• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

What does that mean?
That he only looks good in the Rams side and wouldn't fair well anywhere else?

I've not heard it used before

Essentially yeah. It's thrown around a lot at the college level. People like to use it to give credit to the coaches rather than the quarterback.

The rams had terrible coach before McKay. Last years super bowl mvp nick foles played for the rams under that head coach and was absolutely terrible.

What does that mean?
That he only looks good in the Rams side and wouldn't fair well anywhere else?

I've not heard it used before

Yeah pretty much, it's kind of aided by the fact that coaches can talk to the qb up to 15 seconds before the snap. Goff also improved dramatically under McVay. It's pretty stupid because of course players do better in a system that fits their strength. If you put Brady in a system that relies on seven step drops and deep passes he wouldn't be as good as he is in the Patriots system even if he would still be very good.

Got into the NFL properly for the first time ever this year and decided at tge start of the season to support the Rams pretty much at random without any prior knowledge about the teams (except that the Patriots always win).

Despite having stayed up for the Superbowl before I probably won't last the night this time. The first half is probably as far as I'll go but a Rams win go a nice way to start making up for the pain England inflicted on me yesterday.:(:(:(

Need to decide if I go Gamepass or BBC.

Bell and Osi have great chemistry so learning to them on the BBC.

But Gamepass has the commercials

The Superbowl has got to be the only sporting event where people seem as interested in the ads as they are in the actual sport.

The Patriots have based their offence this playoffs around controlling time of possession so a heavy focus on the run game and short passing. They don't have a huge amount of big name players as Belichick hates overpaying for players and Brady (aided by a strong offensive line) lets them get away with less superstars on offence and scheme does the same on defence. Michel will probably get most of the carries, White will be a threat coming out of the backfield for passes. Edelman will probably be Brady's favourite target and Gronkowski is an all time great at his position but wear and tear is catching up with him. On defence Flowers, Hightower and Gilmore are probably their most important players but some no name will probably make plays as well.

The Rams have been an offensive juggernaut with (just turned) 33 year old head coach Sean McVay leading the way, which has lead to claims that 3rd year quarterback Goff is a 'system' quarterback but nevertheless he's played very well. Gurley at running back has been the star player in the regular season being a powerful runner and a receiving weapon but played a very limited role in the last round despite apparently being fit. They have loads of receiving weapons with Woods and Cooks being the stars. On defence Donald is their star player and possibly the best player at any position in the league. He's an absolute gamewrecker but the Patriots are great at neutralising star pass rushers. He's partnered in the middle of the defensive line by Suh a big name player who came in as a free agent signing this year. Had a poor by his standards regular season but has turned it on in the playoffs. Other big name acquisitions are at the cornerback position with Peters (who hasn't been great) and Talib having the ability to lock down receivers and create turnovers.

There's loads of great matchups all over whether on the field or in the coaching box but I feel there's a bit of Patriots fatigue set in so it's not as hyped as it normally would be. The last two Superbowls were classics so there's a lot to live up to as well.
Thanks for the detailed response, I'm going to save this comment to refer back to during the night.

Gonna shout for the Rams. If in doubt, underdog.

Going gamepass in the hopes the tide ads legacy can be lived up to.

Lads atmosphere here is unreal. I have my Rams gear on but wouldn't begrudge Pats.
But as a sporting weekend this is unreal.
Also saw Harry Kane. Never knew he's a Pats fan

Two Eddie Butler voiceover introductions in a weekend, why do I put myself through this?

Lads Edelman is literally a midget. Can't get over how small he is but standing out as the best offensive player here.
Rams D is really impressive but they're out there too long

Touchdown Patriots.

Looked a lot like "Counter Gap" to me!

I hope Edelmen gets MVP (but he won't, Brady will)

Edelman did get MVP -10 catches for 140 something yards - well deserved.

Latest posts