• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Rugby 08 Review: After 1 Match

You guys are obsessed with player stats. That's all I seem to see on this forum. Surely the gameplay is more important, especially as all player stats can be edited anyhow ? Sounds like the same is still too easy so your chosen team's stats will probs have to be dumbed down anyhow to get anything of a challenge from it.
[/b]

On the PS2 version you couldn't edit player stats, you could only create a new player. Shockng that it is apparently still like this on 08.

In fairness I want realism as well. For example, I want Flannery to be hooker when I play as Ireland and the Lions (another casualty). But I didn't tend to pick him because he was so bad - which isn't realistic.

At the end of the day I want good players to be recognised as good and bad recognised as bad. The gameplay would be irrelevant to me if they just gave random scores to players.

<div class='quotemain'> Du Preez isnt a star, ive seen from previous posts and the youtube video. He cant be the best, as EA have gona with Gregan and Pichot again as stars, rather than Du Preez and Peel. Unfortunate [/b]

Here is my question to the American boys who could get their hands on this game.Could you see or find any bugs in the game? 06 had a few bugs that wasn't great how is 08 on bugs? :bravo:

Thanks.
[/b][/quote]

So far, the only bug/glitch I've found was on several occassions when I scored a try. I had a ruck just inches from the tryline. I picked up with Kelleher to dive over but was tackled in the process. Kelleher's body and the ball were in the try zone but he had clearly not touched the ball down from where I was sitting. He had been tackled and landed on his back. Perhaps the point of the ball touched down between his ribs and the crook of his elbow. Doubtful. Regardless, I was awarded the try. This has happened on several occassions where I was on my back in the tryzone but awarded the try. On the other hand, there have been a few times when I've charged in with a big forward thinking I was going to score (I literally had to fall forward and I was in), only to be smashed by the defense with a spear tackle. Perhaps this makes up for it. Scoring from a close ruck is inevitable but not guaranteed on the first go around. By the way, there are a lot of spear tackles in this game. And on kickoffs and highballs, if you don't jump for the ball, but instead accidently run into the jumping opponent, you flip him onto his back and it's an instant penalty. A few times I did it on purpose, but others, I was just trying to get there to make the tackle when he landed. I guess you have to time it right.

I've got a few questions for the US lads!

The main concern I have with the game is AI, and I know a few other feels the same so..

What are your thoughts on the 'creative scoring feature'? Apparently the closer to the line you get the harder it is to score.

Is it noticeably harder to score the nearer the line?

Can you elaborate on the 'Advanced' contol for rucks and scrums that it mentions on the back of the box? There was a mention that you have push and rotation control but this is the same as 06 isn't it?

Has the passing bug gone from the old classic view (when you were running towards you or down the hill and passed left the ball would go right and visa versa)

What is the AI like in attack - do they present a stiff challenge with ball in hand?

Are most of their attacks using set moves, like 06, or do they pass down the line?

What is the defence like? Do they line up well or do they leave obvious overlaps and huge gaps as before?

Is the gap between the winger and no. 13 still there? This was a problem in 06

Thanks! :bravo:

I've got a few questions for the US lads!

The main concern I have with the game is AI, and I know a few other feels the same so..

What are your thoughts on the 'creative scoring feature'? Apparently the closer to the line you get the harder it is to score.

Can you elaborate on the 'Advanced' contol for rucks and scrums that it mentions on the back of the box? There was a mention that you have push and rotation control but this is the same as 06 isn't it?

Has the passing bug gone from the old classic view (when you were running towards you or down the hill and passed left the ball would go right and visa versa)

What is the AI like in attack - do they present a stiff challenge with ball in hand?

Are most of their attacks using set moves, like 06, or do they pass down the line?

What is the defence like? Do they line up well or do they leave obvious overlaps and huge gaps as before?

[/b]

I don't think I can answer all your questions at once. I'm at work and away from the game. The gap between the center and wing is there, but it's not always there. I have seen the AI use set plays. I haven't found any passing glitches yet.

There is one play that I get burned on every time. AI's ball at a ruck. Gregan passes short to a forward. Historically, that forward crashes. But at least half a dozen times, that forward has passed to a charging Larkham through the gap that I've left to take on the forward. I've had to choose tight defense just to make it stop. But then the AI started going wide with it. Granted, I'm not the best defender...

