• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

National Anthems

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 10 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hate the English anthem. I mean come on. God save the queen? Do you think anyone that sings it actually wants him to protect the queen? No offense to the British, but an anthem singing about a gracious woman that doesn't do much anyway? Can any of the English shed some light? I think Land of Hope and Glory is way better![/b]

I hate our anthem. Should be this

Or this

As for other anthems, the French and Welsh ones are so much better than any others.

Flower of Scotland is awful. The Irish one's alright but Ireland's a confused country so I can never work out which is which.

I honestly can't say the NZ anthem has stuck in my brain; it gets so overshadowed by the Haka that kiwis don't really need an anthem.

Australia's is ****.

and I like the concept of the South African one, but not the tune...

Star Spangled Banner sucks dick.

Yeah Haka alone can solve all the problems but anthem is anthem :)

Liberty

My icon is my motherland,
And icon-stand is whole world.
Bright mounts and valleys
Are shared with God

Today our freedom
Sings to the glory of future,
The dawn star rises up
And shines out between two seas.

Praise be to the liberty,
Praise be to the liberty!

An update about the Belgian songs:

The Ostkantons ( German speaking part) belong to the Frenchspeaking part of Belgium, their legislation and services etc... is all in German but because they belong to Wallonia they aren't allowed to have a own anthem.

Off course they don't mind and they have some German songs but there's not really a common song for the entire region.
Every city, village has it own cultural heritage.

So sadly I have to say that I don't know the anwser.

But at least you learnt some things about Belgium :D

Oh unfortunately not much I know about Belgium. But the languages are numerous there and Belgium has long been under Gr=erman dominance so as you say it left some influence

As Fleming and German Speakers, Waloons and French Speakers come together in Belgium

Otherwise Belgium is great country, developed society and amazing cities, culture and etc.

Belgium.jpg

Liberty

Are shared with God

Today our freedom
The dawn star rises up

Yeah the great market in BXL is just beautifull, on a 5 minute metro-ride from my work.
If someone ever wants to visit BXL, if you stand in front of the cityhall, take the street on the left site in front of you, you'll get into the rue de pita, the kebabstreet ( also other restaurants) very cheap and nice food.

Wow I like cheap and nice food

They're always not snoby and also because I dont like to overcharge in foods :p :p

lachapelle_BIGBURGER.jpg

And I also like how the rugby players sing the national anthems with passion, Georgians mostly of course

610x.jpg

It's nice to hear that the South African anthem is admired by so many people. Here's the anthem with translation in brackets.

-----

(Xhosa and Zulu)
Nkosi sikelel' iAfrika ("Lord bless Africa")
Maluphakanyisw' uphondo lwayo ("May her spirit rise high up ")
Yizwa imithandazo yethu. ("Hear thou our prayers ")
Nkosi sikelela Thina lusapho lwayo. ("Lord bless us, Your people.")

(Sotho)
Morena boloka setjhaba sa heso, ("Lord save our nation")
O fedise dintwa la matshwenyeho, ("Intervene and end all conflicts ")
O se boloke, O se boloke setjhaba sa heso, ("Protect us. Protect Your nation. ")
Setjhaba sa South Afrika - South Afrika. ("Protect South Africa")

(Afrikaans)
Uit die blou van onse hemel, ("Ringing out from our blue heavens")
Uit die diepte van ons see, ("from our deep seas breaking round")
Oor ons ewige gebergtes ("Over everlasting mountains")
waar die kranse antwoord gee. ("where the echoing crags resound")

Sounds the call to come together,
and united we shall stand,
Let us live and strive for freedom
in South Africa, our land.

-----

I personally like the Afrikaans and English parts because they have a better tune than the rest, the Xhosa and Zulu part always seems too high pitched to me.

EDIT: I got the translations off a website but is it me or is the Afrikaans part hopelessly wrongly translated, Jer1cho or any other Saffa?

FURTHER EDIT: Or at least this part
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Uit die blou van onse hemel, ("Ringing out from our blue heavens")
Uit die diepte van ons see, ("from our deep seas breaking round")[/b]

I'm sorry but the South African anthem always sounds like a load of robots (or people speaking through Kraftwerk Datacoders) are singing. Dull, plodding and sounds like a really really awkward compromise.

I feel like a broken record for saying this but God Save the Queen is neither the national anthem for the English or the British. There is no national anthem for any of the nations of the UK or the UK itself, the anthems you hear are only played by convention and there is no law on any statue book nor any regulation that says, explicitly, that you must play such and such an anthem.

Thats why Jerusalem is played by the ECB for England Cricket Games and Land of Hope and Glory is played when England wins a medal in the Commonwealth Games.

As for the anthem itself, for something cobbled together in a rush during the Jacobite invasion of the 18th century, what exactly do you expect.

And on that rather snide note about the Queen, heh, considering what Thabo Mbeki (or rather what he hasn't really done at all) during his glorious reign as President of South Africa, I think some people shouldn't throw stones when living in glass houses...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 10 2008, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm sorry but the South African anthem always sound like a load of robots (or people speaking through Kraftwerk Datacoders) are singing. Dull, plodding and sounds like a really really awkward compromise.[/b]
Yep, I agree with this. It's sounded terrible throughout the Tri Nations imo... Maybe if they just let the crowd sing it it'd sound better - a little plain, granted, but it couldn't sound much worse than it does now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 10 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And on that rather snide note about the Queen, heh, considering what Thabo Mbeki (or rather what he hasn't really done at all) during his glorious reign as President of South Africa, I think some people shouldn't throw stones when living in glass houses...[/b]

Uhmm, WTF? What does Mbeki have to do with the queen? Are you trying to say he somehow has less/as much influence on the running of a country he governs than the queen? Rubbish. What does it matter anywho, they're both shitty. I thought you're bigger than this kind of ***-for-tat nonsense, eventhough you're hopelessly off course with that comment.

