• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Music these days...

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Why are we even talking about Rap? Isn't this a thread to discuss music? [/b]

Because rap is the worst part of music. All it is is words being spoken at a very fast speed.
[/b][/quote]

almost worth a negative rep for sheer ignorance. is rock music simply people twanging bits of wire? mug. [/b][/quote]

Am I not allowed to have my own opinion and view it in any way I wish? :wacko: Thought this was a forum?

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Why are we even talking about Rap? Isn't this a thread to discuss music? [/b]

Because rap is the worst part of music. All it is is words being spoken at a very fast speed.
[/b][/quote]

almost worth a negative rep for sheer ignorance. is rock music simply people twanging bits of wire? mug. [/b][/quote]

Am I not allowed to have my own opinion and view it in any way I wish? :wacko: Thought this was a forum?
[/b][/quote]

Aye! I agree heartily with thine comments on "rap"

I always misused the term "rap". I used to label all types of r&b rap but know I realise. To me, rap is Nas, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang etc... which is not all that bad.

It's stuff like Souljah Boy, Chris Brown and all those gimps that are the stain on the music industry, this is not rap, it is r&b.

So basically r&b is the garbage we have to put up with.

There a few great bands making stuff at the moment. Radiohead, Arcade Fire and The Mars Volta being some of them. Then there's stuff like Modest Mouse, Oasis, Sonic Youth etc... which I suppose could be classed as todays music even though they've been around for a while.

But I'd say 80% of TODAYS (stuff as new as this year) music is rubbish. The last decent album to come out was at the end of last year and that was Radiohead's, that is quite poor if you ask me.

I always misused the term "rap". I used to label all types of r&b rap but know I realise. To me, rap is Nas, Dr. Dre, Wu Tang etc... which is not all that bad.

It's stuff like Souljah Boy, Chris Brown and all those gimps that are the stain on the music industry, this is not rap, it is r&b.

So basically r&b is the garbage we have to put up with.

There a few great bands making stuff at the moment. Radiohead, Arcade Fire and The Mars Volta being some of them. Then there's stuff like Modest Mouse, Oasis, Sonic Youth etc... which I suppose could be classed as todays music even though they've been around for a while.

But I'd say 80% of TODAYS (stuff as new as this year) music is rubbish. The last decent album to come out was at the end of last year and that was Radiohead's, that is quite poor if you ask me. [/b]

Very true. Music has went downhill for the past 10/15 years, in my opinion. Also I think the USA brought the beginning of "rap" and "RnB" The USA also brought the beginning of great music, eg. Elvis

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

no. there's having an opinion, which is a considered view based on facts or at least a grain of common sense; then there's spouting out **** which doesn't deserve to be called an opinion. Of course, you're 'allowed' to say whatever you like so go ahead, but I'm also 'allowed' to patronise you whenever I like...

@ wairarapa, you make a good point... the garbage is what i call hip-pop, it's made for the white US audience who buys the records and goes to the concerts, it exists to make money which is why there's no skillful lyricism or message with the songs... the only thing that is of any quality is the production, which is incredible. It's the same with all modern pop music, from spice girls to madonna and chris brown... exists for commercial reasons.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

no. there's having an opinion, which is a considered view based on facts or at least a grain of common sense; then there's spouting out **** which doesn't deserve to be called an opinion. Of course, you're 'allowed' to say whatever you like so go ahead, but I'm also 'allowed' to patronise you whenever I like...

@ wairarapa, you make a good point... the garbage is what i call hip-pop, it's made for the white US audience who buys the records and goes to the concerts, it exists to make money which is why there's no skillful lyricism or message with the songs... the only thing that is of any quality is the production, which is incredible. It's the same with all modern pop music, from spice girls to madonna and chris brown... exists for commercial reasons. [/b][/quote]

Ah so I can view my own opinions. Then don't be so childish when you read something you don't like and get on your high horse by saying you'll give me a neg rep because of my "sheer ignorance"

I agree with Gavin. Rap is ********.

I once went to the Def Jam offices to complain about the rap-crap on the radio. There I was, a lone white boy in the middle of all these 'roided "gangstas" (who I may add wouldn't know a Godfather from Grandfather clock). I didn't hold back however and really let them know what I thought of their so called "music". Then they pulled out their weapons. Err, I mean guns.

