• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NFL Thread

Is Momentum Real? - This article could apply to all team sports, so I figured this thread would be as good as any to post it in.

Despite what players say, I don't believe in momentum within a single NFL game. Maybe over the course of a season. I believe in improving tactics, a slice of luck and increasing morale creating the illusion of momentum. The sport is far too dependent on factors like tipped balls, blown coverages etc that can swing 'momentum wildly'. I think it's more that one coaching team starts to get the upper hand tactically and the players feed off of it. In the current NFL with parity there is almost no momentum. If you don't bring your top level and the opponent does, nothing is going to save you (just ask the Cardinals, Bucs and Patriots in this past crazy week).

I do remember one particular game that screamed momentum. About 20 years ago, Giants @ 49ers in the playoffs. Giants storm out to like a 4TD lead and are about to make it 5TDs when Shockey drops an incredibly simple catch in the endzone. 4TDs up against a not particularly exceptional 49ers and I immediately felt that things were going to go very very wrong, and you could see it in both sets of players that something unusual had happened. We ended up barely scoring another point and getting kicked out the playoffs. But that game to me was the exception that proves the rule. Probably the Falcons Superbowl loss to the Patriots was similar, you can sometimes see a choke coming from a mile off.

In Giants Superbowl years you get guys like Osi talking about momentum across the season. But then he also explains that the Giants defensive coordinator Spagnola (currently at Chiefs) would openly admit that his defensive scheming will get stronger as the season goes on as he gets more film to examine on opponents and can counteract their offensive tendencies. So that might feel like momentum to players like Osi, but he is also clearly aware it isn't some kind of mystical force leading the Giants to victory, its big brains learning how to break down other big brains.

Now momentum in rugby I can beleive in a little more. Because once you get on top on a game of rugby it is easier to stay on top and suffocate your opponent, crushing their morale (watch any Italy game!). Whereas in the NFL too much is down to a slice of good fortune.

John Madden has died, he was 85. :( May he rest in peace. Blessings to his family. Madden truly was a legend in his own time.

Last edited:
Some exciting games tonight. Hoping the Cowboys can put a real marker down for the play offs by seeing off Arizona tonight.

I want us (Saints) to win our last two games but I also want some better picks in the draft. We need a proper QB for a start, Hill and Winston aren't good enough and Sieman and Bortles are poor backups

With the Packers win over the Vikings tonight they've clinched the #1 seed and home field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs. Go Pack Go!

Last edited:
Loads of great games again this weekend. I particularly enjoyed Hilton's crazy catch and an Eagles receiver wrestling with the kickers net and some kind of massage bed / medical trolley after running out of bounds.

Do the Saints sneak in if the Eagles and 49ers lose (both with very tough games)?

So barring the mother of all upsets agains the Lions, the Packers have home field all sewn up. I've misgivings about how strong the Packers truly are (with a record aided by a very weak division) but tell me what other NFC playoff team is going to go into a cold weather game at Green Bay and come out with a win? Maybe the 49ers, maybe Dallas with their run game? Not the Rams or Cardinals and probably not the Bucs without Fournette.

The AFC is now the much more unpredictable one for me, especially if KC miss out on the number 1 seed. I can see wildcard teams winning on the road there, possibly even a sweep of road wins by the WCs depending on the matchups.

Last edited:
Great weekend.

My Giants seem to be getting worst but hopefully Russell Wilson fixes that. But after the Special Teams mess yesterday Joe J I think needs to go as HC.

A new fresh approach.

AB is definitely done too but mentally hope he can get life back.

Loads of great games again this weekend. I particularly enjoyed Hilton's crazy catch and an Eagles receiver wrestling with the kickers net and some kind of massage bed / medical trolley after running out of bounds.

Do the Saints sneak in if the Eagles and 49ers lose (both with very tough games)?

So barring the mother of all upsets agains the Lions, the Packers have home field all sewn up. I've misgivings about how strong the Packers truly are (with a record aided by a very weak division) but tell me what other NFC playoff team is going to go into a cold weather game at Green Bay and come out with a win? Maybe the 49ers, maybe Dallas with their run game? Not the Rams or Cardinals and probably not the Bucs without Fournette.

The AFC is now the much more unpredictable one for me, especially if KC miss out on the number 1 seed. I can see wildcard teams winning on the road there, possibly even a sweep of road wins by the WCs depending on the matchups.
In theory Saints make playoffs if we beat Falcons and other results go our way

In theory Saints make playoffs if we beat Falcons and other results go our way
If Sean Payton can pull that off having used 4 (ordinary at best) QBs that would be one of the biggest head coaching achievements I've ever seen. Even just beating teams that have their 1st choice QB I'd pretty impressive, never mind reaching playoffs with a winning record in a solid division.

Great weekend.

My Giants seem to be getting worst but hopefully Russell Wilson fixes that. But after the Special Teams mess yesterday Joe J I think needs to go as HC.

A new fresh approach.

AB is definitely done too but mentally hope he can get life back.
I'd agree Judge has had long enough to show zero improvement (same with Jones). I've always been a big fan of Wilson but he is 33 and increasingly immobile. I'm not sure he'd have the ability to dance out of the pass rush and he tends to need a little time for a play to develop. Plus he would probably cost a fair bit, which may be more suited to a half decent team picking him up rather than a side that seems to need a root and branch overhaul like the Giants. Taking an ageing QB on a clear downward trajectory is not the combination that dreams are made of! If Deshaun Watson pays off complainers (an admission of guilt if ever there was one) I don't want him anywhere near us either.

