• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NRL 2007 - Official thread

S

St Helens RLFC

Discuss the new season in here. Popularity permitting this might get changed to threads for individual matches but we'll see how it goes.

Here is the 2007 NRL Telstra Premiership Draw in PDF format: http://www.nrl.com/Portals/0/docs/NRLdraw_2007_3r.pdf

Im prediciting a Broncos - Bulldogs grandfinal again.

The ***ans could do anything really, they have the talent to make the top 8, however it's their first season and they'll have to work really hard to forge winning combinations.

Year in, year out, the Rabbitohs claim they will fire but it just never happens. They won't make the top 8 for a few years to come.

Im lookin forward to seeing whether the Roosters will play to their potential, as last year they were down-right embarrassing.

Storm will push for a Grand-Final spot, they have wonderful young attacking flair. Watch out for the likes of Inglis and King. Give them room and they'll Punish.

Wests Tigers - BAH! without Benji, THEY ARE NOTHING!

The Knights should fire and make the top 8 providing Joey Johns plays well. This year could very well be the year that Johns will starts playing second fiddle to Lockyer in the majority of peoples eyes (although ive been aware of this for a few years now!)

Sea Eagles have the forwards to do the job and win enough games to push for a top eight position but its likely they could get knocked off by the likes of the Rabbitohs...i don't really know what to expect of them now that big BK has retired.

The Eels have to sort out their off field problems before they sort themselves out on the football field.

Cowboys can do anything, if you've watched them over the last few years you'd know how unpredictable they can be, although they are either white hot, or freezing cold!

Panthers are a bit of an unknown for me, i don't know what to think when it comes to them. I really hope they perform better than last season but can't really see it happening.

The Sharkies are definately a chance for the top 8, with Brett Kimmorley on fire and the backs actually catching the ball, they may be able to pull off some upsets!

The mighty Bulldogs certainly have the team to go all the way. Wonderful strength in the forwards, backed up by a talented backline.

Current premiers the Broncos are strong across the park. Their youngins are impressive and will hopefully fill the void the Great Shane Webke left.

Dragons - They continuouslly promise to go better. Every year they are in the top 4 or so for most of the season, only to bomb out in the finals. For their fans' sake, i hope they make the final 4.

I can't see the Raiders doing anything at all this season.

The warriors are useless.

like the past 6 years

Raiders will be written off - they are $2.50 to get the spoon - like last year

and again like all years - will overachieve - maybe scrape into the 8

will not get the spoon

the raiders in 2007 are like the Tigers in 2005.......young, from a winning culture in lower grades, and will play with nothing to lose, with a new coach

One of the biggest young forward packs in the game

My Tip for the ***le is Melbourne
Their team is more or less the same - Inglis will come of more age its scary.....
Bulldogs will be in for a tuff year without Myles and Asotasi...they will struggle, especially if SBW isnt around, which we all know injury is part of his style
Broncos - should go well, even without Webcke, their backline is more mature, and if Locky can stay fit, expect a bold showing
Cowboys - will bounce back
Roosters - better shwoing than last year
***ans/Tigers/Warriors - wooden spooner contenders
Knights - if joey gets injured write them off.....they wont win a game......TRF's best 13 could beat the Joeyless Knights....too much pressure on Joey for these guys to win
Parra - not too sure what to expect
Souths - Taylor at the relm..........look out this is a supercoach in the making.....expect the unexpected
Dragons - Like all years....under achieve with such a stellar team on paper - If Nathan Brown wasnt coach - they'd challenge the 11 ***les in a row record they own from the 60's

I didn't think of any of that sorry.

Come to think of it they do have exactly what u said and they very well could rock the competition. Lets hope their young team can play to their potential.

They have bought well in the way of former Bronco Neville Costigan.

