• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Oceania Region - General Discussion Thread

How would you like teams selected in our comps?

• Choose any 3 teams you like & play against your opponents

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Choose two tier 1 teams & one tier 2 & play against your opponents

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • You list preferences & a draw takes to see which team you get

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Choose one tier 1 team, one tier 2 & one tier 3 (minnow) team

Votes: 4 30.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TRF C A Iversen

Rugby Gaming Nut
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Please feel free to add your name in this thread if you have interest in these upcoming competitions and this will be the thread for general discussion as the competition progresses. :)

What do we want to know?

1. That if your interested in playing in the leagues, that you'll be fine with committing to playing the competition through to it's conclusion whatever the result may be for yourself personally as a player.

2. That you understand that it's important that these games are to be played in good spirits and that any negativity towards other players will be deleted from these threads.

3. That you understand that not everyone can have a "dead-on equally rated team" in such competitions as these and that in the end there are bound to be games where one side will perhaps have a slight advantage in some ways. That's just the way of things.

So, give us your input. How'd you like your competition? Full round robin, then finals? Pools then finals?

Let's hear from you. There's a week to go. :)

Sign me up!

I'm all game for the online competition! I think full round robin and then finals will give a equal chance for everyone to play each other, but if there is to many players then the pool system will work better.. So sign me up for the oceanic region...

I'm all game for the online competition! I think full round robin and then finals will give a equal chance for everyone to play each other, but if there is to many players then the pool system will work better.. So sign me up for the oceanic region...

No problem Rugbybrain. Which comp? The PS3 or Xbox 360 one? :)

New poll guys, remember this affects all of our comps. We need to know how your teams should be decided for the comps.

Listing of tier one teams (NZ, AUS, ENG, IRE, FRA etc), tier 2 (Fiji, USA etc) and tier 3 (Russia, Namibia etc) will be up tomorrow at some stage to assist if you can't decide which poll choice suits.

We're aiming to ensure that these competitions will be run using methods suitable for you guys, so please feel free to make suggestions. :)

If somehow we were able to obtain copies of the RWC for both consoles, could we enter in both?

Is there a mercy rule?

With Telecom, connection is terrible - if there is a dropout will that be an automatic loss?

I'm happy with pools then finals.

What time period are we considering? Maybe a Weekout from the RWC final? Gives time to get use to the game play, practise online etc...

Most likely Xbox360 at this stage.

If somehow we were able to obtain copies of the RWC for both consoles, could we enter in both?

Is there a mercy rule?

With Telecom, connection is terrible - if there is a dropout will that be an automatic loss?

I'm happy with pools then finals.

What time period are we considering? Maybe a Weekout from the RWC final? Gives time to get use to the game play, practise online etc...

Most likely Xbox360 at this stage.

Great questions.

I see no reason someone couldn't enter both comps, as long as they play both comps out.

What kind of mercy rule? I'm not sure what you mean. We'll happily discuss options here in the thread.

The rule for disconnects will likely be something similar to:

If one player is in front by more than 14pts in the 2nd half at the time of disconnect then they win the game.

If a disconnect happens after the 65th minute (or in the 1min vicinty of) then if the team leading is leading by 7pts or more, then they will be awarded the win.

If games disconnect in the 1st half, more often than not it'll be a legitimate connection issue. In the case of persistent connection issues, an attempt to replay will be made a few times until each user has tried enough and if no luck, then please discuss that in the fixture threads that will be located here at that time.

People's connections are their own issue and we need to be as fair as possible. We can't ourselves run an overly complex system for combating this kind of potential cheating and these are the best methods we have at a forum level for ensuring a game goes most of the distance.

Please bear in mind that we do want a competition that people enjoy and we may look at measures of removing people from competitions who seem to consistently have a connection issue when people are coming back into a game. If we get the word from a number of other members, then that'll build up a profile of who may or may not be included in future comps also.

It's likely that these competitions will not commence until at least one week after release, to enable people to purchase the game and upskill themselves somewhat. So this may also tie in reasonably closely to the start of the actual cup.

Given the speeds at which video game tourneys can complete, it may not run for the duration of the world cup.

