• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealands sporting prowess

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 7 2009, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol you embarrasment, I don't even like football.[/b]
watft.jpg

:huh:

You're using the same flawed logic than that Infern0 guy, which is why I'll totally ignore your post. ;)

Which flawed logic is this? You said Spain can't be called the greatest footballing country due to the fact that they lacked the history. Italy have that history so surely they would be one of the top 2 or 3, certainly higher than Argentina.

Like any Australian I can do nothing but laud the way Italians play football/soccer in an almost sexual way, I love them that much. I even have an Italian jersey in my naughty draw that i put on when I'm doing Italian things like eating spaghetti bolognese or kissing men.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 7 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Which flawed logic is this? You said Spain can't be called the greatest footballing country due to the fact that they lacked the history. Italy have that history so surely they would be one of the top 2 or 3, certainly higher than Argentina.[/b]

That is probably the most stupid comment I've read on this Forum.

Brazil has won 5 WC, Italy 4, and Argentina 2. But resorting to consider this as the only stick with which to measure success in any football nation is downright dumb.

FIFA U-20 World Cup Statistics:

Argentina: 6 ***les
Brazil: 4 ***les
Italy... None.

Argentina and France are the only national teams that won the three most important men's ***les recognized by the FIFA: the World Cup, the Confederations Cup, and the Olympic tournament. Argentina have won more international ***les than any other nation.

Spain does lack the history, but they more than make up for it with beautiful football.

Now, on to the nations' style. Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands -- in that order -- champion the best playing style, with flair in attack, skill, technique, control... something the Italians lack.

Brazilian and Argentinian teams have 30%, maybe 20% of the budget European teams toy with. Yet still we produce players that are light years ahead of the Europeans (and light years ahead in terms of stupidity as well). This year Boca Juniors toured Europe with a 3rd choice team AND a new coach... yet still won all of their matches, except for one terrible game against Manchester United.

Brazil is ahead of Argentina, no doubt about that.

Just imagine what would happen if Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands picked their in-form players in a correct fashion. All of them would burst out in laughter at any other team.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Nov 7 2009, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Nov 7 2009, 01:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which flawed logic is this? You said Spain can't be called the greatest footballing country due to the fact that they lacked the history. Italy have that history so surely they would be one of the top 2 or 3, certainly higher than Argentina.[/b]

That is probably the most stupid comment I've read on this Forum.

Brazil has won 5 WC, Italy 4, and Argentina 2. But resorting to consider this as the only stick with which to measure success in any football nation is downright dumb.

FIFA U-20 World Cup Statistics:

Argentina: 6 ***les
Brazil: 4 ***les
Italy... None.

Argentina and France are the only national teams that won the three most important men's ***les recognized by the FIFA: the World Cup, the Confederations Cup, and the Olympic tournament. Argentina have won more international ***les than any other nation.

Spain does lack the history, but they more than make up for it with beautiful football.

Now, on to the nations' style. Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands -- in that order -- champion the best playing style, with flair in attack, skill, technique, control... something the Italians lack.

Brazilian and Argentinian teams have 30%, maybe 20% of the budget European teams toy with. Yet still we produce players that are light years ahead of the Europeans (and light years ahead in terms of stupidity as well). This year Boca Juniors toured Europe with a 3rd choice team AND a new coach... yet still won all of their matches, except for one terrible game against Manchester United.

Brazil is ahead of Argentina, no doubt about that.

Just imagine what would happen if Brazil, Argentina and the Netherlands picked their in-form players in a correct fashion. All of them would burst out in laughter at any other team.

[/b][/quote]

You know too much about wendyball, I'm not sure it's allowed on this site... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Juan Vds+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan Vds)</div>
FIFA U-20 World Cup Statistics[/b]
No one really cares about U-20 world cups. Sure they're nice to win but I'd be surprised if Argentina wouldn't trade them all in for another proper wc

Originally posted by Juan Vds+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan Vds)</div>
Argentina and France are the only national teams that won the three most important men's ***les recognized by the FIFA: the World Cup, the Confederations Cup, and the Olympic tournament. Argentina have won more international ***les than any other nation.[/b]
Don't even pretend that anyone gives a toss about those. The whole point of the confederations cup is to make sure the World Cup hosts have their house in order. A mickey mouse cup of the highest variety. As for the Olympics, well very few countries send teams and its usually a mixture of U-23 and b grade players, hardly one of the greatest tournaments on the planet.

Originally posted by Juan Vds
Argentina have won more international ***les than any other nation.
I don't doubt it. But there have been alot more Copa Americas than European Championships. Also there is usually more than two or three teams competing in Europe ie. Holland, France, England, Italy Spain, Portugal, Germany etc.