An offensive minded head coach and a solidish game manager QB like a Wentz or Ryan would likely be my preferred combination if they can be acquired cheaply (I don't know if any are even available). A combination to steady the ship while the next two drafts are spent rebuilding and finding an understudy QB. Not very ambitious I know.

The GM has been around for 4 years and shown little outside of the defensive side of the ball. I think questions must be asked there also as other sides have had worse injury luck than us in recent years and not stank quite so heavily. Hanging on to consistently failing senior staff doesn't make you a solid, dependable organisation. It makes you a mug if are no signs of improvement and I'll be damned if I can see any. Garrett cannot be the sacrificial lamb.

If Sean Payton can pull that off having used 4 (ordinary at best) QBs that would be one of the biggest head coaching achievements I've ever seen. Even just beating teams that have their 1st choice QB I'd pretty impressive, never mind reaching playoffs with a winning record in a solid division.
Our defence the past few weeks has been great but the offence is limping along. In Payton we trust

I'd agree Judge has had long enough to show zero improvement (same with Jones). I've always been a big fan of Wilson but he is 33 and increasingly immobile. I'm not sure he'd have the ability to dance out of the pass rush and he tends to need a little time for a play to develop. Plus he would probably cost a fair bit, which may be more suited to a half decent team picking him up rather than a side that seems to need a root and branch overhaul like the Giants. Taking an ageing QB on a clear downward trajectory is not the combination that dreams are made of! If Deshaun Watson pays off complainers (an admission of guilt if ever there was one) I don't want him anywhere near us either.

An offensive minded head coach and a solidish game manager QB like a Wentz or Ryan would likely be my preferred combination if they can be acquired cheaply (I don't know if any are even available). A combination to steady the ship while the next two drafts are spent rebuilding and finding an understudy QB. Not very ambitious I know.

The GM has been around for 4 years and shown little outside of the defensive side of the ball. I think questions must be asked there also as other sides have had worse injury luck than us in recent years and not stank quite so heavily. Hanging on to consistently failing senior staff doesn't make you a solid, dependable organisation. It makes you a mug if are no signs of improvement and I'll be damned if I can see any. Garrett cannot be the sacrificial lamb.
100% agree Wilson is not my preferred choice but seems to be the route they looking at.
Jones I'm not too hard on guy as I think he is a good QB (not an elite or even definite QB1 but NFL standard for sure)

Also agree regards front office but well that in itself is a whole new topic.
Recruitment and even forward planning has been awful.

Green Bay Packers Football GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

Well we did all we could but the Rams let us down. At least we finished with a winning season and can now chill and recover

Well we did all we could but the Rams let us down. At least we finished with a winning season and can now chill and recover
Yes, it can be a bummer when you have to rely on other teams to make the cut. Especially those wavering Rams.

Last edited:
What a wide open season the expansion of playoffs made it a better ending to in entertainment terms. Can see a low seed win this years top prize

That could have been the best single day of NFL in its history, both conferences going down to the wire with last minute results and that crazy Steelers playoff run that kicked off by the mother of all chokes by Wentz. Hats off to the Raiders for throwing the ball in that last drive (and risking an interception that could have eliminated them). I'd have been running the ball and whispering to the Chargers that if they let us run the clock out for the last 5 mins, we both qualify.

But more important than all that, I somehow missed while watching the 'highlights' of the Giants versus the equally hapless 5-10 Bears last week, that the Giants managed to conjure up minus 6 yards (not a typo) total pass offence in the entire game. Who says rugby is the only sport where you only throw the ball backwards!?

Back on track this week with a stellar 83 yards passing yards. Never mind sack the coach, we should be going biblical and killing the first born son of every player, coach and front office staff involved in this, demolishing the stadium and relocating to Outer Mongolia where the new fanbase will hopefully never have heard about such humiliating statistics and can't read the taunts on the internet. And we don't even get top pick in the draft! :p

That could have been the best single day of NFL in its history, both conferences going down to the wire with last minute results and that crazy Steelers playoff run that kicked off by the mother of all chokes by Wentz. Hats off to the Raiders for throwing the ball in that last drive (and risking an interception that could have eliminated them). I'd have been running the ball and whispering to the Chargers that if they let us run the clock out for the last 5 mins, we both qualify.

But more important than all that, I somehow missed while watching the 'highlights' of the Giants versus the equally hapless 5-10 Bears last week, that the Giants managed to conjure up minus 6 yards (not a typo) total pass offence in the entire game. Who says rugby is the only sport where you only throw the ball backwards!?

Back on track this week with a stellar 83 yards passing yards. Never mind sack the coach, we should be going biblical and killing the first born son of every player, coach and front office staff involved in this, demolishing the stadium and relocating to Outer Mongolia where the new fanbase will hopefully never have heard about such humiliating statistics and can't read the taunts on the internet. And we don't even get top pick in the draft! :p
The Giant unfortunately are stuck in reverse and yesterday summed it up. In the past 5 years we have never been above .500 at any stage of any season like not once.

And as you say we don't even get #1 pick in draft although I am not overly upset as draft seems strange this year with no clear standout guy.

Most importantly the Lions beat the Packers and have the GOAT HC obviously.

Latest posts