• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Not scoring when close to the try line

sportstrader67

Academy Player
Country Flag
Great Britain
Hi all. First post as a new member on here and have been prompted to make it in response to something I see happening time and again.

It seems to me that the home nations teams are frequently in possession just a few metres from the opponents' try line, but fail to score. The forwards try to bludgeon their way over but regularly fail to break through. I saw that this afternoon in the Ireland v Wales game, but during the Six Nations' I seem to see it week in, week out.

Do tell me if I have this wrong, but when New Zealand get that close they score a lot more often than the home nations. My reading off this is that instead of trying to force their way over in the middle of the park they spin the ball wide to exploit any overlaps (as Jonathan Davies keeps' yelling at the home nations to do). Not only that but they often have Kieran Reid or a second row forward out wide waiting for the ball and when it gets to them they seem unstoppable.

Why do the home nations not try this instead of succumbing to "white line fever"? If you don't take your chances then you don't win, and with the World Cup not too far away the home nations need to come away with points when they get into such positions.

Latest posts