• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

NRL 2012 - Official Discussion Thread

TRF_melon

Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Thor
Well well well...What a start!

What does everything think of the season so far?

Although I don't follow Manly in the least, I'm glad Daly Cherry-Evans hasn't succumbed to second year syndrome, however it seems his continued success has attracted attention from other clubs as well as increasing his aspirations. This is quite apparent in the fact that he is seeking an early release from Manly.

I can certainly see where he is coming from though - His ability and performances compared to his pay packet is chalk and cheese. It's abysmal. Cherry-Evans is on $85 000 a year!!! WTF??!!! There are plenty of players in Toyota Cup who are on more than that and his contract stipulates a meagre $125 000 for next year. Although a contract is a contract, surely Manly is smart enough to realise if they don't reward him with an early release and attempt to resign him at a much higher rate, they'll lose him without a doubt.

Look at Sandow - $550 000 per year. Cherry-Evans has performed better over the past 12 months than Sandow so surely he would be worth between $350 000 and $450 000 on the open market.

If he signs with another team for next season, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was for the Broncos as he is a Queenslander and they will be seeking a big name signing with the departure of Petero. I have previously mentioned the off-contract Thurston will be targeted, however a young Cherry-Evans would certainly fit in with the youthful dynamic of Brisbane.

The bulldogs have been the surprise packet so far with the likes of Josh Morris finally playing to their potential. He has of course been helped with strong performances from his team mates. I can't see the bulldogs staying top of the table though. Once they come up against Melbourne, Manly, Brisbane and co., they will be thrown back to the RSPCA.

I've been hugely disappointed by the Newcastle Knights. Hell, I had Darius Boyd in my NRL Dream Team but he's done sweet **** all. Their chances certainly haven't been increased with Naiqama injuring his knee in the first half against the Broncos and whenever Gidley isn't playing their chances of winning plummet to about 0.0172% unless of course they're playing at home against Canberra. With Naiqama out for a possible 6 week stint and Gidley still out for atleast another 2 weeks and playing away against the Bulldogs and Storm, I feel they'll stay on 2 competition points for a while yet.

Pharrrrk...plenty more to say but I have to head out! Let the banter begin!

Last edited:
I haven't been able to see much yet this season (bloody time difference!) but what I've seen I've enjoyed.
Watched the 2nd half of Broncos vs Dragons yesterday - Thaiday is still monstering everyone, I noticed :p

Cowboys are looking a hell of a lot better than they did in Round 1, Eels look terrible at the moment. Agree with you about the Knights Melon, I was expecting a lot more from them a couple of evenings ago maybe they need to sort out some early season issues.

Well well well...What a start!

What does everything think of the season so far?

Although I don't follow Manly in the least, I'm glad Daly Cherry-Evans hasn't succumbed to second year syndrome, however it seems his continued success has attracted attention from other clubs as well as increasing his aspirations. This is quite apparent in the fact that he is seeking an early release from Manly.

I can certainly see where he is coming from though - His ability and performances compared to his pay packet is chalk and cheese. It's abysmal. Cherry-Evans is on $85 000 a year!!! WTF??!!! There are plenty of players in Toyota Cup who are on more than that and his contract stipulates a meagre $125 000 for next year. Although a contract is a contract, surely Manly is smart enough to realise if they don't reward him with an early release and attempt to resign him at a much higher rate, they'll lose him without a doubt.

Look at Sandow - $550 000 per year. Cherry-Evans has performed better over the past 12 months than Sandow so surely he would be worth between $350 000 and $450 000 on the open market.

If he signs with another team for next season, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was for the Broncos as he is a Queenslander and they will be seeking a big name signing with the departure of Petero. I have previously mentioned the off-contract Thurston will be targeted, however a young Cherry-Evans would certainly fit in with the youthful dynamic of Brisbane.

The bulldogs have been the surprise packet so far with the likes of Josh Morris finally playing to their potential. He has of course been helped with strong performances from his team mates. I can't see the bulldogs staying top of the table though. Once they come up against Melbourne, Manly, Brisbane and co., they will be thrown back to the RSPCA.

I've been hugely disappointed by the Newcastle Knights. Hell, I had Darius Boyd in my NRL Dream Team but he's done sweet **** all. Their chances certainly haven't been increased with Naiqama injuring his knee in the first half against the Broncos and whenever Gidley isn't playing their chances of winning plummet to about 0.0172% unless of course they're playing at home against Canberra. With Naiqama out for a possible 6 week stint and Gidley still out for atleast another 2 weeks and playing away against the Bulldogs and Storm, I feel they'll stay on 2 competition points for a while yet.

Pharrrrk...plenty more to say but I have to head out! Let the banter begin!

Sandow was flavor of the month for a year too long. Also - the Russell Crowe effect. Souths should've bought Kimmorley/Orford to balance Sandow out. Southon is not a Standoff.