I also noticed that in certain custom camera angles, you can zoom in tight for breakdowns and open field play. At the same time, you can also set the camera height. You can actually play a match slightly above eye level. I may be exaggerating, but it's pretty close. Haven't tried it in a whole game, because you can't see the whole field to the left or the right of you. But the concept is cool.

<div class='quotemain'> I've got a few questions for the US lads!

[/b]

I don't think I can answer all your questions at once. I'm at work and away from the game. The gap between the center and wing is there, but it's not always there. I have seen the AI use set plays. I haven't found any passing glitches yet.

There is one play that I get burned on every time. AI's ball at a ruck. Gregan passes short to a forward. Historically, that forward crashes. But at least half a dozen times, that forward has passed to a charging Larkham through the gap that I've left to take on the forward. I've had to choose tight defense just to make it stop. But then the AI started going wide with it. Granted, I'm not the best defender...

I also noticed that in certain custom camera angles, you can zoom in tight for breakdowns and open field play. At the same time, you can also set the camera height. You can actually play a match slightly above eye level. I may be exaggerating, but it's pretty close. Haven't tried it in a whole game, because you can't see the whole field to the left or the right of you. But the concept is cool.

[/b][/quote]

Ive encountered the same thing that you described that burns you. Ive lost to the AI a few times, i lost using llanelli to tolouse in the heineken cup and in world league overall its more challenging, i also found that if you go to game settings you can switch lineout control to "advanced" and offload mode to "simulation" just to add more challenge im going to try these later probably!!

Hey guys, i have a question too..

Does the game end with a knock-on yet, or do you still need to kick it out/score a try for the game to finish?
Thats something that really grinds my gears about 06..

Oh, and when you go for a penalty kick, does the other team still go all the way back under the posts instead of only 10m back?

Cheers and keep up the good work!!

that forward has passed to a charging Larkham through the gap that I've left to take on the forward. I've had to choose tight defense just to make it stop. But then the AI started going wide with it. Granted, I'm not the best defender...

This had me laughing :) Just trying to picture it.

So it appeared the AI would try and exploit your defensive line? How about the tactical kicking vs the kicking defense?

Hey guys, i have a question too..

Does the game end with a knock-on yet, or do you still need to kick it out/score a try for the game to finish?
Thats something that really grinds my gears about 06..

Oh, and when you go for a penalty kick, does the other team still go all the way back under the posts instead of only 10m back?

Cheers and keep up the good work!!

[/b]

Ends with a knock!!

All the way under but they do a better job of counter attacking a miss.

Can an American please back up if the rosters are exactly what they are like on the download, because if it is this game is a waste of money. No nick Evans for the highlanders, stupid. Please can an American please tell us if that roster is true or not.

N.Evans is in the game. that download can be a bit misleading. if you open up the rdf file they are all in there somewhere.

I have finished the first stage of the editor for 08(basic stats/position changes) hopefully by next week ill have the second stage done (teams) and something for people to use before the game comes out.

You guys are obsessed with player stats. That's all I seem to see on this forum. Surely the gameplay is more important, especially as all player stats can be edited anyhow ? Sounds like the same is still too easy so your chosen team's stats will probs have to be dumbed down anyhow to get anything of a challenge from it.
[/b]

Firstly i'm not having a go at you just expressing my dissapointment!

It's the principle, they wouldn't make Ronaldinho a Goal keeper in FIFA or give Henry 45 speed. All were asking is for a bit of effort...... just a little bit. Spies a 5/8 are they serious thats an insult, Lach Turner 47 Speed, even the worst park footy fullback wouldn't be a 47. It's not likes this is Lawn bowls 08. This is Rugby Union one of the biggest sports in the world! Have a go EA, thats all im asking.

Fair call there Ickon!

But theres only two ways EA will change later efforts for a Rugby game:

1. No one buys the game because of the poor effort in development and they get a wake up call.

Or

2. Alot of people buy it and EA can justify the bigger budget and bigger effort.

Allthough a bigger budget certainly wouldn't be necessary to fix the statistical problems your talking about. I mean hell, Woosahs the only one doing the stats justice, with is mods!

