• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Rugby 08 Review: After 1 Match

<div class='quotemain'> If it doesn't sell EA will simply not make anything, they have the FIFA and Madden cash cows to tide them over, they don't NEED rugby success... [/b]

they may not NEED rugby success but they sure WANT it.

I cant think the last time a multi-billion $$ corporation ceased to operate, simply because they have made enough.

But the loss from R2004 was made up in R2005 and then in R2006

as nothing has changed since 2006 but roster update and a tweak here and there - its safe to say the developments costs for rugby2008 alone, is half the development costs for 2004 - initial building - and then 2005 - transition into FIFA engine.

IMO Rugby 2008 is the least expensive edition to the franchise - AND WATCH IT MAKE THE MOST REVENUE WITH THE RWC.

EASports will strive to be the number 1 sports gaming publisher on the planet - THEY WOULD BE STUPID TO NEGLECT RUGBY - if they want to achieve this goal.

Rugby is no 2nd rate sport - EA know that

Video gaming Rugby is 2nd rate gaming - because the USA or Japan (biggest game developing nations on the planet) do not play rugby as first choice sports.

EA are on the right track, in the right direction - all we need to is the IRB to deliver the Webb Ellis to George Bush..........and bang, Rugby gaming roars to new limits on the back of a USA RWC win

Otherwise keep on playing the 2nd rate sports ***le - even though it is our favourite, it is 2nd rate from a developing point of view.

[/b][/quote]

Rugby 08 really and truly is much different from previous versions. The players still look the same and the rosters are f'd, but the overall feel and look to the game is fresh. The new camera angles really make a difference.

Nick Evans is in the game, but he's only rated in the low 70s, which in my opinion, isn't a fair assessment. If there were no Carter, everyone would be talking about Evans. Okay, that's a little bold of me to say, but he's still very good, I think.

I understand how it probably irks everyone that the rosters aren't accurate. Those things are important to true followers of the game. It's disheartening if your favorite team or rival opponent isn't properly represented. It takes away from the experience.

Anyway, it won't be long now before I'm the one looking for tips from the rest of you all. Have a good one!

I'm i the only one that see aussie has 6 star players!!!!!!!!!! WTF they are like 3rd in the world!!! Gregan isn't really a star player but his pass is good... and Tiquiri who didn't score a try in like 15 matches.... rubbish :mad: muliaina should be a star and what about front rowers?

I'm i the only one that see aussie has 6 star players!!!!!!!!!! WTF they are like 3rd in the world!!! Gregan isn't really a star player but his pass is good... and Tiquiri who didn't score a try in like 15 matches.... rubbish :mad: muliaina should be a star and what about front rowers? [/b]
no your not the only one theres other posts exactly same. but really the only player that doesn't desevre his star is tiquiri and mortlock should have got one so they would have six anyway. i was hoping hayman would be a star.

interesting read that ozzy mainly on some design decision they took next year and finally some comments about next-gen rugby!. it would seem a next-gen rugby game with online play is possibly where the series is headed. now I just have to wait for 08 to come out in in aus so that I can play it :D

Yeah unfortunately he gave the impression that the next gen version isn't in play yet, I guess we can expect it sometime '08, but it's good to hear that they seem to want online in as that solves the AI issues ;)

Sounds like they've done enough for me to get the '07 version. Madden or PES can't really replace rugby for me, and by the sounds of it '07 will be a little more challenging (faster pace, slightly better AI?). I guess we'll see.

Are there any locks, props or hooker superstars in 08 I hope EA have done so cause they deserve it.

As far as I know there are none, the stars seem to only go as far as the loosies. I think even the locks have missed out. It's a bit of a crime really, because most rugby games are won and lost up front and it sort of says the fellows doing EA stats are not all that familiar with rugby and are only impressed by the flashy stuff and don't understand the tough grind required to setup the platform for said flashy moves to be successful.