Todd Carney is set to have a big year, but it has already been over shadowed by apparently doing burnouts whilst under the influence of alcohol. Full story here: http://www.nrl.com/Clubs/Raiders/RaidersNe...36/Default.aspx

Alan Tongue is an absolute tackling machine!!! He made 1087 tackles last year! The most in the NRL by 176.

Although they have lost Clinton Schifcofske, Simon Woolford, Jason Croker, Adam Mogg and Jason Smith, i think, as you do to ak47, that the Raiders can make something of this season and they could very well make the top 8!

I didn't think of any of that sorry.

Come to think of it they do have exactly what u said and they very well could rock the competition. Lets hope their young team can play to their potential.

They have bought well in the way of former Bronco Neville Costigan.

Todd Carney is set to have a big year, but it has already been over shadowed by apparently doing burnouts whilst under the influence of alcohol. Full story here: http://www.nrl.com/Clubs/Raiders/RaidersNe...36/Default.aspx

Alan Tongue is an absolute tackling machine!!! He made 1087 tackles last year! The most in the NRL by 176.

Although they have lost Clinton Schifcofske, Simon Woolford, Jason Croker, Adam Mogg and Jason Smith, i think, as you do to ak47, that the Raiders can make something of this season and they could very well make the top 8!
[/b]

thats right mate

the thing with the raiders this year if we lose key players thru injury...ie Carney, Zillman, Goodwin....we will have zero direction in the backline, and will plummet to ultimate depths of wallowing...our depth this year has diminished as they have all had to step up to the plate.

Yeah Carney was a fool for doing that......he has a very high profile in that area in australia....not many people know who he is, but in that area, where he grew up the coppers are out to nab him for anything....even a minor thing like burnouts....when u compare that to Wes Ngaima's incidents of late, and driving without a liscense, Carney's offense is minor, but still no excuses.

A lil slip of the Tongue is the raiders secret weapon....he is the heart n soul of the club, and should be appointed Captain.........he went to school with Tom LL aswell.

There is no doubt in my mind if we lose Carney for a good chunk of the season, and one other pivotal player thru injury we will struggle to avoid the spoon....if these pivotal players can stay fit and confident....i see a 2005 Tiger-esque season hotting up.

And 100% - u'd have rocks in ur head to disagree - The Raiders 2007 forward pack, is the best they have had since Lazarus, Clyde, Lomax, Pongia, Wiki - days in the mid 90's....the foundations are set.....time for the young balls skills to strut their stuff

I'm backing the Eagles. Jamie Lyon is fresh from 2 years of absolute brilliance and he could turn into a bit of a gamebreaker for them. I doubt that they will suddenly turn into champions but I think they should be a surprise package.

This year for me, Melbourne will make up for the agony of last season and win the ***le.

yeah i agree the Eagles are in good stead for the next few years

Orford more familiar with the team and the injection of Lyon with Bell in the centres can only mean good good things

DOGGIES TO WIN :p ... I hope.

Word around the club is they are all feeling better then ever, and are out to get revenge on Brisbane. w00t.

DOGGIES TO WIN :p ... I hope.

Word around the club is they are all feeling better then ever, and are out to get revenge on Brisbane. w00t.
[/b]

I believe word around every club is that each and everyone of them are feeling better than ever...its call pre-season hope.

They may be out to get revenge on the Broncos, but its going to be damn hard to get it :)

The 2007 NRL Telstra Premiership kicked off last night with victories going to the Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys against Wests Tigers and Brisbane broncos respectively.

Melbourne Storm opened their 2007 NRL campaign with a 3 try-all encounter with Wests Tigers. Jason Moodie scored the first try for the Tigers in the first 10 minutes, but Storm replied midway through the first half with a try a-piece to second-rowers Jeremy Smith and Ryan Hoffman both converted by hooker Cameron Smith. The Tigers replied with a try in the 37th minute on the back of 3 consecutive penalties as a result of a poor discipline showing from the Storm. In the second half tries were awarded to NRL debutant Israel Falou in a show of strength and determination after catching a bomb close to the Tigers line and carrying two defenders over the line and the Tiger's Paul Whatuira punched on a loose ball in the Storm's in-goal areas in the 67th minute. End score 18-16.