So, what did I do, you ask? I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, the license plate said "FRESH" and there were dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "naw forget it, yo home to bel-air!"

I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabbie "yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there.

To settle my throne as the prince of bel-air.

I agree with Gavin. Rap is ********.

I once went to the Def Jam offices to complain about the rap-crap on the radio. There I was, a lone white boy in the middle of all these 'roided "gangstas" (who I may add wouldn't know a Godfather from Grandfather clock). I didn't hold back however and really let them know what I thought of their so called "music". Then they pulled out their weapons. Err, I mean guns.

So, what did I do, you ask? I whistled for a cab, and when it came near, the license plate said "FRESH" and there were dice in the mirror. If anything I could say that this cab was rare, but I thought "naw forget it, yo home to bel-air!"

I pulled up to the house about seven or eight and I yelled to the cabbie "yo homes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom, I was finally there.

To settle my throne as the prince of bel-air. [/b]

:lol:

If anyone uses iTunes on there computer go to the radio section of it and click on Classic Rock and choose to listen to All Classic Hits (181.FM) Now that is proper music, were you can hear every word they are singing - not speaking gingergenius

^^^ Agreed. Rap to me is nothing more than useless rhyming phrases used for skateboarding video's and American football. I don't see how it can be called music really. Another thing that ****** me off about it is the trend here in South Africa where everyone is mistaking themselves for blood relatives of EMINEM.

I once bumped into one of those guys that wear the baseball shirts that covered his knees along with a cap over a bandanna that just touches the tip of his head. He then nodded his head like a rap star and called me a mother f***er. Naturally, i ignored him as i didn't want to start anything unnecessary. Then he said :

"Are yo disrespecting me white boy?" That kind of made me lose it. . . what happened next isn't really relevant though.

But yeah, rubbish music IN MY OPINION, and i hate the attitudes of any rap artist, and i hate any stupidly common deuchebag that drives around with all of his windows open pumping some retarded "I will cap your ass with glass because with brass we will play jazz etc etc" out of his car...

But thats just me...

Reading through again...

<div class='quotemain'>some of slipknot's influence, especially their earlier stuff, comes from rap anyway... <_< [/b]

Dude!

Wait.... What? :huh:
[/b][/quote]

:lol2tn: Thats what i was thinking!

ok, so hiphop isn't music cos there's no singing

1) you're all idiots because there's no singing in a lot of mozart's stuff either.
2) you're all idiots because a lot of the choruses have singing
3) you're all idiots because you're calling something 'proper music' which is a totally subjective description and doesn't mean anything.
4) a hell of a lot of effort goes into the making of most hiphop beats, which have tunes, melodies bars etc. and is therefore music
5) slipknot initially were a nu metal band. Nu metal is widely accepted as having influences from hiphop. So you're all idiots there as well.
6) you're all idiots fullstop for making false generalisations, and having narrow boring tastes.
7) whatever mite says is gospel.

1) you're all idiots because there's no singing in a lot of mozart's stuff either.
3) you're all idiots because you're calling something 'proper music' which is a totally subjective description and doesn't mean anything.
4) a hell of a lot of effort goes into the making of most hiphop beats, which have tunes, melodies bars etc. and is therefore music
5) slipknot initially were a nu metal band. Nu metal is widely accepted as having influences from hiphop. So you're all idiots there as well.
6) you're all idiots fullstop for making false generalisations, and having narrow boring tastes.
7) whatever mite says is gospel. [/b]

Someone is cluching at straws :p Calm down, it's not that we are having a go at you because you are ginger, it's just cause we believe rap isn't music - chilax :) Also saying that we have narrow boring tastes is a bit rude. It's what people believe is interesting. For example, I find ancient history and archaeology very intersting, would you call that a narrow boring taste? Then you would be generalising.

