Next All Black coach?

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by 40/20, Oct 28, 2019.

1. The_Blindside

The_Blindside International

Country Flag:

England

Club or Nation:

British Irish Lions

they’ve only given Foster a 2 year contract. Hardly a ringing endorsement, despite being assistant for 8 years. It gives the NZRU an escape clause if needed and Foster could be said to be on trial.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

kind of feels like we're really preparing for a rebuild

If things dont feel right after two years, then Foster gets the flick and someone else comes in, and has two years to prepare for the next WC, prob with little expectations but with an eye to 2027 after a six year tender

4. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

agree about naholo. never shouldve been dropped. as good as sevu was naholo is better and still has the goods.
    but imo mounga got shown up for his defensive frailties in the england game. roses just targeted mounga and forced him to make tackles all day and he was found wanting.

5. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

we could easily say he just didn't have enough games facing international opposition

I rate Naholo, never thought he had a "bad" game for the AB's, sure, he has ones where he might have been invisible, or at least didn't score but i always thought he never "lost" the jersey...they just took it off him for someone else

i also think he never got the credit for defensive plays, he is a beast for turn overs, has the technique of a loosie, big hit/release/spin to come onside/wide stance over the ball

• Like Like x 1
  6. mania

mania First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Samoa

yup agree. but i see it as mounga wasnt ready for international rugby yet. with all his skill and ability he didnt have enough calm under fire. barrett shouldve started and bender shouldve been at the back. why we benched the best fullback in the world i dunno
    agree about naholo. was dropped for no real reason other than sevu was the new up n comer, but again sevu didnt have enough experience to dig down into that dark place where you draw your mana and chi.

7. Derpus

Derpus Bench Player

Country Flag:

Australia

Club or Nation:

Waratahs

Sevu was the only All Black to play well against England.

Hes a wife beater though and is basically just Naholo-lite, so yeah.

8. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

he was dropped even before Reece got the nod, theyd rather play bender out of position than Naholo

maybe thats how he got the job...say down in the interview and said..."i wouldn't have played Bender out of position"

9. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

Apparently Foster is looking at Brad Mooar for an assistant coaching role, as a fan of all Welsh regions I would be very sorry to see him exit the Scarlets. He has already worked minor wonders with a squad that has been heavily depleted by a lot of internationals & injured players... and apart from that he just seems to be an extremely smart, positive an all around gentleman of the game.

Having said all that, I’m sure that he is a proud New Zealander and will therefore take the offer should it be made official. If that’s the case I can’t really complain and would wish him all the success that’s due to him.

10. Zapphod

Zapphod Academy Player

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

Personally I get the impression that NZ rugby will have to go the way of NZ netball, Sevens rugby and completely collapse before they will make the changes necessary to lead us forward.

It was becoming painfully obvious for the last year or so that the All Blacks had peaked and needed some new ideas to reinvigorate it, sadly they have stuck with the old boys network.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bushytop

bushytop First XV

Country Flag:

Wales

Club or Nation:

London Welsh

I personally would’ve gone outside of the inner circle which has run the All Blacks for a decade and a half but sometimes the ‘unknown’ is scary to those in power. He’ll have two years to prove his worth, be thankful there are so many worthy suitors... New Zealander’s are in no short supply when it comes to top drawer coaches.

12. Jabby

Jabby First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Otago

they did include Waimarama Taumaunu (silvers ferns coach) on the selection panel, a bit of an attempt to think outside the box

• Like Like x 1
  13. Umaga's Witness

Umaga's Witness First XV

Country Flag:

New Zealand

Club or Nation:

Hurricanes

It’s now official.
    Foster head coach
    Plumtree forwards
    Feek scrum
    Mooar attack
    McLeod defence

Not bad, but I’m not feeling overly excited. A good set of coaches but nothing special, nothing creative.

So Schmidt not coaching til June means what? Nothing it seems, unless he was in Robertson’s camp. What about cotter? In Robertson’s camp too? And where is the so called “rockstar of world rugby”, that was supposed to be in fosters team, according to a reporter who supposedly had inside knowledge? Maybe something fell through? I see no rock stars.

now maybe they do ok, But it will be worrying if they play everyday basic rugby and still win, so get another two years, and then don’t win.

14. miccloarch

miccloarch Academy Player

Club or Nation:

New Zealand

Razor was the obvious choice for anyone who cares more about intelligent, attacking, winning rugby than "loyalty." ABs for life, but for the next two possibly four years I will have so much disdain for the NZRU if the ABs don't absolutely destroy the opposition.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!