• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next All Black coach?

Wishing we'd hear more about who Robertson has in his side. Some media is suggesting McLeod is in both sides, and I don't see why Schmidt wouldn't do the same. I read an article saying Schmidt doesn't like dealing with the media. I will be very surprised if he isn't some kind of assistant.

I'm just thinking the NZ public might think he is a bit of a lightweight for such a big job. And he is better as an assistant.
Possibly. He doesn't have a huge amount of charisma, i doubt he is A household name. While I live in New Zealand, I don't mix with rugby fans too often so I don't really know.
I wouldn't worry about that, Schmidt's Leinster and Clermont teams were some of the most expensive and attacking club teams to ever play in Europe. Wing selection will probably be based off different criteria than before but he won't start putting Keith Earls clones in there with the talent available to him.
Good to know, but was it structured or unstructured attack?
I think it's more about what the mood is about the rugby public in NZ and what the general opinion is about the coaching job. Us outsiders living in other countries are interested in this matter as it seems like the NZRU are dragging this out way longer than they should have. They knew Hansen would finish after the World Cup and should have been way more prepared to sign the new coach. Whereas Australia on the other hand moved swiftly, and got the coach they wanted and made it a done deal.
The media echoes those thoughts and some of the public tend to echo the media.

I can only assume hes managed to convince the selection panel he has some ideas Hansen didn't want to investigate....or everyone decided nothing needs to chenge

I can only assume hes managed to convince the selection panel he has some ideas Hansen didn't want to investigate....or everyone decided nothing needs to chenge

I honestly think the Bledisloe Cup might swap cabinets... I could see Dave Rennie come out and completely out-coach Foster...

rugby hat on, could be an exciting prospect, i bit of the unknown...all blacks cap on, i really like posting that meme about no Australian has even been able to post on social media about winning the Bledisloe

Can't fault the administrators for choosing him.

Their successor system has shown to work very well ever since the Graham Henry era. All the systems are in place, and the All Blacks will remain a dominant force. I think it's time that their old guys move on and make space for the youngsters.

I honestly think the Bledisloe Cup might swap cabinets... I could see Dave Rennie come out and completely out-coach Foster...
Mate RA is literally on the edge of bankruptcy. There is no risk of that.

rugby hat on, could be an exciting prospect, i bit of the unknown...all blacks cap on, i really like posting that meme about no Australian has even been able to post on social media about winning the Bledisloe
Are there any Australians that remember what it is?

Keeping it in-house. It's a good thing. But he needs very strong assistants, in my view, because i think he is a bit light for the job. But who knows ? I've been wrong before.

An Assistant who was promoted to the big job, but didn't work out. So the question will Foster turn out to be a dud like Robinson or carry on the good work of Hansen?

E7073C05-580E-4145-9C99-08B808B894FB.jpeg

Foster like Hansen owns the locker room. Having the players belief and trust is worth loads.

The whole process of appointing the next ABs coach turned out to be a foregone conclusion.

I would have certainly understood the reasoning behind this decision (i.e. the continuity factor) should the ABs had won the RWC 2019, but their game and overall display, bar a couple of games scattered here and there, have been average at best since at least 2017.

This was an immense opportunity to freshen the things up, moreover considering all the retirements and sabbaticals post RWC 2019, but it was missed.

Anyway, I guess that we'll see next year the consequences of today's decision, in one way or the other.

The whole process of appointing the next ABs coach turned out to be a foregone conclusion.

I would have certainly understood the reasoning behind this decision (i.e. the continuity factor) should the ABs had won the RWC 2019, but their game and overall display, bar a couple of games scattered here and there, have been average at best since at least 2017.

This was an immense opportunity to freshen the things up, moreover considering all the retirements and sabbaticals post RWC 2019, but it was missed.

Anyway, I guess that we'll see next year the consequences of today's decision, in one way or the other.

wow really? ABs still had an 80% winning record under hansen.
u cant win everything and winning a WC is really hard.