More impressions:

I started a Super 14 season with the Highlanders:

Pros
-CPU gets called for a fair amount of penalties, including offsides and dangerous tackles. In 06, it seemed they would never go offside. I have even seen one red card so far against the Lions after a scuffle!)
-Great Camera options, including tuning of each of the default cameras
-Weather and wind variable in each game (I've seen winds in excess of 50kph, rain, muddy field, muddy jerseys, cold)
-AI will make mostly smart decisions - kick to touch deep inside its territory, drop goals when I am play great defense and score is close, call the right plays to counteract my defense)
-Teams seem to play different styles and get harder as you go deeper in the season (I beat up most of the early schedule - Lions, Force, Stormers, but as the season went on, the Bulls , Blues and Reds started to give me trouble)
-Good player graphics for PS2 (including facial expressions)
-Easy to read overlays, nicely displayed team logos(06 font was too small, the flags in the score overlay really bugged me)
-Great flow to game, game not always stopped by offsides. I like how they stopped most of the stupid offside penalties , players will mostly get back on their own, but I have still a fair amt of calls against me)
-World cup and Super 14 schedules can be set to random
-World cup challenge mode is a fun way to play a quick game and unlock stuff

Cons
-Not enough varied overlays (none for territory, no season stats, for example)
-Tough to kick drop goals (i have since been better with this, by not holding down the button for as long, I only tap it now)
-Easy to tap L1 button to pass too many times resulting in a turnover
-Not enough injuries (can be fixed by increasing the injury slider- I have it now 3 clicks from the left and have seen a few players knocked out of games)
-Injuries don't seem to last for multiple weeks
-No "franchise" or multiple season mode (has been problem in past rugby games)
-No variable weather (rain stopping and starting, etc)
-World Cup challenge mode makes you do the same goals over and over to achieve an unlockable.If you don't complete all the goals in one game, you have to repeat ALL of them to try again.

Thats all I can think of for now, as I'm at work, and not playing. I'll probably add to this later.

Can somebody out there please make a video and post it on here so we from down under can see what we're in for this coming Thursday. I also have a couple questions about the game when you get a quick tap do the opposing team let you go 10 or do they tackle you straight away once you've tapd the ball.

Also is the scrum half faster at getting the ball outta the rucks or do I still have to press it 6-8 times before he passes it.

Hey thanks for your good work guys!
Could you please post the S14 team ratings?
[/b]
If the Force have a less score then the Reds and the Waratahs are the highest rated Aussie team I am going to smash ****...

Can somebody out there please make a video and post it on here so we from down under can see what we're in for this coming Thursday. I also have a couple questions about the game when you get a quick tap do the opposing team let you go 10 or do they tackle you straight away once you've tapd the ball.

Also is the scrum half faster at getting the ball outta the rucks or do I still have to press it 6-8 times before he passes it.

[/b]

Off of quick tap penalties, you don't get tackled immediately, but you are charged by rabid defenders. If you run an angle, you should get several meters. At rucks, I was surprised how quickly the scrumhalf recycles the ball. I've had my no. 9 get there just as the ruck was set and pass it out immediately. Other times, I've cringed as player after player entered the ruck but there was scrumhalf in sight. I thought the ref was going to blow the whistle. Finally, he showed up and got the ball out. But by then, he defence had reset. It depends on the situation and the scrumhalf, I suppose. And contrary to what others have said, I've been able to pickup out of rucks and actually break the line and start an attack. It doesn't work all the time, it just depends on who's picking up (not always a scrumhalf) and if the defense had the fringes covered.

Hey thanks for your good work guys!
Could you please post the S14 team ratings? [/b]

Crusaders 84, Blues 82, Chiefs 72, Highlanders 70, Hurricanes 69

Brumbies 77, Western Force 70, Waratahs 65, Reds 61

Sharks 79, Bulls 71, Lions 69, Cheetahs 68, Stormers 66

<div class='quotemain'> Hey thanks for your good work guys!
Could you please post the S14 team ratings? [/b]

Crusaders 84, Blues 82, Chiefs 72, Highlanders 70, Hurricanes 69

Brumbies 77, Western Force 70, Waratahs 65, Reds 61

Sharks 79, Bulls 71, Lions 69, Cheetahs 68, Stormers 66
[/b][/quote]
That sounds fairly accurate....

seems very harsh on the bulls. perhaps too on the sharks.
i guess all this stuf gets nailed down ages ago tho.

I guess I might actually lose with the 'tahs now. Doesn't feel right that they're rated so poorly but I guess it'd be unfair to rate them on what they should be and not what they've been.

I guess I might actually lose with the 'tahs now. Doesn't feel right that they're rated so poorly but I guess it'd be unfair to rate them on what they should be and not what they've been.
[/b]

What they could be?

Until they develop a solid flyhalf, get some decent inside backs and build some athleticism into their forward pack they will remain rubbish.

You're saying that the same team as '05 and '06, except without Rogers, Whitaker and Sailor (who was out of action for much of '06 anyway) is a rubbish team? The only real problem is settling on a 9, 10 and 12. SNK may not be international level but he can do well enough in super rugby.

Latest posts