• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealands sporting prowess

To be honest, I think Australia, the UK, USA, Russia and arguably NZ are the world's greatest sporting nations if you take population into account.

Australia is obvious. 20 million people, they are consistently in the top 10 Olympic medals table. Their cricket team is consistently awesome. Their union team always punches above its weight. Their league team is always the team to beat. They're not that bad at football. There's usually a world class Aussie tennis player/ golfer around and about. And their main sport isn't even played internationally.

USA too... even though most of their team sports aren't played internationally, the standard is very high. Athletics and other olympic sports, they excel at. Tennis and golf, they dominate. Don't need to go on.

Russia seem to produce tennis players and athletes off a conveyor belt. Teams may not be up there, but in terms of developing individual talent, they are incredible.

NZ - because for 4 million people, they produce permanently amazing union teams. They punch well above their weight in league, they're good at cricket... maybe a little to small for a major sporting nation.

UK - everyone may knock us but, aside from inventing almost every major international team sport... combine the achievements of England and Wales <strike>and Scotland</strike> and you have a very successful union nation. League is decent. Our cricket team is always up with the best. Despite occasional flops, so is the football team. At the Olympics, our 60 million population is usually surrounded by much larger nations in the medal table. Plus, we are one of the world's most successful nations at boxing.

"By the way, I hope no-one is getting offended, its a heated debate but no need to take it too seriously, i just love a good argument at times.

I realise currently Carter is better than Wikinson, but All time, and in terms of achivements Wilkinson clearly is better, just think of what he achieved while having the handicap of playing for England!"

No, I wouldn't get offended by dismissing the sporting acheivments of my country, and the character of the sporting fans in NZ.
New Zealand isn't an amazing sporting country, we do well considering, but very few New Zealanders believe that NZ is the place to go for sports. New Zealanders can get defencive when it comes to rugby, because so much of New Zealand's calture revolves around it, one of the biggest events in NZ history, that devided a country revolved around a rugby tour. People from over seas seem to get their kicks at watching NZ fail at rugby, but when other countries excell at rugby, from a person who has lived in NZ his entire life, generally people are pleased by others sporting acheivments and gives motives for NZ to push further.
New Zealand isn't great in several sports...the reason for that is because people really only play rugby, and other sports are alternative, not something you look to make a career out of.

Something that most New Zealanders have is a thing called "tall poppy syndrome" which means we often feel the need to belittle our acheivments and have ago against those that seem arrogant. New Zealand is like that. It is a generalisation that NZ fans are all most too humble that we don't like to brag as we feel like idiots. Again this is a generalisation and we can of course get defencive when we are belittled. The main difference between a NZ and a England Rugby supported is that when NZ lose we are unhappy and push our teams further, while England fans just turn against their own teams and write off the sport, however when England are winning, the fans act as if they have been behind England 100% of the time, and that their winning team is the best team in the history of the sport (example is 2003), however when the going gets touch, the English fans get going. Again that is a generalisation, and I'm sure there are plenty of loyal England fans, but the seeming arrogance that NZ's seem to have to others, I believe to be a misconseption.

I would also like to point out now, that many English posters don't seem to convey the typical English attitude, such as the above poster, gingergenius and I've noticed people such as Prestwick ect seem to be pretty unbias.

Upon further reflection, I realise I am just as guilty as making perhaps unfair generalisations about the English supporters, as it seems that I have used one persons post and turned it into a British hate fest, let me make a new post -

I think Australia are probably the best sporting nation in the world because they've got heaps of world champions in all sorts of sports. Also you're average Australian chick is hot as hell and very fit so that's kind of a indication on how sporty they are.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 5 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
continues from Australia versus Wales rugby thread....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 6 2009, 10:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Nov 5 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 6 2009, 09:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Er, no, they are dreadful at Cricket, they are ok at that fake 20/20 sideshow, and so act like that is more important than test matches.[/b]
New Zealand are not the greatest cricket team - they are only on par with England (who by the way invented the sport). They are only ranked 7th in test (England ranked 5th), and 5th in ODI's (England ranked 7th), however they invariably make it into the semis of most major tournaments (Unlike say England). New Zealand doesn't do that bad considering the entire population is only about half that of the Greater London region! New Zealand is not good at all at 20/20 and don't give it anywhere as much consideration as most countries, so I think you might be a bit confused....

