• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Obama v McCain

Who will be the next US President?

• Barack Obama

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John McCain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Nov 7 2008, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 5 2008, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Something that got my goat on the Radio this morning was an interview with some woman in New York saying (imagine the drawling accent) "And I'm soooooooo pleased to finally vote for a genuine African American".

So in other words, she voted for him because he's black. Nothing to do with his parties policies or his ability as a leader. Personally I don't know jack-all about what either Obama or Oven-chips pledged to the people, but the only impression I get from watching anything about it is people are more interested in the colour of his skin then the content of his mind.

It's a pity that, while democracy is great in principal, giving everybody a voice also allows complete morons a mouthpiece.

That also reminds me of when Nelson Mandella was interviewed on American TV.
TV presenter: "So what does it feel like to be the worlds first democratically elected African American president?" (or something along those lines)
Mandella: "I'm not American"[/b]

Not sure I agree. In my opinion it's as good a reason as any to vote for somone. Black people have been put down for generations. The native people of America has only recently had a voice again. Basically it's a huge thing (a great thing) to have a black president of the United States. It shows the world how far things have come in such a small amount of time (relitively), from when a black person has to give up his seat on a bus etc.

Of course it's important that he's a good president, making changes were it matters. Improving the image America projects on the world would be a big start (on a global scale), playing down 'terrorism' etc. But also on a local scale, the credit crunch has hit everyone hard and needs the right people to sort it out (though it had to happen didn't it?). From what I've seen so far, Obama is the right man to do this, imo of course. He's gotta be better that Bush, right?
[/b][/quote]

He's gotta be better than Bush, that's for sure but here's hoping he concentrates on domestic politics because foreign policy doesn't seem to be his strong point, given that he's appointed Emanuel as his chief of staff he'll certainly be taking a no nonsense approach at the outset of his presidency but whether this will work when it comes to foreign policy remains to be seen. There's a lot of damage control that's gonna need to be done in the wake of the Bush regime and I have my doubts that Obama is the right man to do that, it'll be interesting to see who he appoints as Secretary of State.

Latest posts