• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Obama v McCain

Who will be the next US President?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John McCain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't understand politics.. but i do get the sense that especially with the circus around the US Elections, a mockery is made of any seriousness in it and it is all down to who says the most pleasing things, all of which is just electioneering and imaginary.

It's like a pep rally for your local NCAA football team. 'We haven't won a game for 3 seasons, but this is gonna be our championship year'. It's just something americans seem vulnerable too, they get caught up in the hyperbole and excitement.

And as Enquelaz says, government don't really change. The leader changes, as so does an agenda, but little else. You can dress up a pig, but it's still a pig.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enguelaz @ Nov 4 2008, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wait for the magic recounts of Florida and Texas guys, will be fun to see another stolen election. To me, both candidates are just puppets, we all wonder why they chose Palin? Well, if you get someone malleable and stupid enough to sign any bill then they qualify... The all thing is masquerade - Obama kept repeating his speech about "Change". But nothing will happen, it will be like in those "cheap" supermarkets, where you think it's cheaper just cause it's written everywhere...

I lost all confidence is those rulling classes, after all they're human and the only thing they care about at the end f the day is themselves...[/b]

Florida and Texas aren't relevant for this election, Pensylvania is the ball game for Obama, win there, which looks likely and he'll have the magic number.

What time GMT or Brisbane Time (GMT + 9) if anyone is nice enough to tell me, when will we know when the US president is elected?

Anyone is Aus know if this election will be on any of the FTA channels?

I believe that SBS & ABC will provide regular coverage of the election, and it should be finalised by the end of tomorrow (Brissie time).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (An Tarbh @ Nov 4 2008, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enguelaz @ Nov 4 2008, 04:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait for the magic recounts of Florida and Texas guys, will be fun to see another stolen election. To me, both candidates are just puppets, we all wonder why they chose Palin? Well, if you get someone malleable and stupid enough to sign any bill then they qualify... The all thing is masquerade - Obama kept repeating his speech about "Change". But nothing will happen, it will be like in those "cheap" supermarkets, where you think it's cheaper just cause it's written everywhere...

I lost all confidence is those rulling classes, after all they're human and the only thing they care about at the end f the day is themselves...[/b]

Florida and Texas aren't relevant for this election, Pensylvania is the ball game for Obama, win there, which looks likely and he'll have the magic number.
[/b][/quote]

"From Election Protection...
Voters are reporting major obstacles to casting their ballot in polling locations across Virginia and Pennsylvania, which could disenfranchise thousands of voters in each state.

Long lines, broken voting machines, ballot shortages and misused absentee ballots are just some of the problems that threaten voting.

VIRGINIA: Dozens of polling places are experiencing varying degrees of machine malfunctions. Some polling places are either completely closed or have been closed for hours. Thousands of voters may have been turned away illegally by polling workers. Voters have illegally been issued with provisional ballets where machines have been broken.

Students at Virginia Tech, previously the victims of misinformation, have seen their polling place suddenly and unexpectedly moved six miles to a location with little parking.

*** UPDATE *** Per NBC's Wendy Jones, producer on site: The Virginia Election authority says: Virginia Tech students are not being turned away. Because of traffic congestion, they are being directed to satellite parking.

PENNSYLVANIA: Voting machine malfunctions are widespread and at least a dozen locations, mainly focused on Pittsburgh and Philadelphia. Election Protection has received reports of campaign materials being illegally distributed at polling locations in Pittsburgh. Voters across the state are reporting that they never received their absentee ballots, which is creating additional chaos at the polls.

Several other states like Florida, Ohio, Colorado and Michigan are reporting long lines due to problems with registration lists and poll locations."

I read this minutes ago on MSNBC website... how convenient...

UPDATE:

"From Election Protection...
As of 2:45pm, Election Protection has received over 48,000 calls to the 1-866-OUR-VOTE Hotline since the phones opened at 5:30am this morning.