Cherry-Evans star has only just started to rise. Never mistake the influence of an Older head like Toovey or the combination he has with Kieran Foran (who plays with the match wisdom of a veteran) Also he signed a deal that wasn't based on how good he would become now - it was a standard contract. Manly's mistake - but now he holds the cards.

Barring severe injuries Bulldogs will make the top 8. (Yep - I'm calling it :cool:) They've started to realise their potential - Frank Pritchard is less inconsistent in his 2 games than he was all season last year, they just lack the depth needed to make it too the main finals ala Manly. The Knights will comeback - Bennett's previous teams have a record of beating him. Mullen is starting to come into the form that got him Origin Selection. Which is ultimately Wayne Bennett's gift to Rugby League.

Although I'm an out and out Warriors/Kiwis & Queensland supporter. I think Maloney is knocking on the door of Origin for NSW.

Just caught the Broncos and Rabbitohs, solid game although some questionable reffing decisions, that sinning for a 2nd tackle in the first half was a pathetic call. The crowd in Perth looked pretty good...any possibility of the NRL putting an expansion team outside of the East Coast any time soon?

...any possibility of the NRL putting an expansion team outside of the East Coast any time soon?

None at all. The closest the NRL are to an expansion is definitely either the East Coast or Papua New Guinea. In fact, I'd say there'll be a PNG team before a NSW Central Coast or another Brisbane team.

Parramatta Eels....what a ****ing embarrassing group of people. What compelled the inept board at the Eels to get rid of coach Daniel Anderson at the end of 2010 with a year left on his contract is beyond me. He had a win loss ratio of greater than 1:1 and really wasn't doing a bad job at all. The team was full of whingers and the club as a whole had a fair few bad eggs but reshuffles all around hasn't helped one bit. Although I don't believe in giving Stephen Kearney the sack for the time being, the question has to be asked how he has managed to win bugger all games since the start of 2011. Don't quote me this but I think the Eels have only won 9 of their last 30 games? Does the root cause stem from a negative club culture perpetuated from the top or is it the playing group?...or the coaching staff?

In terms of player performance there's not much to write home about from Parramatta's point of view, however Hindmarsh managed over 50 tackles as per usual although he was easily bumped off by one of the halves to make a line break. Now that Hindmarsh is a veteran who is still going as hard as ever, I think he needs to be rested in the interests of preservation.
Although Sandow showed glimpses of brilliance and doesn't have much to work with at the moment, I the Eels made a huge mistake in signing him. Mind you though, I'm looking forward to see him create a good playing relationship with Jarryd Hayne should injury and the rest of the team permit.

However in saying all that, the Eels can take solace in the fact they didn't lose to a bad team. Penrith were on fire last night!!! The halves pairing of Walsh and and Burns was classy, and the centre / wing pairing of Jennings and Uaisele was explosive. There was plenty of go forward from the likes of Simpkins and McKendry and Luke Lewis looks like he'll secure a State of Origin jersey this year.

The Broncos win last night was soured with the injury of Yow Yeh (compound fracture!) who looks like he may miss the majority of the season, or the first State of Origin game - best case scenario.

Dave Taylor and Sam Burgess once again proved their worth and whilst Isaac Luke is a scummy grub who I wouldn't feed, he is a class act at hooker.

What is everyone's take on Penrith? I think if they stay injury free they'll manage a top 8 spot. The talent, enthusiasm and support is there the depth is not.

Just caught the Broncos and Rabbitohs, solid game although some questionable reffing decisions, that sinning for a 2nd tackle in the first half was a pathetic call. The crowd in Perth looked pretty good...any possibility of the NRL putting an expansion team outside of the East Coast any time soon?

Lots of talk about a team in Perth. The question would be whether they can support a super rugby franchise, two AFL teams and a football team. They are one of the favoured places for expansion though as they have actual rugby league history. There are far more league players in WA than there are in Victoria and Victoria obviously has the Storm.

None at all. The closest the NRL are to an expansion is definitely either the East Coast or Papua New Guinea. In fact, I'd say there'll be a PNG team before a NSW Central Coast or another Brisbane team.

Parramatta Eels....what a ****ing embarrassing group of people. What compelled the inept board at the Eels to get rid of coach Daniel Anderson at the end of 2010 with a year left on his contract is beyond me. He had a win loss ratio of greater than 1:1 and really wasn't doing a bad job at all. The team was full of whingers and the club as a whole had a fair few bad eggs but reshuffles all around hasn't helped one bit. Although I don't believe in giving Stephen Kearney the sack for the time being, the question has to be asked how he has managed to win bugger all games since the start of 2011. Don't quote me this but I think the Eels have only won 9 of their last 30 games? Does the root cause stem from a negative club culture perpetuated from the top or is it the playing group?...or the coaching staff?

