• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Lomu?...

Give them Aussies a break, they're too busy producing cricketers. No but impressive highlights, at the international level is where it counts though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sportfreunde @ May 18 2009, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Give them Aussies a break, they're too busy producing cricketers. No but impressive highlights, at the international level is where it counts though.[/b]
What are you talking about you retard?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ May 17 2009, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
but my point still stands, Lomu was only great because there was no one to counter him, wingers at that point were still the smallest and nimblest players[/b]

James small certainly never backed down to Lomu, probably one of the few players crazy enough to properly take him on back then.

Lomu is still king though, I do hope I see the day we get another player as impressive as he was on the wing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ May 18 2009, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sportfreunde @ May 18 2009, 04:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Give them Aussies a break, they're too busy producing cricketers. No but impressive highlights, at the international level is where it counts though.[/b]
What are you talking about you retard?
[/b][/quote]

Lol pretty harsh against a newbie.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Remember him scoring the most amount of tries in world cup history?[/b]

Still doesn't win you the World cup does it?, I also remember Lomu palming off little George Gregan only to get pulled down by Gregan's judo throw.

I have to say I agree with Woldog here.

Though there is no doubting Lomu's ability, if he were to be the same as he was around 95' now, he probably wouldn't be as effective. The game has moved on so much physically and tactically, now the players are built like tanks. Lomu emerged during the rise of the professional era, and we are now deep in the professional era.

You just have to look at who Lomu was facing when he scored four tries against England: The Underwood Brothers and Mike Catt, who are hardly the biggest men in the world. Jonah was huge and all it took was him to run into the player to send them flying.

Nowadays he would be challenged much more by bigger opposition wingers who aren't scared plus well drilled and better defences. I went to see Lomu play when he was at Cardiff Blues for a short time, and although he was obviously not at his best, the defences were so quick to close him down and not allow him any space and he became pretty ineffective (and this was against Calvisano). When he did score it was a simple run in that any other winger could have done.

Lomu will always be a legend of Rugby Union. However the comparison will never work if we try and compare him to todays rugby standard. Sadly, I think we should just appreciate him for what he was and acknowledge that noone in his position will probably ever be as devastating as he was.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ May 19 2009, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I doooooooo believe that David Campese was more devastating than Lomu.[/b]

you must be joking. as devastating as lomu. ha ha. campese was on par with john kirwan. lomu was greatness. not only did he run over other wingers but take a look at that you tube clip joe vs jonah. he runs over a few springbok fowards as well. in a row. that man had so much power he could have been a half god. no one can compare to lomu. and to that fool talking up digby trying to compare him to lomu.... wake up butter cup.

Lomu didn't score as many tries as David Campese. Running over forwards doesn't make you devastating it just makes you big.

More skillful and perhaps 'rugby' smarter than Lomu but not devasting. Lomu didn't score as many tries but didn't play as much as Campese as well :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ May 18 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Remember him scoring the most amount of tries in world cup history?[/b]

Still doesn't win you the World cup does it?, I also remember Lomu palming off little George Gregan only to get pulled down by Gregan's judo throw.
[/b][/quote]
I also remember Lomu beating Gregan to score the winning try in the 2000 Tri nations match...Lomu vs Campese...no contest. Lomu was a far more devistating force. David Campese was a good runner no doubt, and often scored good tries. But as Gregan has stated, even with amazing runners such as Christian Cullen, who scored more tries then Lomu, Lomu was still considered the danger man. In pure power Lomu wins verse any winger of any time and I'm sure he would still be considered amazing today, despite the oposition's increased technique and physique.

...Umm when Lomu played for Cardiff, he had a fricken Kidney transplant...and was 30 years old...he wasn't a shadow of his formor self.

Yeah that's not really what I was getting at with the whole Gregan thing.... I was kind of saying that it was a feat for someone that small to pull down someone so big. Gregan was a halfback not a winger.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ May 19 2009, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
...Umm when Lomu played for Cardiff, he had a fricken Kidney transplant...and was 30 years old...he wasn't a shadow of his formor self.[/b]

Thats why I said 'he obviously wasn't at his best'.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ May 19 2009, 10:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah that's not really what I was getting at with the whole Gregan thing.... I was kind of saying that it was a feat for someone that small to pull down someone so big. Gregan was a halfback not a winger.[/b]
I know he wasn't a winger, i was refering he was more devistating then anyother winger in the world as I would have rated a few forwards as perhaps more powerful eg Isitola Maka.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ May 17 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't know about a new Lomu but if you're after another player who can be just as damaging as he was look no further than Jamal Idris. The rugby league player is 18 years old and is one of the stand out centres in the NRL. He absolutely dominated the Dragons on Friday night who are currently leading the competition. He's still at school.

NRL%20Rd%2026%20Raiders%20v%20Bulldogs%20Lgin8XcWhOGl.jpg
[/b]

lol i played him in a trial last year, he was a monster i mean his leg drive was ridiculous. I remember flying in at his leg and, while it was a solid clean tackle i remember feeling my shoulder almost come apart in contact, the guy is solid! Nalaga is pretty good, but i think the one person who could match it up with lomu, fijian Rupeni Caucaunibuca, imo the greatest winger in history, although him playing for NZ would of cemented my opinion, i hear he has fallen off motivation of late but still devastating no doubt. Like others said, Nalaga's sudden burst mixed with his fend makes him very dangerous, a very interesting player to watch. Fiji are lucky in that they field their best players for their country team, the players want to play for fiji and that is great, unfortunately, samoa doesnt get that kind of luxury lol

rugby_bg.jpg

New Lomu? What about Old Lomu? Here he is from a picture on the Tsunami Sport Website.
I'm not sure who this is he's playing for, but I'm assuming it's fairly recent as Tsunami is really now starting to burst on the scene.

Latest posts