• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NHL Thread

I am ****** Boston lost as I was gunning for them. They are going to be hurting next year as they are going to lose a bunch of good players due to the salary cap being reduced from 70 Million to 64 Million. I am a Montreal Canadiens fan at heart so hopefully we make some big moves in the off-season and sign a big physical center *cough* Vinny Lecavalier *cough*

We should find out end of this week if NHL players will participate in the Sochi Olympics and I am sure they will.

I am ****** Boston lost as I was gunning for them. They are going to be hurting next year as they are going to lose a bunch of good players due to the salary cap being reduced from 70 Million to 64 Million. I am a Montreal Canadiens fan at heart so hopefully we make some big moves in the off-season and sign a big physical center *cough* Vinny Lecavalier *cough*

We should find out end of this week if NHL players will participate in the Sochi Olympics and I am sure they will.

Yeah, I think Lucic or Seguin said after the Toronto series he was relieved they won as it was the last chance with most of these guys.

Mixed feelings about seeing VL4 leave, man has been a big player for Tampa but he's not been as productive, hes not the main man now, the future needs to build around Stamkos and he's on over 7 million I think, hell of a lot for a 2nd line C

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W9M_FYFyo0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like this joke song about, as they say a dumbass rule.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/W9M_FYFyo0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like this joke song about, as they say a dumbass rule.

Yeah the puck over the glass rule needs to change...I wouldn't mind a penalty if it was clearly to earn a whistle or delay the game but these totally incidental calls are annoying. NHL likes it though because the Power Plays artifically increase scoring...rather than taking on the goalie fraternity and stopping them from looking like Michelin men between the posts.

Edit: Leafs getting rid of Grabovski is awful...hate that move.

Yeah the puck over the glass rule needs to change...I wouldn't mind a penalty if it was clearly to earn a whistle or delay the game but these totally incidental calls are annoying. NHL likes it though because the Power Plays artifically increase scoring...rather than taking on the goalie fraternity and stopping them from looking like Michelin men between the posts.

Edit: Leafs getting rid of Grabovski is awful...hate that move.

I think its was Rangers/Capitals game that the game winner came seconds after a dodgy call. If its blatent then yeah, a penalty if fair but for an error, a fluke or a misjudgment its harsh.

I heard Grabovski made a few stong comments at the Leafs Management after his treatment after lockout, dunno if its true or not.

I think its was Rangers/Capitals game that the game winner came seconds after a dodgy call. If its blatent then yeah, a penalty if fair but for an error, a fluke or a misjudgment its harsh.

I heard Grabovski made a few stong comments at the Leafs Management after his treatment after lockout, dunno if its true or not.

Yeah he was less than pleased LOL, I think he unleashed some vitriol on his twitter account at Randy Carlyle, pretty funny stuff.

First the NFL, and now the NHL...

Will Concussion Lawsuit Pressure NHL to Curb Fighting and Body Checking?
BY JONATHAN WILLIS (NHL NATIONAL COLUMNIST) ON NOVEMBER 25, 2013

On Monday, a class-action lawsuit naming 10 former players, including former Toronto Maple Leafs captain Rick Vaive, as plaintiffs was filed against the NHL. The suit, unsurprisingly, claims that the NHL has committed a wide range of sins but repeatedly and specifically targets three parts of the professional game: designated enforcers, fighting and even body checking.

The lawsuitâ€"the text of which is available at the website of lawyer and ex-NFL linebacker Mel Owensâ€"outlines what it claims is a pattern of the NHL “causing or contributing to the injuries and increased risks†to its players in its introduction. It further argues that current rules allowing fighting and body checking are part of that pattern.

The last two paragraphs of the introduction make it clear that the players involved want to see a dramatic overhaul of the game:

17. The NHL persists in this conduct to date by, among other things, refusing to ban fighting and body checking and by continuing to employ hockey players whose main function is to fight or violently body check players on the other team (“Enforcersâ€).
18. The time has come for the NHL to elevate long-term player safety over profit and tradition.

Enforcers and fighting are unsurprising targets of the lawsuit. Both have been increasingly debated by high-powered hockey executives in recent years.

TSN’s Darren Dreger caused a stir at the start of the year when he reported that Tampa Bay Lightning general manager Steve Yzerman was in favour of radical rule changes to help eliminate fighting, and that he was supported by GMs like the Carolina Hurricanes' Jim Rutherford and Ray Shero of the Pittsburgh Penguins.

The NHL adjusted its rules this summer, making visors mandatory and penalizing the removal of helmets to fight. Both of these changes carried heavier consequences for fighters. Additionally, Dreger reported in October that the league wanted its linesmen to be as proactive as possible in stopping fights when players took off their helmets.

The lawsuit further quotes NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly as saying that he expects “[r]ulechanges that impact and reduce the role of fighting in the game†to continue to be made over time.

In short: The role of fighting in hockey is very much a subject of debate, not just for fans, but also at the highest levels of power in the league.

Body checking, however, has been decidedly less controversial, likely because it’s a far more integral part of professional hockey than fighting. While fighting can be dismissed as a sideshow all but unrelated to the course of play, body checking is used to separate an attacking player from the puck, allowing for a change in possession.

Why does the lawsuit target body checking? To start with, because most concussions are the result of legal checks. The lawsuit cites a 2013 University of Toronto study that found 64.2 percent of concussions in the years covered were suffered on plays that were not penalized.

That’s a problem, and it both includes and transcends this specific legal action.