In terms of player performance there's not much to write home about from Parramatta's point of view, however Hindmarsh managed over 50 tackles as per usual although he was easily bumped off by one of the halves to make a line break. Now that Hindmarsh is a veteran who is still going as hard as ever, I think he needs to be rested in the interests of preservation.
Although Sandow showed glimpses of brilliance and doesn't have much to work with at the moment, I the Eels made a huge mistake in signing him. Mind you though, I'm looking forward to see him create a good playing relationship with Jarryd Hayne should injury and the rest of the team permit.

However in saying all that, the Eels can take solace in the fact they didn't lose to a bad team. Penrith were on fire last night!!! The halves pairing of Walsh and and Burns was classy, and the centre / wing pairing of Jennings and Uaisele was explosive. There was plenty of go forward from the likes of Simpkins and McKendry and Luke Lewis looks like he'll secure a State of Origin jersey this year.

The Broncos win last night was soured with the injury of Yow Yeh (compound fracture!) who looks like he may miss the majority of the season, or the first State of Origin game - best case scenario.

Dave Taylor and Sam Burgess once again proved their worth and whilst Isaac Luke is a scummy grub who I wouldn't feed, he is a class act at hooker.

What is everyone's take on Penrith? I think if they stay injury free they'll manage a top 8 spot. The talent, enthusiasm and support is there the depth is not.

Can I ask why you think there will be a team in Perth and why you thing a team in PNG will be successful?

The injury to Yow Yeh looked really bad, hopefully he'll be fine long term. I agree with you Melon the Eels look embarrassing, blown out again, at this rate they'll be lucky to win even 1 or 2 games on the year.

I'd love to see Port Moresby Vipers as the PNG possiblity I know the passion is there do you think there would be enough disposable income from the locals to support the franchise?

Until I really looked into Australian sports I never knew how extreme the dividing lines between regions and the sports they followed was, in Canada there are always certain areas that support certain games better than others but it's not like rugby or gridiron or Ice Hockey have little/no presence in any region of the country.

Been following the Warriors and the Tigers. The second game of the Warriors was sweet. Now, today against The ***ans the boys are going hard. Like

Can I ask why you think there will be a team in Perth and why you thing a team in PNG will be successful?

1. I DON't think there will be a team in perth, not in the next 5 years anyway. Where on earth did you get that from?

2. I didn't say a PNG team would be successful, I merely said it would be more LIKELY...for the time being anyway.

The injury to Yow Yeh looked really bad, hopefully he'll be fine long term. I agree with you Melon the Eels look embarrassing, blown out again, at this rate they'll be lucky to win even 1 or 2 games on the year.

I'd love to see Port Moresby Vipers as the PNG possiblity I know the passion is there do you think there would be enough disposable income from the locals to support the franchise?

Until I really looked into Australian sports I never knew how extreme the dividing lines between regions and the sports they followed was, in Canada there are always certain areas that support certain games better than others but it's not like rugby or gridiron or Ice Hockey have little/no presence in any region of the country.

I suppose if the team did come to fruition it would be seen as a good night out by the more "affluent" members of the city it is based, I assume the city would be Port Moresby. I'm sure they'd somehow make it affordable for the wider community.

Perhaps half the home games would be in PNG and the other half in Australia in order to maintain numbers at matches? These are issues that would be a positive for local bids from the likes of Perth, Brisbane and the NSW Central Coast.

I just read that Gold Coast ***ans are in some serious financial problems, will the bailout plan work? Some good games coming up this weekend as well, some underacheiving teams like the Knights and Warriors need some wins.

Wow Roosters got a pounding from the Storm :eek:

Mmmm...they certainly did. Storm looked like doing the same to Newcastle last night until the last 12 minutes when Newcastle scored 3 tries. Still ended up 34-22 though.

If the Storm continue this quality of football and remain injury free, who's going to stop them?

I just read that Gold Coast ***ans are in some serious financial problems, will the bailout plan work? Some good games coming up this weekend as well, some underacheiving teams like the Knights and Warriors need some wins.

They'll be fine, just a matter of finding which plan works best. Unfortunately it seems the Construction part of the company has biiiiig issues. Reports of debt vary from $25-35 million.

I wonder if Mr. Tinkler is interested in another club....?

Good to hear about Gold Coast probably being alright there Melon, and boy do the Storm look clinical, kind of let off the gas just at the end against the Knights(just finished watching the taped broadcast) but after the game was in hand. I can't really see anyone outside of the Broncos and maybe Bulldogs being a threat for them at the moment.

Golden point what a game what a goal!!!! What a comeback Rabbitohs!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The Storm with another clinical performance thrashing an OK Cowboys side, they really look unbeatable at the moment. Eels are finally in the win column as well although they still look terrible.

Saw some debate on the braodcasts about the 18th man substitution being brought in next season, I guess some in the game think it will help with the concussion issue, what are everyone's thoughts?

Good see the Raiders doing okay this season so far. don't watch much NRL but always liked Canberra Raiders for some reason.

Latest posts