Other sports New Zealand excel at: softball (World Champs), Netball (2nd in world), Rugby League (World Champs), Rowing (probably the most successful country at world champs) - the only sport they don't really excel in Football (though they are on track to qualify for the world cup for the first time in 25 odd years). So nice try, but an epic fail by you :p

Anyways, I thought this thread was about Australia and Wales in rugby, my bad....
[/b][/quote]

Netball? Lol

Softball? Lol again

Rugby League (three countries play it)

Rowing? Ha I have a funny story about Rowing, At the Bejing Olympics the Kiwi's were Hyping up this old bloke Mahe Drysdale, saying all he had to do to win was show up (a bit like sarah walker in the bmx, who they said was the world champion, even though some english bird was actually the world champion lol) anyway Mahe realised he was losing so pretended he was sick, and layed on the floor crying.
What the kiwis did was 6 months later they invited the guy who beat Mahe to race him in new zealand, on mahes home course, and claimed that "this is for the REAL olympic gold medal and hyped it up for weeks (i swear im not making this up). So Mahe lost again, even worse than when he was "ill" and the kiwis pretended it never happened.

By the way mate, go to youtube and search for Danny Williams vs Kali Meehan, one of the greatest moments in the history of Kiwi Vs England sports.
[/b][/quote]

I'm sorry you haven't really made any remotely valid points - what sports in particular are you suggesting that New Zealand are hopeless at? I've listed a number that they excel in and you are yet to list a single sport that they are below par in!

So Drysdale didn't win the Gold because he was ill - big deal. He still managed a bronze (how did the English rowers Alan Campbell go in this event by the way?). He won the World Champs again this year (in a world record time). Just because Kiwi's don't win every event that they predicted to win doesn't make them hopeless at all sports as you seem to think!

btw Kali Meehan is very much an Australian (though he did spend some time growing up in New Zealand), though and the relevance of an average British boxer knocking out a average boxer (whether Australian or New Zealand) is beyond me.
[/b][/quote]

Once again...

Australia are the World Softball Champs...

If you go there and click on the last column, you can see the all time Olympic ranking...and see that Soviet Union is actually the most succesful country ever in the Olympics.
Some sports are not in the Olympics though, but I can't be arsed...

:huh:
I now understand why everyone thinks we're arrogant pr!cks

Infern0 strikes me as a football fan, one of the "England is obviously the best team in the world because we won the world cup 43years ago" brigade

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Nov 6 2009, 05:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
:huh:
I now understand why everyone thinks we're arrogant pr!cks

Infern0 strikes me as a football fan, one of the "England is obviously the best team in the world because we won the world cup 43years ago" brigade[/b]

:lol:

And Michael Owen is undoubtedly the greatest footballer of all time. O' ALL TIME!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 6 2009, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This thread sux it's just creating division between everybody, in the famous words of Dr Martin Luther Kings Junior "why can't we all just get along".

Who are considered to be the best football country in the world? I know crap all about it but I just assumed it was Brazil or Argentina. I don't wanna know who won the last Football World Cup I wanna know who's the best.[/b]
Spain are the best team in the world.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Nov 6 2009, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Nov 6 2009, 01:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This thread sux it's just creating division between everybody, in the famous words of Dr Martin Luther Kings Junior "why can't we all just get along".

Who are considered to be the best football country in the world? I know crap all about it but I just assumed it was Brazil or Argentina. I don't wanna know who won the last Football World Cup I wanna know who's the best.[/b]
Spain are the best team in the world.
[/b][/quote]

:huh: ...?

Right now, Spain are the best team in the world, no doubt. They have great players, that happen to be in great form. But there's simply no way they are the best football country in the world. I can name at least 4 teams that are light years ahead of them.

Oh, and congratulations to the All Whites. They've been improving a lot.

Spain? even thou I've never watched a full Football match I know that isn't right. I want to know who's the best like Rugby League - Kangaroos, Rugby - All Blacks, Baseball - New York Yankees, Golf - Tiger Woods, Surfing - Kelly Slater etc. Football??

Argentina and Brazil, without a doubt.

Argentina holds more international ***les that any other nation in the world, and Brazil has won the WC 5 times. It's kind of even if you think about it -- while Argentina has not won as many World Cups as Brazil, our hermanos up north have never won a gold medal at the OG.