As more information becomes available on the long-term effects of both concussion and sub-concussive impacts (a term used 52 times in the lawsuit) and more stories of the suffering of retired players emerge, the pressure on the league will only grow.

It only seems logical to assume that the pressure will ultimately shape the NHL rulebook in ways that nobody can fully predict at this point. Those ways may well include the elimination of fighting and more rigid policing of what are now routine body checks.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial&hpt=hp_t3

das

As a recent Pens convert, Crosby's OT score last night was pretty sweet.

BIg fan of both the Dallas Stars & the Detriot Redwings in the NHL.
Would love a trip to detriot to the Joe to see the Redwings

Do any TRF'ers have any experience of spectating at an NHL Game????

Yeah I lived in Calgary for a while so went to Flames games and well started supporting them. Been to Saddledome a lot but it's been tough past few years as Flames fan

I've been to games in Buffalo and Toronto, both at their old arena's and their new ones. But I haven't been in a while, I've seemed to have lucked out as I've seen some pretty cool stuff happen at the few games I've been to, one Buffalo game Alexander Mogilny had a natural hat trick vs. the Islanders. The only game I went to at the new Toronto arena Yanick Perrault of all players became the first leaf in a decade or so to score four goals in a game, and another game I went to at Maple Leaf gardens the Leafs utterly destroyed the Hawks.

The old arena's had more atmosphere and more core fans, though the newer ones are obviously much better facilities. Seeing a game in Toronto is difficult just de to the high demand for tickets and they are in a price range that is nowhere even close to what I'm willing to buy. Haven't been over to Buffalo for a while now either, I used to be able to get over their with just my drivers license but now you have to have a passport and I haven't bothered renewing mine. I'm not as much a fan of Hockey as when I was ten years ago either so it's not very high on my priority list.

OHL games can be pretty fun, the arena's are small, tickets are cheap and it's an intimate atmosphere, on the opposite spectrum are AHL games which are pretty dire, the arena's look half empty most of the time and TV coverage is very limited, I've been to some Hamilton Bulldogs games but it's not that great.

Any of the UK based members follow the elite league in the uk????

If so, which team???

I'll start--- I am a Dundee Stars fan

Saw Pens-Caps at the Consol last season, and going to Pens-Bruins in Boston this coming Saturday (I think).

Don't really follow the UK league though, although I suppose I should.

I've been to games in Buffalo and Toronto, both at their old arena's and their new ones. But I haven't been in a while, I've seemed to have lucked out as I've seen some pretty cool stuff happen at the few games I've been to, one Buffalo game Alexander Mogilny had a natural hat trick vs. the Islanders. The only game I went to at the new Toronto arena Yanick Perrault of all players became the first leaf in a decade or so to score four goals in a game, and another game I went to at Maple Leaf gardens the Leafs utterly destroyed the Hawks.

The old arena's had more atmosphere and more core fans, though the newer ones are obviously much better facilities. Seeing a game in Toronto is difficult just de to the high demand for tickets and they are in a price range that is nowhere even close to what I'm willing to buy. Haven't been over to Buffalo for a while now either, I used to be able to get over their with just my drivers license but now you have to have a passport and I haven't bothered renewing mine. I'm not as much a fan of Hockey as when I was ten years ago either so it's not very high on my priority list.

OHL games can be pretty fun, the arena's are small, tickets are cheap and it's an intimate atmosphere, on the opposite spectrum are AHL games which are pretty dire, the arena's look half empty most of the time and TV coverage is very limited, I've been to some Hamilton Bulldogs games but it's not that great.

Yeah lower league games are more fun. Went to few Hitmen games in Calgary and entertainment was much better. Add in price difference is massive too for attending games. But do you follow CFL much LittleGuy?

Yeah lower league games are more fun. Went to few Hitmen games in Calgary and entertainment was much better. Add in price difference is massive too for attending games. But do you follow CFL much LittleGuy?

Yeah I'm pretty passionate about gridiron in general, just as much a fan of it as I am rugby.

Yeah I'm pretty passionate about gridiron in general, just as much a fan of it as I am rugby.

Yea I'm the same used to love going to Stamps games and was lucky enough to meet Cornish few times. I loved CFL games there especially against Roughriders with their Watermelon heads ha. Who do you fancy to win Grey Cup?

Yea I'm the same used to love going to Stamps games and was lucky enough to meet Cornish few times. I loved CFL games there especially against Roughriders with their Watermelon heads ha. Who do you fancy to win Grey Cup?

Probably the Stamps, though the winner of Hamilton/Montreal will be a tougher opponent than what it looked like about three months ago. Both semi finals this week should be fantastic.

I really enjoy attending the CFL as well it's very similar to a rugby type crowd, passionate with some drinking but not excessive bordering on idiocy like some NFL crowds get.

Probably the Stamps, though the winner of Hamilton/Montreal will be a tougher opponent than what it looked like about three months ago. Both semi finals this week should be fantastic.

I really enjoy attending the CFL as well it's very similar to a rugby type crowd, passionate with some drinking but not excessive bordering on idiocy like some NFL crowds get.

Fully agree. Yeah I've like Montreal the last few weeks and really when it gets to this stage Stamps go in to shell a bit. It should be 3 great games though (this weekend and next).

Take that Bruins!

That overtime goal was worth everything my girlfriend spent on the tickets... shame she was in the toilet and missed it.

Take that Bruins!

That overtime goal was worth everything my girlfriend spent on the tickets... shame she was in the toilet and missed it.

Just caught the highlights. You got a good game it seems. Enjoy the trip.

Latest posts