But I feel your frustrations. I wonder how many games EARugby06 actually sold?

If it doesn't sell EA will simply not make anything, they have the FIFA and Madden cash cows to tide them over, they don't NEED rugby success...

If it doesn't sell EA will simply not make anything, they have the FIFA and Madden cash cows to tide them over, they don't NEED rugby success... [/b]

they may not NEED rugby success but they sure WANT it.

I cant think the last time a multi-billion $$ corporation ceased to operate, simply because they have made enough.

But the loss from R2004 was made up in R2005 and then in R2006

as nothing has changed since 2006 but roster update and a tweak here and there - its safe to say the developments costs for rugby2008 alone, is half the development costs for 2004 - initial building - and then 2005 - transition into FIFA engine.

IMO Rugby 2008 is the least expensive edition to the franchise - AND WATCH IT MAKE THE MOST REVENUE WITH THE RWC.

EASports will strive to be the number 1 sports gaming publisher on the planet - THEY WOULD BE STUPID TO NEGLECT RUGBY - if they want to achieve this goal.

Rugby is no 2nd rate sport - EA know that

Video gaming Rugby is 2nd rate gaming - because the USA or Japan (biggest game developing nations on the planet) do not play rugby as first choice sports.

EA are on the right track, in the right direction - all we need to is the IRB to deliver the Webb Ellis to George Bush..........and bang, Rugby gaming roars to new limits on the back of a USA RWC win

Otherwise keep on playing the 2nd rate sports ***le - even though it is our favourite, it is 2nd rate from a developing point of view.

<div class='quotemain'> If it doesn't sell EA will simply not make anything, they have the FIFA and Madden cash cows to tide them over, they don't NEED rugby success... [/b]

they may not NEED rugby success but they sure WANT it.

I cant think the last time a multi-billion $$ corporation ceased to operate, simply because they have made enough.

But the loss from R2004 was made up in R2005 and then in R2006

as nothing has changed since 2006 but roster update and a tweak here and there - its safe to say the developments costs for rugby2008 alone, is half the development costs for 2004 - initial building - and then 2005 - transition into FIFA engine.

IMO Rugby 2008 is the least expensive edition to the franchise - AND WATCH IT MAKE THE MOST REVENUE WITH THE RWC.

EASports will strive to be the number 1 sports gaming publisher on the planet - THEY WOULD BE STUPID TO NEGLECT RUGBY - if they want to achieve this goal.

Rugby is no 2nd rate sport - EA know that

Video gaming Rugby is 2nd rate gaming - because the USA or Japan (biggest game developing nations on the planet) do not play rugby as first choice sports.

EA are on the right track, in the right direction - all we need to is the IRB to deliver the Webb Ellis to George Bush..........and bang, Rugby gaming roars to new limits on the back of a USA RWC win

Otherwise keep on playing the 2nd rate sports ***le - even though it is our favourite, it is 2nd rate from a developing point of view.

[/b][/quote] usa aren't going to win the world cup in the next 20 years. ea wouldn't be stupid to ignore rugby because sales wise it has a small upper limit compared to madden etc.

If it doesn't sell EA will simply not make anything, they have the FIFA and Madden cash cows to tide them over, they don't NEED rugby success...

[/quote] usa aren't going to win the world cup in the next 20 years. ea wouldn't be stupid to ignore rugby because sales wise it has a small upper limit compared to madden etc.

thanks mate....where would i be without you :wacko: :p

well rugby may very well be 2nd rate from a dev point of view but EA are still putting resources into it. comeptition from swordfish forced them into action and provided Hb with considerable resources ie the fifa engine. it obviously won't rank up there with the madden's and fifa's of this world but rugby still is a massive sport and enough market for EA to make games for it. I know I have been interested ever since way back in the 2001 days and have bought basically all of them since. it may be second rate but it's rugby and I dam well hope EA keep making them.

Many thanks to the guys who've taken the time to do these reviews for us all.

One question on replays. Can you save them now?! Seems like such a simple thing but it would make my (and I'm sure others) enjoyment of the game so much better.

Latest posts