• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next All Black coach?

According to "sources" and dot joining by the reporters at the Herald, fosters team is likely to include Schmidt, plumtree (who was forwards coach with Schmidt for Ireland in 2913-2014), Scott McLeod, and Greg feek (who has been scrum coach with Schmidt for ireland). Id certainly prefer plumtree to Cooper, and feek I think will be a great acquisition.

I'd still prefer a Joseph and brown led team or a rennie led team even if they had to exclude all of fosters assistants, just because of the style of game we might see. Schmidts influence may make the team more likely to win but mechanical, I'd rather the all blacks were more free spirited

And the herald is also speculating Robertson will have Ryan and is looking at MacDonald. Now let me put something out there that I haven't heard anyone mention - Robbie deans. Robertson has to be smart enough to know he needs someone with international experience if he's going to convince the panel he's the right man. So deans, or maybe cotter, can't think who else. It's probably better if he had both. I think he'll have cotter

Hypothetically, Which team would you pick of the following:

foster Schmidt McLeod Plumtree
Vs
Robertson deans cotter Ryan

?

The appointment process is starting to look like a bit of show, I think the NZRU have every intention of just continuing with Foster.

There's at least 4-5 other coaches that would definitely do a better job than Ian and likely another 5 that would do just as well, if not better. Yet we are going to end up with him, even though when have the choice of picking the best.

Joseph and Rennie signing off on other deals appears to be a clear indication they thought they had little to no chance getting the position, signalling it's basically all but done and dusted and Foster is taking over. Gutting.

The appointment process is starting to look like a bit of show, I think the NZRU have every intention of just continuing with Foster.

There's at least 4-5 other coaches that would definitely do a better job than Ian and likely another 5 that would do just as well, if not better. Yet we are going to end up with him, even though when have the choice of picking the best.

Joseph and Rennie signing off on other deals appears to be a clear indication they thought they had little to no chance getting the position, signalling it's basically all but done and dusted and Foster is taking over. Gutting.
Rennie said he chose Australia because talks were so far advanced he felt the NZ interest was too late - not that he couldnt get the role.

I reckon cold hard cash turned Joseph off the gig.

Rennie said he chose Australia because talks were so far advanced he felt the NZ interest was too late - not that he couldnt get the role.

I reckon cold hard cash turned Joseph off the gig.

Yeah I'm aware he said that, but I'm sure that's not the only factor.

No offence to Australian rugby, but anyone would drop that gig for the All Blacks job.

The recruitment process looks disorganized as well, more reason I think it's just a show.

Yeah I'm aware he said that, but I'm sure that's not the only factor.

No offence to Australian rugby, but anyone would drop that gig for the All Blacks job.

The recruitment process looks disorganized as well, more reason I think it's just a show.
Anyone but Rennie i suppose

Do the NZ public have confidence in Foster being the head coach and to lead the All Blacks forward ?

Do the NZ public have confidence in Foster being the head coach and to lead the All Blacks forward ?
Don't really know. Did you have specific thoughts behind that question? I would think the public look negatively upon a World Cup loss so want a new coach.

Don't really know. Did you have specific thoughts behind that question? I would think the public look negatively upon a World Cup loss so want a new coach.

I think it's more about what the mood is about the rugby public in NZ and what the general opinion is about the coaching job. Us outsiders living in other countries are interested in this matter as it seems like the NZRU are dragging this out way longer than they should have. They knew Hansen would finish after the World Cup and should have been way more prepared to sign the new coach. Whereas Australia on the other hand moved swiftly, and got the coach they wanted and made it a done deal.

I think the focus is on the coaching appointment specifically because of NZs high expectations and a RWC 3rd place being seen as a poor show. Perhaps too much concern is showed in this regard but one can understand it.

I think in SA we are riding high on the win BUT I feel we should be as concerned, maybe even more than NZ, about our coaching appointment. I do not know how much say Rassie will have and even if he has a ton of say is that necessarily a good thing having a coach an DOR with equal say? Reports have touted Solomon for top job. I don't know about you and I don't want to judge the man but his CV reads that he has coached a very poor Kings side and thats it. Granted the Kings are a tough gig but its a HUGE step up for someone who hasn't covered himself in glory at a much lower tier of the game.

I think the focus is on the coaching appointment specifically because of NZs high expectations and a RWC 3rd place being seen as a poor show. Perhaps too much concern is showed in this regard but one can understand it.

I think in SA we are riding high on the win BUT I feel we should be as concerned, maybe even more than NZ, about our coaching appointment. I do not know how much say Rassie will have and even if he has a ton of say is that necessarily a good thing having a coach an DOR with equal say? Reports have touted Solomon for top job. I don't know about you and I don't want to judge the man but his CV reads that he has coached a very poor Kings side and thats it. Granted the Kings are a tough gig but its a HUGE step up for someone who hasn't covered himself in glory at a much lower tier of the game.

Those reports change daily. Yesterday it was Davids being touted as the head coach. But yeah, we should be as concerned if not more, unless SA Rugby manages to persuade Rassie to remain as Head Coach as well.

Schmidts influence may make the team more likely to win but mechanical, I'd rather the all blacks were more free spirited
I wouldn't worry about that, Schmidt's Leinster and Clermont teams were some of the most expensive and attacking club teams to ever play in Europe. Wing selection will probably be based off different criteria than before but he won't start putting Keith Earls clones in there with the talent available to him.

I'm just thinking the NZ public might think he is a bit of a lightweight for such a big job. And he is better as an assistant.

If he gets the job i just expect the continued evolution of what we've had for the last 12 years....so i comes down to how they view our knock out

nothing else we could have done, england just too go - Foster
we could have done something, new ideas were needed etc - Razor

I guess that NZRU did not imagine that the All Blacks might lose this World Cup, thus seeing the appointment of the post Hansen coach a matter of succession only, from the latter to Foster, not a recruitment process per se.

In hindsight, still can't believe how many errors the All Blacks coaching staff generated in the latest World Cup cycle, from selection to playing positions and everything in between.

The next year Rugby Championship and the England vs New Zealand clash should be a cracker.

Hope NZRU will go with Razor though.

Last edited:

He is part of the team that didn't take Laumape, who started Scott Barrett in Sam Cane's position...... Still took Sonny-Bill Williams on the trip. Who never truly figured out this whole rush defence even though it was a problem 2 years ago, and ultimately ran out of ideas and were completely outplayed by England.

The short answer would be no.

He made the finals with the Chiefs just 2 times in 8 years, in his last 2 seasons they finished 10th and 11th then immediately after he left, Rennie won back to back Super Rugby ***les and the Chiefs have been in the finals every single year since Foster's departure. Not only that, he's just not likable, I don't think he has the persona for the job.

EDIT: His Chiefs side were on the receiving end of that record Bulls walloping in the final 61-17 in 2009. I do not want him taking the All Blacks to a RWC.

Last edited:

Latest posts