• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next All Black coach?

The whole process of appointing the next ABs coach turned out to be a foregone conclusion.

I would have certainly understood the reasoning behind this decision (i.e. the continuity factor) should the ABs had won the RWC 2019, but their game and overall display, bar a couple of games scattered here and there, have been average at best since at least 2017.

This was an immense opportunity to freshen the things up, moreover considering all the retirements and sabbaticals post RWC 2019, but it was missed.

Anyway, I guess that we'll see next year the consequences of today's decision, in one way or the other.

they've only given Foster a 2 year contract. Hardly a ringing endorsement, despite being assistant for 8 years. It gives the NZRU an escape clause if needed and Foster could be said to be on trial.

Last edited:
kind of feels like we're really preparing for a rebuild

If things dont feel right after two years, then Foster gets the flick and someone else comes in, and has two years to prepare for the next WC, prob with little expectations but with an eye to 2027 after a six year tender

- investing for two years in players that have either been on the aging side (i.e. Izzy Dagg), injury-prone (i.e. Milner Skkuder) or on the verge of departure (i.e. Sopoaga), instead of developing or introducing sooner in the AB environment players like Naholo, Mo'Unga, etc.;
agree about naholo. never shouldve been dropped. as good as sevu was naholo is better and still has the goods.
but imo mounga got shown up for his defensive frailties in the england game. roses just targeted mounga and forced him to make tackles all day and he was found wanting.

agree about naholo. never shouldve been dropped. as good as sevu was naholo is better and still has the goods.
but imo mounga got shown up for his defensive frailties in the england game. roses just targeted mounga and forced him to make tackles all day and he was found wanting.

we could easily say he just didn't have enough games facing international opposition

I rate Naholo, never thought he had a "bad" game for the AB's, sure, he has ones where he might have been invisible, or at least didn't score but i always thought he never "lost" the jersey...they just took it off him for someone else

i also think he never got the credit for defensive plays, he is a beast for turn overs, has the technique of a loosie, big hit/release/spin to come onside/wide stance over the ball

we could easily say he just didn't have enough games facing international oppositionl
yup agree. but i see it as mounga wasnt ready for international rugby yet. with all his skill and ability he didnt have enough calm under fire. barrett shouldve started and bender shouldve been at the back. why we benched the best fullback in the world i dunno
agree about naholo. was dropped for no real reason other than sevu was the new up n comer, but again sevu didnt have enough experience to dig down into that dark place where you draw your mana and chi.

yup agree. but i see it as mounga wasnt ready for international rugby yet. with all his skill and ability he didnt have enough calm under fire. barrett shouldve started and bender shouldve been at the back. why we benched the best fullback in the world i dunno
agree about naholo. was dropped for no real reason other than sevu was the new up n comer, but again sevu didnt have enough experience to dig down into that dark place where you draw your mana and chi.
Sevu was the only All Black to play well against England.

Hes a wife beater though and is basically just Naholo-lite, so yeah.

he was dropped even before Reece got the nod, theyd rather play bender out of position than Naholo

maybe thats how he got the job...say down in the interview and said..."i wouldn't have played Bender out of position"

Apparently Foster is looking at Brad Mooar for an assistant coaching role, as a fan of all Welsh regions I would be very sorry to see him exit the Scarlets. He has already worked minor wonders with a squad that has been heavily depleted by a lot of internationals & injured players... and apart from that he just seems to be an extremely smart, positive an all around gentleman of the game.

Having said all that, I'm sure that he is a proud New Zealander and will therefore take the offer should it be made official. If that's the case I can't really complain and would wish him all the success that's due to him.

So Fozzy gets the gig eh, could understand the continuity if they'd won the recent World Cup but I suppose it served them well after 2007.

From what I've read within the New Zealand media etc, there wasn't a large percentage of people wanting him to get it but 'If' it were all to go wrong they have a few people who could quickly step in like Gats and Robertson... so I'm sure no one is really that concerned.

Personally I get the impression that NZ rugby will have to go the way of NZ netball, Sevens rugby and completely collapse before they will make the changes necessary to lead us forward.

It was becoming painfully obvious for the last year or so that the All Blacks had peaked and needed some new ideas to reinvigorate it, sadly they have stuck with the old boys network.

Personally I get the impression that NZ rugby will have to go the way of NZ netball, Sevens rugby and completely collapse before they will make the changes necessary to lead us forward.

It was becoming painfully obvious for the last year or so that the All Blacks had peaked and needed some new ideas to reinvigorate it, sadly they have stuck with the old boys network.
I personally would've gone outside of the inner circle which has run the All Blacks for a decade and a half but sometimes the 'unknown' is scary to those in power. He'll have two years to prove his worth, be thankful there are so many worthy suitors... New Zealander's are in no short supply when it comes to top drawer coaches.

I personally would've gone outside of the inner circle which has run the All Blacks for a decade and a half but sometimes the 'unknown' is scary to those in power. He'll have two years to prove his worth, be thankful there are so many worthy suitors... New Zealander's are in no short supply when it comes to top drawer coaches.

they did include Waimarama Taumaunu (silvers ferns coach) on the selection panel, a bit of an attempt to think outside the box

It's now official.
Foster head coach
Plumtree forwards
Feek scrum
Mooar attack
McLeod defence

Not bad, but I'm not feeling overly excited. A good set of coaches but nothing special, nothing creative.

So Schmidt not coaching til June means what? Nothing it seems, unless he was in Robertson's camp. What about cotter? In Robertson's camp too? And where is the so called "rockstar of world rugby", that was supposed to be in fosters team, according to a reporter who supposedly had inside knowledge? Maybe something fell through? I see no rock stars.

now maybe they do ok, But it will be worrying if they play everyday basic rugby and still win, so get another two years, and then don't win.

Razor was the obvious choice for anyone who cares more about intelligent, attacking, winning rugby than "loyalty." ABs for life, but for the next two possibly four years I will have so much disdain for the NZRU if the ABs don't absolutely destroy the opposition.

Latest posts