FLORIDA: We have received more than 30 calls from voters all across the state concerned that their precinct's optical scan machine is not working. When this occurs, ballots are supposed to be placed in a “a secure bin" under the voting machine. Because of the volume of ballots, these bins are now filling up. We have received several reports of poll workers collecting ballots in a bag, which is not in accordance with the law. Election Protection is working with local election officials to ensure that all votes that have yet to be counted due to optical scan malfunctions are placed in secure locations.

MICHIGAN: As of 11:45 a.m. EST, voters on Detroit’s east side were waiting five hours to vote in 1,000-person long line at Beth Eden Baptist, largely as a result of an understaffed polling operation. An Election Protection partner law firm on the ground in Detroit is investigating the situation.

OHIO: Voters in several Ohio counties reported to Election Protection problems at their polling location due to poll workers not accepting proper identification and forcing the voters to cast provisional ballots.

VIRGINIA: Many machine issues from early this morning have been resolved but we continue to see major residual effects in the Chesapeake area where some voters are waiting in five to six hour lines. "

Same old story...2000 and 2004 elections would have been laughed at if they'd took place in any 3rd World country...

The funniest thing I read so far (and maybe also the saddest):

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
[...]at a polling place on the east side of Philadelphia, several voting machines were not working because they were too far from an available electrical outlet and no extension cord was available[/b]

Where is the time you just needed to tick of a name on a piece of paper (at least, that's how they used to do it here XD)
Curious to find out who'll win. I hope it doesn't come down to 500 or so votes again. The fact that several lawsuits are being prepared in case the outcome of the election in certain states isn't what one party wants is amusing, I doubt they'd file a lawsuit if the result was favourable.

It's a done deal now for Obama, having taken Ohio, Colorado and New Mexico are no longer relevant. It's only a matter of how big an electoral college win he'll get.

Listening to Obama's acceptance speech live on TV now.  He really is a good speaker off the cuff without any notes.

Am I dreaming or is this really a black American president....surreal.

That's done, Obama won Florida and California... Bush is Dead - Bush is Dead (RIP Bill Hicks)

Good luck to Him, really wish him well! At least this is a great message that is send to the world right now: Black or White doesn't and shouldn't matter, now more than ever... i hope the U.S and the world is ready to understand and acknowledge this once and for all!

But what now? I really wish to be wrong but i don't think things will profoundly change politically speaking... I know, I should sound happier and all, but politicians never did anything good, and the ones who tried have been eliminated...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 5 2008, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Listening to Obama's acceptance speech live on TV now.  He really is a good speaker off the cuff without any notes.

Am I dreaming or is this really a black American president....surreal.[/b]

Yeah man, was thinking the same... just got a nice warm feeling inside, it's good to see him up there.

Gotta feel sorry for McCain...he seems like a good man....his mistake is that George Bush was in the White House for two terms before he was.  Another time he may have been in but pretty hard going when America have had enough of what Bush has done.  Obama was the fresh alternative the country were looking for and was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.

Well done Obama.

English teacher last year said Obama had no chance and a black president wouldn't happen in our time. How wrong he was.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Nov 5 2008, 06:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Am I dreaming or is this really a black American president....surreal.[/b]

They weren't off the cuff remarks, he was reading that off an autocue.

I was very scared for him seeing that bullet proof glass on the stage. I hope he will be safe for the next 4 years and then some.(Oh i bet Iran is happy that they are not getting bombed! McCain had a date set already for the bombings!)
I think Obama will do wonders for US internationally.

Whoever said that racism isn't as bad in UK as it is in USA, bs my friend, I am American and black, on a trip to England (saw my only live rugby match! England beat Scotland 42 - 20 in the 2007 six nations) i took as many outright insults as I did in my entire life.

The thing is people fear what they don't, or can't understand. Alas, some people cannot understand how/why a black man can be president. I honestly don't think it makes a slightest difference what your skin colour is.

Latest posts