I didnt know if Queen was so "additional" to your anthem

You know psychologists say that Queen became the face of history and of humor for GBs

I see that in your posts. Ofcourse I do not mean the hymns Prestwick posted that are played in India cricket matches (if I remeber correctly)

Cheers

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 10 2008, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I hate the English anthem. I mean come on. God save the queen? Do you think anyone that sings it actually wants him to protect the queen? No offense to the British, but an anthem singing about a gracious woman that doesn't do much anyway? Can any of the English shed some light? I think Land of Hope and Glory is way better![/b]

No I can't explain it either, it's f***ing horrible - never been able to sing it or be moved by it, EVER. Jerusalem I can't do either due to the excessive religious overtones, Land of Hope and Glory gets my vote by a mile (though 'I vow to thee my country' would be acceptable).

If I knew how to go about changing it I would!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 10 2008, 11:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 10 2008, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And on that rather snide note about the Queen, heh, considering what Thabo Mbeki (or rather what he hasn't really done at all) during his glorious reign as President of South Africa, I think some people shouldn't throw stones when living in glass houses...[/b]

Uhmm, WTF? What does Mbeki have to do with the queen? Are you trying to say he somehow has less/as much influence on the running of a country he governs than the queen? Rubbish. What does it matter anywho, they're both shitty. I thought you're bigger than this kind of ***-for-tat nonsense, eventhough you're hopelessly off course with that comment.
[/b][/quote]

Erm, BBQ, He's a head of state. The Queen is a head of state. Oh! Wow! We've got a connection!

I'm saying that despite having the influence and power that his position grants him, he's done bugger all about Zimbabwe, bugger all about AIDs as well as a fair few other things. The Queen's a figurehead, I know that and I'm not suggesting or trying to say anything to those facts, I just found it very rich that someone said she does nothing all day when their own head of state fiddles while Zimbabwe burns. I'm not saying she's amazing or better than Mbeki, lets get that out of the way right now.

Thats my point and you're hopelessly off course with that reply. Lets just drop it right now and go back to national anthems.

If you want to get on with the topic why do raise all these other points? Really dude WTF

If you wanna blame somebody for doing nothing about the AIDS epidemic blame Nelson Mandela. He did ZERO. At least Mbeki setup a 5 year plan a year after he was elected and also setup a free anti-retrovirals system. Basically started anything to do with AIDs from scratch.
On Zimbabwe. With Mbeki's help the MDC now has a majority seating in parlament. So there is progress, although I agree it's not enough.
He might of done a whole bunch of things wrong but has done some great things for the country as well. Welcome to being human.
So just wanna let you know you're wrong, and I think I know what's going on around here more than you so keep some opinions to yourself. Thanks in advance.

Back on topic, the French anthem is my favourite foreign anthem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BLR @ Sep 11 2008, 07:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Sep 10 2008, 05:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yeh uts prutty ununspirung ayy bro :p :lol:[/b]
Bit rich coming from a Aussie who supports the Chiefs. ;)
[/b][/quote]

Ez bruv, nothing wrong with an Aussie supporting thenm Chiefs ;)
The national Anthem of Oz isn't that bad, always create a kind of summervibe when I hear it, due to our amazing Belgian weather :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 11 2008, 12:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If you want to get on with the topic why do raise all these other points? Really dude WTF

If you wanna blame somebody for doing nothing about the AIDS epidemic blame Nelson Mandela. He did ZERO. At least Mbeki setup a 5 year plan a year after he was elected and also setup a free anti-retrovirals system. Basically started anything to do with AIDs from scratch.

On Zimbabwe. With Mbeki's help the MDC now has a majority seating in parlament. So there is progress, although I agree it's not enough.
He might of done a whole bunch of things wrong but has done some great things for the country as well. Welcome to being human.
So just wanna let you know you're wrong, and I think I know what's going on around here more than you so keep some opinions to yourself. Thanks in advance.

Back on topic, the French anthem is my favourite foreign anthem.[/b]

Oh for goodness sake! Will you listen to yourself?! When was there a law forbiding critique of other Heads of State? Wasn't it you who raised all this ire in the first place AFTER I said "those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones?" Or did you just want to get the last word in and then say that you moved the topic along. Seriously, sort it out, just stop it with the hysterical outrage and anger and thinking that somehow its okay for you to defend your head of state but not okay for me stick up for mine (however flawed she may be). Seriously, just stop it.

I'm taking this elsewhere but you need to get off your high horse and maybe be a little less outraged that someone might think that your President hasn't done a very good job in his two terms. In the end I said that those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones and I still stand by that. Stop being so hysterical, thanks in advance.

Moving back on topic here, I think the Soviet National Anthem is pretty awesome.

agree with preswick cant beat the russians on this one theres an english version somewhere on youtube :wacko:

Anyway like or dislike ones national anthem respect is unavoidable

I hate when people whistle on others' anthems, does it give something valuable?

Liberty

Are shared with God

Today our freedom
The dawn star rises up

Latest posts