That's not necessarily the coaching as an issue. I mean one of the games they got a red card rather early on, and was on the back foot since then. That's not the coach's fault for that loss. Plus the game against South Africa that they lost could've gone either way up to the very last minute, plus the bounce of the ball literally caused a try for the Springboks.

The All Blacks was number 1 during almost the whole tenure under Hansen, I don't think any other nation can say they were that long the number 1 ranked team in the world. Plus, how many coaches has an 80% win record on international level???

I think their biggest problem was the aging issue of some of their players and injuries to others.

I think their biggest problem was the aging issue of some of their players and injuries to others.
Imo we lost because we left franks at home. Best tight head in nz would've stopped the English and boks owning us in the scrums. That was where we got bosses around

So Fozzy gets the gig eh, could understand the continuity if they'd won the recent World Cup but I suppose it served them well after 2007.

From what I've read within the New Zealand media etc, there wasn't a large percentage of people wanting him to get it but 'If' it were all to go wrong they have a few people who could quickly step in like Gats and Robertson... so I'm sure no one is really that concerned.

That's not necessarily the coaching as an issue. I mean one of the games they got a red card rather early on, and was on the back foot since then. That's not the coach's fault for that loss. Plus the game against South Africa that they lost could've gone either way up to the very last minute, plus the bounce of the ball literally caused a try for the Springboks.

The All Blacks was number 1 during almost the whole tenure under Hansen, I don't think any other nation can say they were that long the number 1 ranked team in the world. Plus, how many coaches has an 80% win record on international level???

I tend to disagree a bit, although there is a certain amount of truth in your view on the matter. In my opinion, as an "armchair" observer :), Hansen made some crucial errors in the last WC cycle, all of them combined leading to the semifinal defeat against England, which I dare summarize bellow:

- investing for two years in players that have either been on the aging side (i.e. Izzy Dagg), injury-prone (i.e. Milner Skkuder) or on the verge of departure (i.e. Sopoaga), instead of developing or introducing sooner in the AB environment players like Naholo, Mo'Unga, etc.;
- constantly playing people out of position (i.e. Ben Smith, the most glaring example of them all) or persisting as starters with players clearly more suited for a super sub bench role (i.e. DMac);
- not settling on a replacement for Kaino at 6 or developing a potential 8 that could fill Read's lack of form;
- not settling on a firm midfield combination;
- not finding the key to unlocking the rush defense (as offside this system usually goes), although the ABs were exposed to it for two years straight prior to the RWC;
- playing some people on past merits, not on the current form.

Of course, Hansen was a small genius of the game, but it does not mean he's above criticism. In my view, during the last WC cycle, the ABs only had two really outstanding games, both against your Sprinboks (i.e. away in 2016 and at home in 2017).

I tend to disagree a bit, although there is a certain amount of truth in your view on the matter. In my opinion, as an "armchair" observer :), Hansen made some crucial errors in the last WC cycle, all of them combined leading to the semifinal defeat against England, which I dare summarize bellow:

- investing for two years in players that have either been on the aging side (i.e. Izzy Dagg), injury-prone (i.e. Milner Skkuder) or on the verge of departure (i.e. Sopoaga), instead of developing or introducing sooner in the AB environment players like Naholo, Mo'Unga, etc.;
- constantly playing people out of position (i.e. Ben Smith, the most glaring example of them all) or persisting as starters with players clearly more suited for a super sub bench role (i.e. DMac);
- not settling on a replacement for Kaino at 6 or developing a potential 8 that could fill Read's lack of form;
- not settling on a firm midfield combination;
- not finding the key to unlocking the rush defense (as offside this system usually goes), although the ABs were exposed to it for two years straight prior to the RWC;
- playing some people on past merits, not on the current form.

Of course, Hansen was a small genius of the game, but it does not mean he's above criticism. In my view, during the last WC cycle, the ABs only had two really outstanding games, both against your Sprinboks (i.e. away in 2016 and at home in 2017).
This ^^^^

Latest posts