• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealands sporting prowess

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 25 2009, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dont understand this thread. Granted I've only barely read it, but qualifying for the world cup by coming out of a group that contains New Caledonia, Figi and Vanuatu (while they actually managed to lose one of those games :) ). Then beating Bahrain 1:0 over two legs. I'm going to get shot down for saying this and I sincerely am happy to see teams like New Zealand get to the WC, but is the above really something to shout about?[/b]

The game they lost was apparently after the group was decided ;) Don't get the soccer "fiendly" thing to be honest, surely you should go out to win every game.

Considering this is just our second World Cup Finals appearance, then yeah regardless of how we got there good result for New Zealand :) Expecting to get man shamed of course but someone has to make up the numbers.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 26 2009, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 26 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont understand this thread. Granted I've only barely read it, but qualifying for the world cup by coming out of a group that contains New Caledonia, Figi and Vanuatu (while they actually managed to lose one of those games :) ). Then beating Bahrain 1:0 over two legs. I'm going to get shot down for saying this and I sincerely am happy to see teams like New Zealand get to the WC, but is the above really something to shout about?

New Zealand are, and always will be THE team in rugby union. That alone is a massive achievement for a nation of that size, but I cant think of anything outside of that really worth talking about. Granted I dont know anything about Netball and Softball but they dont really compete in Cricket and I'm struggling to think of big stars in other sports from New Zealand.[/b]

Making it to the world cup is something to shout about.. im sure your countrymen would be if you were going :p

And what do you mean "don't really compete" at cricket? Granted we arent the best, but not competing?

We came 3rd at the last world cup. Daniel Vettori is currently ranked as the best bowler in the world. Richard Hadlee the second best of all time. The batters looked alright too when the openers got 160 each against Ireland last year...

What other sports are there really?
[/b][/quote]

Don't really get the first comment. I think he was referring to the fact that our qualification path wasn't something to shout about. Going to the world cup no doubt is, but our path was easier and we should be grateful for that, not rubbing other countries shockingly hard path losses. Especially when they were robbed.

Sure, statistically New Zealand do well in a variety of sports for a place which is 123rd in the population stakes out of 223 countries. Population is an indicator as it influences the opportunity for the number of genetically or psychologically (also motivationally) gifted atheletes to come through. It also influences economy, which is a huge factor as well. It is the seed from which achievment grows.

So what though? Self praise is no praise. I'd rather have people from another country saying something good about us, than hearing us heaping praise on ourselves. We could otherwise end up winning the country with the biggest ego for it's population.

I know the odds are slim on the forum of New Zealand being praised by someone from another country, there does seem to be a "all blacks cheat or rob us" pie being baked, with "but we love you really" icing on top, but myself I'm not keen on the rubbing in of other countries difficulties. In my own opinion only, it makes us look a bit full of ourselves.

NZ hold their own in triathlon (think they got a bronze in this years world champs, and a silver in last)
There's also a couple of DH mountain bikers out there as well, competing at a decent level (brook macdonald won at the world champs, at junior level)

I can sum this all up!! Its the media they hype everything up thats how they get there ratings and people watch/reading!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 26 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Nov 26 2009, 02:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 26 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I dont understand this thread. Granted I've only barely read it, but qualifying for the world cup by coming out of a group that contains New Caledonia, Figi and Vanuatu (while they actually managed to lose one of those games :) ). Then beating Bahrain 1:0 over two legs. I'm going to get shot down for saying this and I sincerely am happy to see teams like New Zealand get to the WC, but is the above really something to shout about?

New Zealand are, and always will be THE team in rugby union. That alone is a massive achievement for a nation of that size, but I cant think of anything outside of that really worth talking about. Granted I dont know anything about Netball and Softball but they dont really compete in Cricket and I'm struggling to think of big stars in other sports from New Zealand.[/b]

Making it to the world cup is something to shout about.. im sure your countrymen would be if you were going :p

And what do you mean "don't really compete" at cricket? Granted we arent the best, but not competing?

We came 3rd at the last world cup. Daniel Vettori is currently ranked as the best bowler in the world. Richard Hadlee the second best of all time. The batters looked alright too when the openers got 160 each against Ireland last year...

What other sports are there really?
[/b][/quote]

Don't really get the first comment. I think he was referring to the fact that our qualification path wasn't something to shout about. Going to the world cup no doubt is, but our path was easier and we should be grateful for that, not rubbing other countries shockingly hard path losses. Especially when they were robbed.

Sure, statistically New Zealand do well in a variety of sports for a place which is 123rd in the population stakes out of 223 countries. Population is an indicator as it influences the opportunity for the number of genetically or psychologically (also motivationally) gifted atheletes to come through. It also influences economy, which is a huge factor as well. It is the seed from which achievment grows.

So what though? Self praise is no praise. I'd rather have people from another country saying something good about us, than hearing us heaping praise on ourselves. We could otherwise end up winning the country with the biggest ego for it's population.

I know the odds are slim on the forum of New Zealand being praised by someone from another country, there does seem to be a "all blacks cheat or rob us" pie being baked, with "but we love you really" icing on top, but myself I'm not keen on the rubbing in of other countries difficulties. In my own opinion only, it makes us look a bit full of ourselves.
[/b][/quote]

I am with you C A Iversen on this one!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Nov 30 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I can sum this all up!! Its the media they hype everything up thats how they get there ratings and people watch/reading!![/b]

Well in rugby they certainly do, but also in nearly every other sport we get a lot of hype and build up through our media. It's probably best to let the results do the talking I guess.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Nov 30 2009, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Candyman @ Nov 30 2009, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I can sum this all up!! Its the media they hype everything up thats how they get there ratings and people watch/reading!![/b]

Well in rugby they certainly do, but also in nearly every other sport we get a lot of hype and build up through our media. It's probably best to let the results do the talking I guess.
[/b][/quote]

Totally agree with ya here!

Latest posts