• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Rugby 08 Review: After 1 Match

Here's what I found regarding running the angles, gaps and spinning it out wide: It's not always there. You actually have to work at it and run multiple quick phase ball to get the defense disorganized. If the ball is slowed down at the breakdown, it gives the defense the opportunity to recover.

But if you run crash balls with the forwards off of rucks or make a nice break with the backline and recycle quickly, you can spin it out and find a gap or exploit a 2 on 1 situation out wide. I found that to be very exciting. Also, the build up leading up to spinning it to the backs after multiple phases is also exciting because you know the opposition defense is on the ropes (it plays very much like real rugby in that respect).

Also, the creators have brought back the good old up and under high ball. It's easier to recover possession in this version. No one stands around watching the ball. Someone on your side (a center or flanker) is always charging. I was penalized for kicking a high ball and smashing the opposition player before he got the ball.

Another thing I noticed is opposition clearance kicks. It happens very fast. Whenever you lose possesion inside the opposition 22, the defense is quick to look to clear the ball. The kicker lines up very deep so it is impossible to charge it down. On the other hand, if the opposition is down a few tries, they'll try to run it rather than kick. I guess that says something about the AI's decision making.

I haven't checked out the stadiums or tournament modes or rosters yet, but I'll be looking to answer some questions for some of you out there.

Um as far as clearing the ball inside the 22 and switching to running plays when its losing and the game is almost over, isn't this identical to 06, not to mention the fact it wasn't all that easy to charge down a kick in 06 as well.
Nice to see that a few more rules have been enforced such as tackling a player before they get the ball, you can destroy backline moves in 06 by smashing the forward before they receive the ball. Gets extremely cheesy.
Keep the answers coming they are much appreciated, but I think there are a bunch of questions related to rosters and stadiums so if you've got the time some info on them would be great.
Also just out of interest what kind of scores did you rack up in 06 Mala when compared to 08. Might give us an indication of whether the AI is any better or whether its just getting used to the camera angles that is making it seem that way.

And I know it might be tortuous but you couldnt list the star players, could you?

And why are Latham, Smith and Tuquiri stars when Mortlock is not? Latham can't even start at the moment.

Same reason Lewsey and Wilkinson are star players; HB using out of date statistics.

God knows what Ronan "buckle under pressure" O'Poofta has a star for though. <_<

And I know it might be tortuous but you couldnt list the star players, could you?

And why are Latham, Smith and Tuquiri stars when Mortlock is not? Latham can't even start at the moment. [/b]

Latham isn't being discarded, he has been injured since the start of the Super 14. he is picked on the Bench for Aus vs NZ even though hes not fit

ill check in a bit i know saints are on this game for sure but i have to check later because my brother is playing resistance fall of man on the ps3 right now.. [/b]

So does this mean I can play Rugby 08 on my PS3?

Um as far as clearing the ball inside the 22 and switching to running plays when its losing and the game is almost over, isn't this identical to 06, not to mention the fact it wasn't all that easy to charge down a kick in 06 as well.
Nice to see that a few more rules have been enforced such as tackling a player before they get the ball, you can destroy backline moves in 06 by smashing the forward before they receive the ball. Gets extremely cheesy.
Keep the answers coming they are much appreciated, but I think there are a bunch of questions related to rosters and stadiums so if you've got the time some info on them would be great.
Also just out of interest what kind of scores did you rack up in 06 Mala when compared to 08. Might give us an indication of whether the AI is any better or whether its just getting used to the camera angles that is making it seem that way. [/b]

To be honest, I've only played three games of 08 and now I'm at work so it'll be several hours until I get to play again. I only played pro level last night with the All Blacks so it's difficult to say how hard or easy the game truly is. Defensively, the AI was no pushover. In a 5 min/half match, I defeated Australia 28-7. But again, it wasn't on Elite.

I'd say that I'll probably score more tries in 08, but not because of the AI's ability. That's yet to be determined by me because I haven't played enough or on Elite level. But, the tries I did score all seemed to be unique and hardly repetitive. At least for me. I say this because the players you control seem to feel more 'loose.' As if you can control them better and make them do what you want them to do, such as jink or slash.

Because the camera zooms in and out of the breakdown (I believe this is a function that is constant on all views even the Hover/Overhead cam), there's a different look and feel to the game at all times. As opposed to choosing the Classic 2 view in previous versions where you see everything at the same size all the time. I think it makes the game more challenging and a little unpredictable.

If someone doesn't get to it first, I'll post info on rosters and stadiums in a few hours.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I'd say that I'll probably score more tries in 08, but not because of the AI's ability.

Does the AI seem to benefit from this as well? Ie the game is harder know defensively thanks to the faster pace and better control?

Does the AI actually get the ball into touch this time? Keeping it in play in'05 and '06 made it pretty easy to dominate field position unless we were up against carter.

Does the AI boot away possession at silly times (ie the constant kicks from about halfway to our back 3 who are ready for the kick)?