In the Broncos-Cowboys match, played before a capacity crowd of over 50 000 at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, Jonathon Thurston proved to be the catalyst. He had a hand in each of the Cowboys 3 first half tries to lead 16-6 at the break. The first 25 minutes of the second half was all the Broncos - Hunt scored in the 57th minute after a determined run down the left sideline, followed soon after by Joel Moon who touch down after a clever off load by Tonie Carrol. Darren Lockyer at times was his usual brilliant self, but made too many soft mistakes which will have to be addressed this week at training.

After these two games it's quite evident to me that Jonathon Thurston is once again going to get be the receiver of the prestigious Dally-M medal or atleast get very close to it. Everything he touched turned to gold and he is only going to get better.
Greg Inglis didn't do anything overly special at five-eighth, he is much more suited to getting the ball on the run out wide whether it be on the wing or at full-back.

The 2007 NRL Telstra Premiership kicked off last night with victories going to the Melbourne Storm and North Queensland Cowboys against Wests Tigers and Brisbane broncos respectively.

Melbourne Storm opened their 2007 NRL campaign with a 3 try-all encounter with Wests Tigers. Jason Moodie scored the first try for the Tigers in the first 10 minutes, but Storm replied midway through the first half with a try a-piece to second-rowers Jeremy Smith and Ryan Hoffman both converted by hooker Cameron Smith. The Tigers replied with a try in the 37th minute on the back of 3 consecutive penalties as a result of a poor discipline showing from the Storm. In the second half tries were awarded to NRL debutant Israel Falou in a show of strength and determination after catching a bomb close to the Tigers line and carrying two defenders over the line and the Tiger's Paul Whatuira punched on a loose ball in the Storm's in-goal areas in the 67th minute. End score 18-16.

In the Broncos-Cowboys match, played before a capacity crowd of over 50 000 at Brisbane's Suncorp Stadium, Jonathon Thurston proved to be the catalyst. He had a hand in each of the Cowboys 3 first half tries to lead 16-6 at the break. The first 25 minutes of the second half was all the Broncos - Hunt scored in the 57th minute after a determined run down the left sideline, followed soon after by Joel Moon who touch down after a clever off load by Tonie Carrol. Darren Lockyer at times was his usual brilliant self, but made too many soft mistakes which will have to be addressed this week at training.

After these two games it's quite evident to me that Jonathon Thurston is once again going to get be the receiver of the prestigious Dally-M medal or atleast get very close to it. Everything he touched turned to gold and he is only going to get better.
Greg Inglis didn't do anything overly special at five-eighth, he is much more suited to getting the ball on the run out wide whether it be on the wing or at full-back. [/b]

Lockyer has fooked his ankle and i out for up to a month, and Cory Parker is out for up to 2 months with a fractured wrist or arm. BAH!

The brisbane pony club lost,well in NQ. :bravo:

The storm almost threw that bloody match. :rahh:

The brisbane pony club lost,well in NQ. :bravo:

The storm almost threw that bloody match. :rahh: [/b]

Brisbane Broncos are the defending premiers. They are not a pony club....rather a stable of Broncos.

In other news, Warriors have won 34-18 against the Eels.

<div class='quotemain'> The brisbane pony club lost,well in NQ. :bravo:

The storm almost threw that bloody match. :rahh: [/b]

Brisbane Broncos are the defending premiers. They are not a pony club....rather a stable of Broncos.

In other news, Warriors have won 34-18 against the Eels.
[/b][/quote]

:lol2tn:

I won some money on that NZ warriors game. :D

Im having an unusually good weekend. :)

Halftime at Brookvale, Manly leading 14-0 over the Raiders and halftime at Shark Park with Cronulla leading 6-0 over Penrith

Latest posts