Hope these answers help. :)

Mercy Rule - if you are 40+ ahead of your opponents game over - you win.

We've implemented a no mercy rule for friends and family in Rugby 08 - they have been on the end of some 100pt drubbings

Online and during this comp - if there is a clear and decisive winner by half time. Say a 40+ lead then perhaps the game should end? As long as it's both agreed upon.

I'm not in favour of them (I'm against it as I learn more from losses than wins, even if I'm getting the hiding) but in the spirit of good sportsmanship maybe we should consider implementing a mercy rule?

Also wasn't wanting it to run the duration of the WC, just wanted to have the comp later on, was spending alot of time working & going to the pool games. Finals not soo much - not enough money for the tickets.

I'm keen. Do you need to leave your gamers tag in here? And which console ps3 or xbox 360??

I'm keen. Do you need to leave your gamers tag in here? And which console ps3 or xbox 360??

A comp for each and yes please leave your gamertags and psn id's here, we'll post them at the start of the thread as we get more names. :)

Mercy Rule - if you are 40+ ahead of your opponents game over - you win.

We've implemented a no mercy rule for friends and family in Rugby 08 - they have been on the end of some 100pt drubbings

Online and during this comp - if there is a clear and decisive winner by half time. Say a 40+ lead then perhaps the game should end? As long as it's both agreed upon.

I'm not in favour of them (I'm against it as I learn more from losses than wins, even if I'm getting the hiding) but in the spirit of good sportsmanship maybe we should consider implementing a mercy rule?

Also wasn't wanting it to run the duration of the WC, just wanted to have the comp later on, was spending alot of time working & going to the pool games. Finals not soo much - not enough money for the tickets.

This is what I suspected you meant. I'm going to leave this open to more comment for the time being, but I'm thinking myself maybe not. Still, we don't want too many rage quits, so maybe an agreed mercy finish is possible. We'd not make people say "mercy" though on mics or messages though. It'd be something more like "win conceeded" or even just "w c". I think it needs further discussion though and is a good point. :)

ok cool.
xbox live username = afakassiassasin
Same as my TRF profile except afakasi has 2 S's.

New poll guys, remember this affects all of our comps. We need to know how your teams should be decided for the comps.

Listing of tier one teams (NZ, AUS, ENG, IRE, FRA etc), tier 2 (Fiji, USA etc) and tier 3 (Russia, Namibia etc) will be up tomorrow at some stage to assist if you can't decide which poll choice suits.

We're aiming to ensure that these competitions will be run using methods suitable for you guys, so please feel free to make suggestions. :)

I think the best way to play the comps is to make a rule of you have to play two teams who's overall rating is withing say 10 points. So if player 1 chose NZ who is 91 then player two must chose a team of 81 or more to challenge. 98% will in any way play with the bigger rated teams like NZ, SA, AUS, ENG or FRA.

I'm pumped for a competition, sign me up

PSN - Cozens11

Last edited:
1 question is this gona be playd on weekends

Good question. Due to the flexibility of being able to put the draw up and then wait to hear back from the contestants on here afterwards, a game should be playable anytime during that given round of games. If we made the emphasis on it being held every day or the like, the comp would be over pretty quickly. So, I'm thinking it might be something along the lines of allowing 3 days for everyone to play their round game.

so quick question: with deciding what teams to use, do we decide "this game will use tier 2 teams" then select your tier 2 team? or is it all pre-planned, so you play a couple of each teir 1,2 and 3 in the round robin?

so quick question: with deciding what teams to use, do we decide "this game will use tier 2 teams" then select your tier 2 team? or is it all pre-planned, so you play a couple of each teir 1,2 and 3 in the round robin?

Well the poll hasn't played out yet, and the tourneys won't be starting right on release day, so it's hard to say for completely sure just yet. The answer I mostly seem to be getting from people is that they want to choose three teams and then have an agreed fixture between two of the teams. The player designated as "home" will get to choose first.

Can we have a count up of the 360 & the PS players? It seems that the majority are PS owners.

I may have to change my pre-order.

Latest posts