I guess it's all about the AI for me.

i don't think peel has ever been good enough to be a star. kelleher, weepu both are better and niether are stars. [/b]

Joke? :huh:

P.S. Hope you enjoy the game. I haven't got any questions, I'll find this stuff out when I get the game. Lucky Americans :angry:

the AI on attack is better, ive had guys throw some sweet dummies to score tries against me and when they get the 2 or 3 on 1 with the fullback they usually split it with ease

Was the PC version also released in the States today? How accurate are the rosters? Any chance of getting a screenshot of the Samoan rosters. Cheers for the reviews guys and thanks for any answers. [/b]

Nope the pacific island squads get screwed

for example i know for a fact on samoa its b. liama (for lima)

nicky large on fiji

r. buabuanibuca

r. buabuanibuca
[/b]

aaaaaah, now it makes sense.

i was drunk playing the game last night and thought it was my vision.
if it looks like a caucau, and runs like a caucau, it must be a baubau.

r. buabuanibuca
[/b]

There is a word harder to pronounce than Caucaunibuca!

And Nicky Large. Pure genius. I couldn't have thought of that in ten years. <_<

Are the Pacific Islanders official during the world cup (like EA boasted) - like on Brian Lara/Ricky Ponting cricket?

Has anyone mentioned anything about Team Chemistry? There's an element in the game that rates a team's chemistry. But moreso than that, it rates chemistry among positioned players. For example, in making selections, if you match the wrong prop with the wrong hooker, your front row will be crap. The same is said for the 9 and 10 pairing and the centers combination, etc. Sorry I don't have more info on this. I just remembered it from when I played last night. Maybe someone else who's played it can elaborate. Anyway, I thought some of you might find it intriguing about the game.

Has anyone mentioned anything about Team Chemistry? There's an element in the game that rates a team's chemistry. But moreso than that, it rates chemistry among positioned players. For example, in making selections, if you match the wrong prop with the wrong hooker, your front row will be crap. The same is said for the 9 and 10 pairing and the centers combination, etc. Sorry I don't have more info on this. I just remembered it from when I played last night. Maybe someone else who's played it can elaborate. Anyway, I thought some of you might find it intriguing about the game. [/b]

Yea spot on with that description ive never quite been able to get it up to 100% though the closest i got was 90% with wales

but it effects

pairings

This is all pretty encouraging to be honest!

Lads can ye just confirm that Ireland just have the two stars in BOD and ROG?

Definitely none for paul o connell ya?

If you could also tell us what the top 9 teams rating figures are (i.e. 6 nations + tri nations) that would be cool.

Oh and MUNSTER! What is their team rating and what is Leinster? Im guessing the heineken cup win has done em some good!

Also in some of the youtube vids it looks like theyve fixed the prob of really slow animations on kicks in open play that means you get tackled or knock on unless you kick ridiculously far in advance.

Can you confirm is the open play kicking a bit more fluid and faster than 06?

cheers

Has anyone mentioned anything about Team Chemistry? There's an element in the game that rates a team's chemistry. But moreso than that, it rates chemistry among positioned players. For example, in making selections, if you match the wrong prop with the wrong hooker, your front row will be crap. The same is said for the 9 and 10 pairing and the centers combination, etc. Sorry I don't have more info on this. I just remembered it from when I played last night. Maybe someone else who's played it can elaborate. Anyway, I thought some of you might find it intriguing about the game.
[/b]
Like in FIFA, if they went with chemistry and not stupid instant knock on when playing out of position I will be stoked....

This is all pretty encouraging to be honest!

If you could also tell us what the top 9 teams rating figures are (i.e. 6 nations + tri nations) that would be cool.

Oh and MUNSTER! What is their team rating and what is Leinster? Im guessing the heineken cup win has done em some good!

Also in some of the youtube vids it looks like theyve fixed the prob of really slow animations on kicks in open play that means you get tackled or knock on unless you kick ridiculously far in advance.

cheers [/b]

I've found that you can pull the trigger pretty quickly when kicking without getting nailed in a tackle and resulting in a knockon. There is a downside to the kicking game. Carter can still kick a ton upfield which is hardly realistic. The ball physics of it bouncing out of bounds has improved. It's more realistic. Also, kicking is much easier in side mode this time around. I believe that once you decide to kick whether it's upfield or for touch, the camera zooms out to show more of the field. On the other hand the same is said when the opposition kicks. Even before the kick is made, the camera zooms out. It's less a hint that a kick is coming and more of a hindrance in that it's somewhat disorientating to have the camera zoom out with no ball in the air.

So far, I haven't encountered any slow animations.

Oh and for you England lovers/haters out there, the opening video ends with Jason Robinson's 2003 World Cup try.

<div class='quotemain'> This is all pretty encouraging to be honest!

cheers [/b]

I've found that you can pull the trigger pretty quickly when kicking without getting nailed in a tackle and resulting in a knockon. There is a downside to the kicking game. Carter can still kick a ton upfield which is hardly realistic. The ball physics of it bouncing out of bounds has improved. It's more realistic. Also, kicking is much easier in side mode this time around. I believe that once you decide to kick whether it's upfield or for touch, the camera zooms out to show more of the field. On the other hand the same is said when the opposition kicks. Even before the kick is made, the camera zooms out. It's less a hint that a kick is coming and more of a hindrance in that it's somewhat disorientating to have the camera zoom out with no ball in the air.

So far, I haven't encountered any slow animations.

Oh and for you England lovers/haters out there, the opening video ends with Jason Robinson's 2003 World Cup try.
[/b][/quote]

Cool thanks for that, if you get a chance to check the ireland stars and munster and leinster ratings let me know, cheers.

Latest posts