, they live in big nice houses, they got security & bodyguards & people to take care of them, it's an illusion you understand? And all the *****es, the chains and necklaces in the videos? It's just ********, man, that's nobody's reality. When did the 'hood become so sweet? That's not any 'hood I've ever been in, understand? The 'hood I know is miserable. The 'hood I know, everybody's tryin' ta get out of. So why all these rappers dyin' to get back in again? Whay all these rappers dyin' to be rude boys? The rude boys I know are dyin' to be legitimate. So it's just nonsense man, be honest, be yourself..."

Getting back to rap music, yeah, american rap/hip hop is most likely unpleasant (with clear exceptions like the Beastie Boys). But in fact I really enjoy french an british rap/hip hop. Obviously not the one that talks about ho's and pimpin. And another thing... [/b]

You heard of Goldie Lookin' Chain? Its superb!

I agree with GingaG, between 1979 and 1993 we lost the art of looking for music, searching for the b-sides and accumilating a collection. When the Compact Disc arrived, everyone thought that collecting an album collection was dead when the complete opposite was true. Even if CD sales are tanking, whats stopping you from burning your downloads onto CD for your Car CD multichanger or living room hi-fi?! Anyone at all remember that HP advert with the Macy Gray lookalike burning music to a CD with her living room packed with shelves full of burnt music?!

The music that you seek is out there, you just have to spend some time looking for it, both in the record shop and online, just like our older brotherrs and our parents used to back in the 60s and 70s.

haha yeah emo is ****. i cant stand it. and its 70% of current "rock" music too. its so dreadful. try living in wellington, where every 2nd persons a emo. it sucks. dressing up and being angry is ok when your a punk band, but if your not out to kick someones ass - dont put on makeup. dont dress in black, and dont complain about emotions. rock stars dont have emotions. they have heroin
[/b]

Yeah, here in Mexico is pretty much the same. Emos everywhere. There's a campaign called Anti-Emo going on and they kick emo ass. Newspapers even publish descriptions of "emo people" so parents can tell their emo offspring to put themselves together or else they'll get seriously injured. I don't support this or any kind of violence, but I guess it will clean the city.

You heard of Goldie Lookin' Chain? Its superb!

[/b]

No, I havent'! I'll look them up. Any favorite songs?

I hate rap! I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it!!!!!

What kind of self respecting African American calls themselves one of the most foul and derogatory terms about; "****er", out of hand. What type pf psychological disorder would drive someone to name themselves "t-payne" for christ's sake (excuse the blasphemy). In MTV one finds a channel which manages to condense the most putrid s****y music on earth into a half hour show. If i offend any fans of rap, it can't be helped because frankly i'm offended by what is served up from these buffoons

What kind of self respecting African American calls themselves one of the most foul and derogatory terms about; "****er", out of hand.
[/b]
Well most rappers would just do it to fit in but I believe the original use of the word was to basically take away its derogatory power....and I believe it has worked...by the way, it's '****a'....different word and that...

<div class='quotemain'>
What kind of self respecting African American calls themselves one of the most foul and derogatory terms about; "****er", out of hand.
[/b]
Well most rappers would just do it to fit in but I believe the original use of the word was to basically take away its derogatory power....and I believe it has worked...by the way, it's '****a'....different word and that...
[/b][/quote]

Hardly. Why is it ok for hispanics to use the N word? They don't have any association with it, yet hispanic rappers such as Cypress Hill always use it. If an asian or european used it then it's racist. Absolute bullshit.

And KZNSharksFan, you are so spot on with the truth you deserve a rep.

I hate rap! I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it!!!!!

What kind of self respecting African American calls themselves one of the most foul and derogatory terms about; "****er", out of hand. What type pf psychological disorder would drive someone to name themselves "t-payne" for christ's sake (excuse the blasphemy). In MTV one finds a channel which manages to condense the most putrid s****y music on earth into a half hour show. If i offend any fans of rap, it can't be helped because frankly i'm offended by what is served up from these buffoons
[/b]

i am offended, not necessarily because you dislike hiphop but because you have generalised the entire genre...

check out the skilful yricism and deep content

Latest posts