Originally posted by Juan Vds
Two things about this. Firstly, it's wrong. The Italians have and always have had brilliant attacking players. The likes of Totti, Del Piero, Baggio, Schillaci, Casiraghi, Zola, Donadoni etc. etc. Just because they play a more defensive system doesn't mean they don't have great skillful players with bags of flair. Also I believe this debate is about finding the teams or individuals that come to mind most quickly when we thing of that sport, eg. Ali with boxing, the All Blacks with rugby. Well Michael Schumacher is by far the most famous Grand Prix driver of all time and to be honest he wan't the most stylish of drivers. Why is he considered so great then? Success, pure and simple. Just like Italy.

<!--QuoteBegin-Juan Vds
@
This year Boca Juniors toured Europe with a 3rd choice team AND a new coach... yet still won all of their matches, except for one terrible game against Manchester United.
No doubt the European sides were taking these pre season warm-up games unbelievably seriously.

EDIT: forgot something.
<!--QuoteBegin-Juan Vds

How convenient to blame all of your past failures on coaching errors. To be honest Juan, you're quite biased towards Argentina in this thread. A great footballing nation, no doubt and one of my favourites( I actually prefer them to the Italians) but they are behind Italy in the pecking order.

1. The European teams actually did field first choice squads.
2. I don't blame Argentina's failures on the coaches. Sure, there have been coaches that raised my eyebrows but if the players don't play well... (2002 WC for example -- Arg had arguably the best team, but they sucked BIG TIME).
3. People care about U20 WC because it's there to groom players.
4. I can name you at least 20 players based in Arg and Brazil that would make all the players you mentioned look like dummies.

Oh, I know a lot about football because it's some sort of critical affair down here. I've never enjoyed watching European football (European? Take all South American players out of their competitions and the fun would be gone).

And my favourite team is not Argentina, but SA. Those guys really have the passion that most players have lost.

P.S: We all overlooked something. This Infern0 guy claimed he didn't like football, yet his profile unveils he's a devote follower of B. Munich. :mellow:

Disclaimer: The above post was written by somebody whose alcohol intake might have altered the accuracy of said post. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Nov 6 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
continues from Australia versus Wales rugby thread....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 6 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 5 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 6 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er, no, they are dreadful at Cricket, they are ok at that fake 20/20 sideshow, and so act like that is more important than test matches.[/b]
New Zealand are not the greatest cricket team - they are only on par with England (who by the way invented the sport). They are only ranked 7th in test (England ranked 5th), and 5th in ODI's (England ranked 7th), however they invariably make it into the semis of most major tournaments (Unlike say England). New Zealand doesn't do that bad considering the entire population is only about half that of the Greater London region! New Zealand is not good at all at 20/20 and don't give it anywhere as much consideration as most countries, so I think you might be a bit confused....

Other sports New Zealand excel at: softball (World Champs), Netball (2nd in world), Rugby League (World Champs), Rowing (probably the most successful country at world champs) - the only sport they don't really excel in Football (though they are on track to qualify for the world cup for the first time in 25 odd years). So nice try, but an epic fail by you :p

Anyways, I thought this thread was about Australia and Wales in rugby, my bad....
[/b][/quote]

Netball? Lol

Softball? Lol again

Rugby League (three countries play it)

Rowing? Ha I have a funny story about Rowing, At the Bejing Olympics the Kiwi's were Hyping up this old bloke Mahe Drysdale, saying all he had to do to win was show up (a bit like sarah walker in the bmx, who they said was the world champion, even though some english bird was actually the world champion lol) anyway Mahe realised he was losing so pretended he was sick, and layed on the floor crying.
What the kiwis did was 6 months later they invited the guy who beat Mahe to race him in new zealand, on mahes home course, and claimed that "this is for the REAL olympic gold medal and hyped it up for weeks (i swear im not making this up). So Mahe lost again, even worse than when he was "ill" and the kiwis pretended it never happened.

By the way mate, go to youtube and search for Danny Williams vs Kali Meehan, one of the greatest moments in the history of Kiwi Vs England sports.
[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry you haven't really made any remotely valid points - what sports in particular are you suggesting that New Zealand are hopeless at? I've listed a number that they excel in and you are yet to list a single sport that they are below par in!

So Drysdale didn't win the Gold because he was ill - big deal. He still managed a bronze (how did the English rowers Alan Campbell go in this event by the way?). He won the World Champs again this year (in a world record time). Just because Kiwi's don't win every event that they predicted to win doesn't make them hopeless at all sports as you seem to think!

btw Kali Meehan is very much an Australian (though he did spend some time growing up in New Zealand), though and the relevance of an average British boxer knocking out a average boxer (whether Australian or New Zealand) is beyond me.
[/b][/quote]

Once again...

Australia are the World Softball Champs...
[/b][/quote]

After New Zealand had won the previous 3 in a row.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Like any Australian I can do nothing but laud the way Italians play football/soccer in an almost sexual way, I love them that much. I even have an Italian jersey in my naughty draw that i put on when I'm doing Italian things like eating spaghetti bolognese or kissing men.[/b]

Is your favourite player Fabio Grosso?

foul9_gallery__470x310.jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Nov 7 2009, 06:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
1. The European teams actually did field first choice squads.
2. I don't blame Argentina's failures on the coaches. Sure, there have been coaches that raised my eyebrows but if the players don't play well... (2002 WC for example -- Arg had arguably the best team, but they sucked BIG TIME).
3. People care about U20 WC because it's there to groom players.
4. I can name you at least 20 players based in Arg and Brazil that would make all the players you mentioned look like dummies.

