NPC/Mitre 10 Cup restructure?

Kiwiwomble

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Otago
thoughts on the possible restructuring on the NPC/Mitre 10 Cup?

split north and south seems to get a few mentions.

I just dont get it myself, articles spell out it really only saves money for the North Teams as they can use overland travel more, is that worth doing if the South teams not only dont really get any savings.

Keeping in mind teams in the South Island have a much smaller population base to call on, ticket sales, merch etc.

I'm totally against it A north-south divisional split It could lead to onesided fixtures.Team Who wins the right to host the final need to stop giving tickets away for free because it devalues their event that fancy to stop assessing about having all Blacks playing every competition it doesn't mean the competitions any less meaningful and in my opinion it's one of the best competitions in My opinion one is my favourite competition. Kiwiwomble You do make a good point about the population size of the South Island and how could potentially not be financially beneficial For the South Island teams as I'm North Island Bay of Plenty steamers fan

I'm totally against it A north-south divisional split It could lead to onesided fixtures.Team Who wins the right to host the final need to stop giving tickets away for free because it devalues their event that fancy to stop assessing about having all Blacks playing every competition it doesn't mean the competitions any less meaningful and in my opinion it's one of the best competitions in My opinion one is my favourite competition. Kiwiwomble You do make a good point about the population size of the South Island and how could potentially not be financially beneficial For the South Island teams as I'm North Island Bay of Plenty steamers fan
One sided fixtures? We already have the division one playing 40% of their games against division two teams.

and I don't see how making entry free makes it a less valuable competition, it does the exact opposite because it generates interest.

after the springboks opted out of the rugby championship something had to give, it was either going to be women's rugby or mitre10. They look to have found a solution with minimal impact so if it works I'm all for it. It's an obvious shame because it's a great comp and the structure is frankly better than anything I've seen in terms of maximising the amount of viable teams, keeping them viable and competitive, without playing too many games. It's the only promotion relegation system I've seen that manages to keep a relatively even distribution of talent.

I heard they were thinking of still having two seven team competitions, so not quite north and south, more like south plus Wellington, manawatu, Hawkes bay. Doesn't make much sense for that pool, though I can see the north north pool will have less travel expenses.

As the third tier of rugby in NZ, it gets squeezed between the fully pro SR and amateur club rugby.

Fixtures limited to the same period as TRC.

Latest posts