• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Next Generation Gaming

Seems to be getting good reviews. Sadly not PS5 owner Yet.
Haven't booted it up yes (bloody work) but I've been really digging Hades and Control and this looks like a mix of the two so decided to give it a go. Plus this like the first proper PS5 exclusive game.

I also enjoy roguelikes for the gameplay loop of, "I'm just going to do one run" and actually being able to stick to it.

Haven't booted it up yes (bloody work) but I've been really digging Hades and Control and this looks like a mix of the two so decided to give it a go. Plus this like the first proper PS5 exclusive game.

I also enjoy roguelikes for the gameplay loop of, "I'm just going to do one run" and actually being able to stick to it.
Enjoy.

Been checking stock of PS5 on Amazon and Game, but both still out of stock, not surprisingly. Not in any rush to get one yet until more exclusives for PS5 start rolling out, plus want to get a new big 55 inch 4K HDR OLED tv to play it on, so saving up for that as well.

Also waiting to see what Naughty Dog have up their sleeve After UC and TLOU series.

Man, I still really want a Switch
Just nintendos pricing puts me off massively - games don't get cheaper as they get older like every other console: launch ***les are still almost £50

I'd want to get a bunch of party games, but I'm not dropping close to £200 on smash+mario kart+mario party+mario maker or whatever

Just nintendos pricing puts me off massively - games don't get cheaper as they get older like every other console: launch ***les are still almost £50

I'd want to get a bunch of party games, but I'm not dropping close to £200 on smash+mario kart+mario party+mario maker or whatever

Yeh the prices in CEX are still around the £40 mark for second hand Switch games unless you're into playing those games quickly and offsetting the cost via trading them in.

I've always had Nintendo consoles. The only other brand was PS2 back in the day.

First party Nintendo games rarely drop in price, which I've always been confused about.

But then can there really be a price put on the ability to play The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on the toilet?

Donald Trump Head Shake GIF by Election 2016

There's a PS5 in the CEX near me going for £780

Insane - I wonder how much they paid for it/why someone sold it to them instead of flipping it on eBay?

Edit:
Turns out Google is my friend: They buy them for £650, so an easy £200 for walking the 100 metres from buying it at Game to selling it to CEX

Yep, same price at my local CEX. Slightly down from the Xmas price gouge of £815. But not by much.

Sony are reportedly making losses on each unit anyway at the moment.

I think until we find a way to drastically reduce latency, cloud gaming will be limited to slower paced games. Anything requiring quick response times just doesn't work well at the moment and will stay that way until latency issues are resolved.

I think until we find a way to drastically reduce latency, cloud gaming will be limited to slower paced games. Anything requiring quick response times just doesn't work well at the moment and will stay that way until latency issues are resolved.

That'll depend on your broadband speed right? I have a 200Mb download/20Mb upload. But yes, with multiplayer gaming it would be advantageous if playing against someone with say a 10Mb connection.

Still an option for single player games.

Even with amazing internet people still struggle with ps now.

Although that could be more down to PS not really investing in it so much

There's a whole bunch of technical issues more than someone's internet connection

Distance between nodes is a minor one but 'the load' the host computer is under is core. Not only does it have to take input from multiple users as per a multiplayer game it has to render those images, then it likely has to compress them to send back to the user in a timely manner.

We built a product at work that was about sending HD video from a drone over satellite networks (we now have the lightest product currently on the market) the technical part of doing the satcom was pretty easy (because its what we do) but the video compression became a main issue as we had a place a process on there that could do the compression and streaming and not create huge amounts of latency on its end as the satellite network already introduces tons.

On demand services such as Netflix has less issues as all its doing is distributing a file to you, all the rendering has already been done even then your buffering whilst streaming for a significant amount of time that would make playing anything that requires real time input almost unplayable.

Its not completely undoable as evidenced but its a pretty big technical challenge but I think its main issue is need a lot of adopters to be able to justify the cost of server farms that can actually cope with peak usage times.

Even with amazing internet people still struggle with ps now.
I don't know what it's like these days but I used the free trial a year or two ago and it was tteerriibbllee
It's not even buffering or anything, it straight up slows down the game - hearing the music slow down as if someone was messing with the RPM on a vinyl was very disconcerting, felt like a fever dream - and that was just playing old PS3 games, I dread to think what it'd be like playing PS4(/PS5) games

I believe they've got the option to download games, not just stream, now though - which is a much better idea

That'll depend on your broadband speed right? I have a 200Mb download/20Mb upload. But yes, with multiplayer gaming it would be advantageous if playing against someone with say a 10Mb connection.

Still an option for single player games.
Broadband speed is a slight misnomer, there is a transfer rate and latency. You can have a broadband that can transfer vast amounts of information but if that information needs to be transmitted to the other side of the world and back, there will be a limit to how fast it is physically possible to do all that. Cloud gaming tends to run on lower graphics settings and resolutions to reduce the sheer quantity of information that needs to be transmitted but the bottle neck on things like real time multiplayer games is how long it takes to send the information from the user to the server and then back again. 20MB/s and 200MB/s will make no difference if the amount of information transmitted doesn't pass 20 but a latency of 10ms vs 100ms will be very noticeable.

Broadband speed is a slight misnomer, there is a transfer rate and latency. You can have a broadband that can transfer vast amounts of information but if that information needs to be transmitted to the other side of the world and back, there will be a limit to how fast it is physically possible to do all that. Cloud gaming tends to run on lower graphics settings and resolutions to reduce the sheer quantity of information that needs to be transmitted but the bottle neck on things like real time multiplayer games is how long it takes to send the information from the user to the server and then back again. 20MB/s and 200MB/s will make no difference if the amount of information transmitted doesn't pass 20 but a latency of 10ms vs 100ms will be very noticeable.
So download the game it is then.

Latest posts