Oh, I know a lot about football because it's some sort of critical affair down here. I've never enjoyed watching European football (European? Take all South American players out of their competitions and the fun would be gone).

And my favourite team is not Argentina, but SA. Those guys really have the passion that most players have lost.

P.S: We all overlooked something. This Infern0 guy claimed he didn't like football, yet his profile unveils he's a devote follower of B. Munich. :mellow:[/b]
Number four is just a lie. Del Piero is a god.

NZ fortunes are on the rise in Football, Aussie Rules, and Basketball.

Unfort off set by being pants at hockey, ice hockey, and apparently equestrian judging from recent results.

Yeah we always seem to punch above our weight when it comes to sports. We should start being like the French thou and do things like RWC forward passes or Henry handballs hehe than we'd do even better. Just joking but seriously thou we do pretty good for a country of 4.3 million.

I dont understand this thread. Granted I've only barely read it, but qualifying for the world cup by coming out of a group that contains New Caledonia, Figi and Vanuatu (while they actually managed to lose one of those games :) ). Then beating Bahrain 1:0 over two legs. I'm going to get shot down for saying this and I sincerely am happy to see teams like New Zealand get to the WC, but is the above really something to shout about?

New Zealand are, and always will be THE team in rugby union. That alone is a massive achievement for a nation of that size, but I cant think of anything outside of that really worth talking about. Granted I dont know anything about Netball and Softball but they dont really compete in Cricket and I'm struggling to think of big stars in other sports from New Zealand.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 26 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I dont understand this thread. Granted I've only barely read it, but qualifying for the world cup by coming out of a group that contains New Caledonia, Figi and Vanuatu (while they actually managed to lose one of those games :) ). Then beating Bahrain 1:0 over two legs. I'm going to get shot down for saying this and I sincerely am happy to see teams like New Zealand get to the WC, but is the above really something to shout about?

New Zealand are, and always will be THE team in rugby union. That alone is a massive achievement for a nation of that size, but I cant think of anything outside of that really worth talking about. Granted I dont know anything about Netball and Softball but they dont really compete in Cricket and I'm struggling to think of big stars in other sports from New Zealand.[/b]
Hmmm, clearly you are not familiar with New Zealand's shot-put accomplishments...in the men’s we're not great...in the woman’s division however... :(

We also have a few standout athletes in cycling and triathlons and we have some good rowers as well.

The other major competition which we do well in is the America's Cup.

The entry of New Zealand in the football World Cup is big for New Zealand, not because we had to beat the best to gain entry, however we have accomplished something we haven’t been able to before. NZ is claiming to be a great football nation, but it is on the rise, which is promising. We lost to Italy 3-4 earlier in the year, which is like the equivalent of Portugal losing to the AB's 21-27, which would I am sure excite Portugal. It isn't like Portugal have to play the AB's in order to gain entrance into the RWC, however it doesn’t take away from the achievement of being able to face the best teams in the world on one of the biggest stages.
In terms of NZ population we do well on many sports. We're not as competitive as England, USA, and Australia etc on a world stage, but we do as well as them in comparison to population.
I think if anyone claims NZ are the greatest sporting nation outside of rugby, they are blowing hot air. We're good for our size, but that is all we have going for us, and it does have a certain dignity to it.

I fully understand the pride in qualifying for the WC and I certainly dont want to take away from that. Its always great for the country as a whole when an international team achieves at a national level in an event that is the scale of a football WC. Just think what'll happen if you pull off a shock result. Its great fun and I'll be shouting for you.

I wasnt meaning to knock the country or that achievement. I just couldnt see any reason for the "we punch above our weight" comment. There are plenty of smaller countries (of similar size) that could compare favourably, if not more favourable to New Zealands sporting achievements.

Then again it would be stupid to say your not a sporting nation, as there are also plenty of compariblely sized countries that wouldnt know what a sport is.

I take it back, you guys do punch above your weight on the international sporting stage.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Nov 26 2009, 12:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

New Zealand are, and always will be THE team in rugby union. That alone is a massive achievement for a nation of that size, but I cant think of anything outside of that really worth talking about. Granted I dont know anything about Netball and Softball but they dont really compete in Cricket and I'm struggling to think of big stars in other sports from New Zealand.[/b]

Making it to the world cup is something to shout about.. im sure your countrymen would be if you were going :p

And what do you mean "don't really compete" at cricket? Granted we arent the best, but not competing?

We came 3rd at the last world cup. Daniel Vettori is currently ranked as the best bowler in the world. Richard Hadlee the second best of all time. The batters looked alright too when the openers got 160 each against Ireland last year...

What other sports are there really?

Latest posts