<div class='quotemain'> ok, so hiphop isn't music cos there's no singing

Someone is cluching at straws :p Calm down, it's not that we are having a go at you because you are ginger, it's just cause we believe rap isn't music - chilax :) Also saying that we have narrow boring tastes is a bit rude. It's what people believe is interesting. For example, I find ancient history and archaeology very intersting, would you call that a narrow boring taste? Then you would be generalising.
[/b][/quote]

no, you miss the point. i don't care whether you like or dislike something, that's not an issue. it's how you arrive at your conclusions which makes you idiots.

what ****** me off is the fact that you dismiss something you clearly don't understand. it's like me saying archaeology isn't a real subject because *insert subjective generalised opinion here*. I don't know f*** all about archaeology... I've seen TimeTeam a bit and that's about it, I haven't been on any digs and I've made no effort to get into it. I can't say I find it very interesting, but that doesn't mean it's a bad subject...

see what I mean? Now, if you took time to look at hiphop; to look at a wide range of it (as in gangsta rap, jazz-hiphop, golden age, grime, french, conscious, hip-pop, crunk etc. etc.), took time to analyse the lyrics, understand their context, message, any rhyme pattern, metaphors, took time to look at it like you would poetry, took time to get into the beats and be able to say "that beat sounds typical of RZA/ Dr Dre / whoever" and all the rest of it, and then you say "no, actually, I don't like it"; then you have an intelligently founded opinion.

As it is what ****** me off is that all of you are dismissing something when it is evident from your criticisms that you have a very limited knowledge about it. It's just as bad as the people who say that there's been no good rock n roll since pink floyd and led zeppelin.

Gaw, you're kicking this one 'til it's dead, aren't you?! :p [/b]

Yeah he sure is, but it is fun - don't ya think? :p

As it is what ****** me off is that all of you are dismissing something when it is evident from your criticisms that you have a very limited knowledge about it.

[/b]

I have enough knowledge on the subject to know that I find it rubbish - is that not enough?

<div class='quotemain'> Gaw, you're kicking this one 'til it's dead, aren't you?! :p [/b]

Yeah he sure is, but it is fun - don't ya think? :p

As it is what ****** me off is that all of you are dismissing something when it is evident from your criticisms that you have a very limited knowledge about it.

[/b]

I have enough knowledge on the subject to know that I find it rubbish - is that not enough?
[/b][/quote]

Ah that's a bit better... "I find it rubbish". That's much better than "it is rubbish", well done.

however based on what I've seen you don't have any hiphop knowledge... therefore rather than rubbish, surely it is simply not to your liking? :p

and cyril, that's how i roll.

I find it rubbish, it is rubbish - what's the difference? :p Most of TRF find it to be of non-music quality so they must be right in some aspects. But what is stupid to me is any "white" boy trying to be a rap star. It just seems odd, especially when you get people of late-teens to early twenties acting like a rap star, just doesn't do the jersey justice.

Rap is one of the deepest and most diverse genre in music history.
Disagree? Thats fine with me.
Like music in general Rap isn't gender, race or age specific.

Like music in general Rap isn't gender, race or age specific. [/b]

Yes it is, only white 15-year-old boys form suburban areas listen to rap "music"! :bleh!:

1. There are no vocals in any of Mozart's compositions, concertos or symphony's. However the word "composition" will come up again in a moment.
2. 9 times out of 10 the "singing" comes from a sampled loop. The remaining 10% is so **** poor it cannot count as singing. Even Simon Cowell would recognize how awful these "singers" are.
3. "Music" by definition;
# any agreeable (pleasing and harmonious) sounds; "he fell asleep to the music of the wind chimes"
# musical activity (singing or whistling etc.); "his music was his central interest"
# (music) the sounds produced by singers or musical instruments (or reproductions of such sounds)
None of the above can apply to rap "music"
4. A hell of a lot of effort goes into sampling other peoples compositions, looping the most distinctive part of the tracks then over laying it with the words such as "gun", "shoot", "kill", "****a", "hoes" and various other sensational snippets in order to attract negative media attention, thus appealing to rebellious 12-18 year old children. A marketing tactic also used by Rockstar video games.
5. Slipknot were a death metal band and always have been more akin to Fear Factory, having nothing to do with and sounding nothing like Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit. So you are in fact the idiot.
6. Pot. Kettle. Black.
7. Whatever you say is perennially wrong.

Latest posts