• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[November Tests 2016 EOYT] England vs. Australia (3/12/2016)

I too am oddly confident about this game, even with all the injuries and red cards. Can't really qualify why though. Certainly EJ has instilled a new sense of purpose in every England player he has come into contact with, but I'll say it again, we have lacked intensity in all the AIs. I watched the last both the Ireland AB games and compared with both teams englands defence looks like its standing still. We new to get that white line right up up in their faces early and starve them of any room to run with ball in hand which is what they love to do. On the up side both Faz and JJs defence has been pretty good and May has also looked strong, and these are the channels that have caused concern in the past.

We have home advantage and momentum, and who doesn't want to see the Aussies get stuffed again the NH and sent home with their tails firmly between their legs. England by 10.

I too am oddly confident about this game, even with all the injuries and red cards. Can't really qualify why though. Certainly EJ has instilled a new sense of purpose in every England player he has come into contact with, but I'll say it again, we have lacked intensity in all the AIs. I watched the last both the Ireland AB games and compared with both teams englands defence looks like its standing still. We new to get that white line right up up in their faces early and starve them of any room to run with ball in hand which is what they love to do. On the up side both Faz and JJs defence has been pretty good and May has also looked strong, and these are the channels that have caused concern in the past.

We have home advantage and momentum, and who doesn't want to see the Aussies get stuffed again the NH and sent home with their tails firmly between their legs. England by 10.

Before we went down to 14 there were signs that the line speed was better I thought. That was only the first 5 minutes, but maybe promising for this week - who knows, maybe with 15 all game we'd have been brilliant all game?!

I'm gonna have a few quid on the Aussies if Cheika gets his selection right for this. 3/1 is too big.

I'm gonna have a few quid on the Aussies if Cheika gets his selection right for this. 3/1 is too big.

Interesting to see the difference of opinion here. I'm with you corny. With a gun to my head and evens on both sides, I'd back England every day of the week, but 3/1 looks a bit long to me as does the corresponding handicap. Saying that, I'm usually a bit of a pessimist when it comes to teams I follow! I'm not rolled for too much value betting, so I'll probably have a nibble on the handicap. The overs on points looks interesting and demands a bit more thought.

Twickenham is always good for 10 points to the homeside, hard to see the Wallabies winning this one even with the English putting the dirt round and risking disciplinary issues...
Another factor is that Eddie Mojo Jojo seems to have the curse over Michael Cheika and that counts for points in the bank too.
This week Cheika has returned to the attack and is pointing the finger at the cheating of Dan Cole again.
Two Aussies going at it in the media is always funny but Cheika pointing at Coles yellow for repeated cheating isn't carrying enough weight to usurp Mojo Jojo who has the upper hand in the media and that could be worth points in the bank.

The Aussie back line could be more effective at Twickers than it was at home but I don't see any game winning changes in the pack and thats where it's going to count.
Arnold is an improvement at lock where he brings size and aggression but thats it.
If Aussie infringe in their own half then Farrell will make them pay and then they will be chasing the game and thats never easy against England playing to their strengths with a 10 man rugby style especially playing with home advantage.

Last edited:
Twickenham is always good for 10 points to the homeside, hard to see the Wallabies winning this one even with the English putting the dirt round and risking disciplinary issues...
Another factor is that Eddie Mojo Jojo seems to have the curse over Michael Cheika and that counts for points in the bank too.
This week Cheika has returned to the attack and is pointing the finger at the cheating of Dan Cole again.
Two Aussies going at it in the media is always funny but Cheika pointing at Coles yellow for repeated cheating isn't carrying enough weight to usurp Mojo Jojo who has the upper hand in the media and that could be worth points in the bank.

The Aussie back line could be more effective at Twickers than it was at home but I don't see any game winning changes in the pack and thats where it's going to count.
Arnold is an improvement at lock where he brings size and aggression but thats it.
If Aussie infringe in their own half then Farrell will make them pay and then they will be chasing the game and thats never easy against England playing to their strengths with a 10 man rugby style especially playing with home advantage.

A New Zealander talking about dirty play, well I never.

Australia haven't got much of a chance, Eddie will have England even more fired up after Cheika's latest childish outbursts in the media.

When Australia are outclassed by an opponent, they resort to being ****ly and forget to play rugby, I think they'll be tired as well. Expecting a comfortable win for England.

34-17

Yarde over Roko is confirmed. Roko cut from the 23 altogether. Reason he's given is that Yarde's work rate is better than Roko

That, and Hughes is at 8.

Last edited:
Yarde over Roko is confirmed. Roko cut from the 23 altogether. Reason he's given is that Yarde's work rate is better than Roko

That, and Hughes is at 8.

As much as I absolutely love Roko and would pick him over Yarde any day of the week, I can see Eddie's point on that. Roko has a tendency to stick out wide and not come infield running support lines. Yarde, to give him credit, was very good at doing that against us on Sunday. Eddie's constantly said that he likes one speed merchant and one work-horse for wingers... it'll be interesting to see if/how he sticks to that mantra once both Nowell and Watson are back, joining May.

I actually think Australia are in with a reasonable shot of winning this one, if the forwards can get some decent turnover ball for the backs, and the backs passes stick, it will be game on

I actually think Australia are in with a reasonable shot of winning this one, if the forwards can get some decent turnover ball for the backs, and the backs passes stick, it will be game on

It'd be great to see an upset, also it'd help make next years RC more competitive if Aussie could find their feet again.

As much as I absolutely love Roko and would pick him over Yarde any day of the week, I can see Eddie's point on that. Roko has a tendency to stick out wide and not come infield running support lines. Yarde, to give him credit, was very good at doing that against us on Sunday. Eddie's constantly said that he likes one speed merchant and one work-horse for wingers... it'll be interesting to see if/how he sticks to that mantra once both Nowell and Watson are back, joining May.

I know what you mean. But style aside, Roko is just better. Even if you want player type X, sure a good player type Y is better than a mediocre player type X?

Anyway, at least we look like we'll not be losing Roko to the England squad in future. Feel for Quins and England fans who might regularly miss out on a good Premiership player for their club in order to have a not-good-enough international player playing for their country!

Just to write up in full!

1. Mako Vunipola
2. Dylan Hartley (C)
3. Dan Cole
4. Courtney Lawes
5. George Kruis
6. Chris Robshaw
7. Tom Wood
8. Nathan Hughes

9. Ben Youngs
10. George Ford
11. Marland Yarde
12. Owen Farrell (VC)
13. Jonathon Joseph
14. Jonny May
15. Mike Brown (VC)

16. Jamie George
17. Joe Marler
18. Kyle Sinckler
19. Charlie Ewels
20. Teimana Harrison
21. Danny Care
22. Ben Te'o
23. Henry Slade

Sounds like Roko and Attwood are being held in camp too - presumably covering ****les for others - meaning that Bath will still be missing them against Sarries, even though they don't play for England (the rest will do them both good, but still...)

Sounds like Roko and Attwood are being held in camp too - presumably covering ****les for others - meaning that Bath will still be missing them against Sarries, even though they don't play for England (the rest will do them both good, but still...)
I'll repeat myself ****

Latest posts