Teams like Real Madrid, Barcelona and Man. United may have plenty of stars, but they would struggle against any domestic Argentinian / Brazilian team (Boca Juniors holds the record for international ***les, along with AC Milano).

According to several polls the greatest footballers are: Pelé (Brazil), Maradona (Arg), Di Stéfano (Arg), and Cruyff (NL).

Lol you embarrasment, I don't even like football.

Football is the reason why underachieve at other sports. Too much emphasis is based on football and not enough on other sports.

And before you go sucking up to the Kiwi's you need to understand, I spent a year in New Zealand, before I went I had no opinions on the kiwi sports fans and media, but I was THERE, I know what they are like.

I spent a year reading things like "Are England Rugby's Great FRAUDS?"

undefined

Every time New Zealand wins against us, instead of a bit of good sportsmanship, I am told how the Mighty Kiwis "Crushed Pathetic England" even if it was close. I was told how English men are "Physically inferior to Kiwis" which is why we are "no good at Rugby"

You can laugh and call me an idiot if you like but it doiesn't change the fact that I was there and am talking from experience, and you are talking out of your ass!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Nov 6 2009, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Once again...

Australia are the World Softball Champs...[/b]

Indeed they are - my bad. Now I think about it the tournament was only a few months ago, with Australia thrashing NZ in the final!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 7 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lol you embarrasment, I don't even like football.

Football is the reason why underachieve at other sports. Too much emphasis is based on football and not enough on other sports.

And before you go sucking up to the Kiwi's you need to understand, I spent a year in New Zealand, before I went I had no opinions on the kiwi sports fans and media, but I was THERE, I know what they are like.

I spent a year reading things like "Are England Rugby's Great FRAUDS?"

undefined

Every time New Zealand wins against us, instead of a bit of good sportsmanship, I am told how the Mighty Kiwis "Crushed Pathetic England" even if it was close. I was told how English men are "Physically inferior to Kiwis" which is why we are "no good at Rugby"

You can laugh and call me an idiot if you like but it doiesn't change the fact that I was there and am talking from experience, and you are talking out of your ass![/b]

Jeesus ...I'm not even gonna try...

You suck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Nov 7 2009, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 7 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spent a year reading things like "Are England Rugby's Great FRAUDS?"[/b]

You suck.
[/b][/quote]

Pretty much.

Infern0 mate, if New Zealanders can't spell or use proper grammar for poop then why did you put up with it so much? For example, "Are England's Great FRAUDS?" what exactly? Did they drive you mad by asking questions like "Are Martin Johnson's great FRAUDS-" and then trail off, leaving you hanging for the answer?

On all your other points though, you're on your own pal :D

Talking out of my ass I am not.

Flawed your logic is.

Paranoid, you seem to be.

fool-yoda-mr-t-demotivational-poster-1232857279.jpg

Joking aside, have you ever considered that most Kiwis are not like that? We're not sucking up to the Kiwis (I'm a Saffa, so go figure).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Nov 7 2009, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Nov 7 2009, 02:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Infern0 @ Nov 7 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I spent a year reading things like "Are England Rugby's Great FRAUDS?"[/b]

You suck.
[/b][/quote]

Pretty much.

Infern0 mate, if New Zealanders can't spell or use proper grammar for poop then why did you put up with it so much? For example, "Are England's Great FRAUDS?" what exactly? Did they drive you mad by asking questions like "Are Martin Johnson's great FRAUDS-" and then trail off, leaving you hanging for the answer?

On all your other points though, you're on your own pal :D
[/b][/quote]
ROFL, that made me laugh so hard.

On another note I havn't heard NZ's bash English rugby, except when it turns into "my dick is bigger" thing in which Nz can be as guilty as any other country, including some English men. NZ's are hardly saints, but I fail to see how we are any more arrogant then the rest of the world, at their passions. Out of curiosity where did you live in NZ Infer0?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Juan VdS @ Nov 7 2009, 02:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Joking aside, have you ever considered that most Kiwis are not like that? We're not sucking up to the Kiwis (I'm a Saffa, so go figure).[/b]

Juan, any more out of you and its the COUNTY JAIL (or banned) for you! We'll have none of your logic or common sense here, compadre!

Latest posts