• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

O'Connell and Best out of summer tour

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2010/0528/oconnellp.html

Ireland will be without British and Irish Lions captain Paul O'Connell and hooker Rory Best for their tour of New Zealand and Australia after the pair were ruled out through injury.

Munster lock O'Connell was selected in Declan Kidney's initial 33-man party despite receiving intravenous antibiotics for a groin injury at a Cork hospital.

O'Connell, 30, suffered the injury during Ireland's final RBS 6 Nations game against Scotland and has failed to recover in time to tour, with Ulster's Ed O'Donoghue being called up as his replacement.

Best had missed most of the season after undergoing surgery on a serious neck injury last summer, but he returned ahead of schedule to play a part in the Six Nations.

But an ankle injury has also ruled the 27-year-old out and he is replaced by Leinster's John Fogarty.

The news robs Ireland of valuable experience, with back-rowers Stephen Ferris and Denis Leamy and back Luke Fitzgerald already missing from the trip down under.

Ireland prepare for their trip with a clash against Barbarians at Thomond Park in a week's time before meeting New Zealand in New Plymouth on 12 June.

The team is due to face New Zealand Maori on 18 June before rounding off the trip with a Test against Australia in Brisbane on 26 June.

Lads take it from me Paul O'Connell's injury is alot more serious than we are lead to believe he is going to Liverpool again next week to hopefully find a remedy

No estimated return yet as they still trying to discover what is determining the injury.

If donncha ryan wasn't injured O'connels injury would not be so bad for Ireland (or munster). Ed O'donnohue does the basics well and thats what you want from a player that hasn't really been in the international frame. Not to bad that best is Injured this will hopefull give Cronin a chance to shine (very promising player).

Seriously weakened touring squad. O'Connell, Best, Fitzgerald and Ferris. More disappointed about Ferris and Fitzgerald than the other 2. This tour isn't about winning. it's about showing our players worth. We want Fitz and Ferris to prove themselves playing against top Southern Hemisphere opposition on their home turf.

Paulie's injury is a baffling one, he was expected to be fit for the QF, then the SF, then the summer tour, get it fixed please medical people! :D

At least know we get to see Sean Cronin play I suppose.

Cringe at the thought of MOD in an a green jersey.

Paul O'Connell, Leo Cullen, Donnacha Ryan and Devin Toner are all injured and Mal O'Kelly is retiring yet Bob Casey still can't get called up. That says all you need to know about the Premiership.

Forgot about Casey in that case call up Casey great in the line-out good around the park and hes not a bad leader witch we need without Best and POC both are leaders in the squad. without them that means all we really have in terms of leadership is BOD and well i hes not proven yet but Heslip

i think though when your on tour blooding a few players
a 32 year old 7 capped man isnt the answer
i personally thinkcasey is a missed tlent by ireland alongside quinlan both should have a lot more caps but O'Donoghue has more years left and does his basics well could be a become a good player at lenister

Quinlan had his chances but for some reason thuggery and a habit of giving away crucial points isn't looked upon to fondly by the Irish selectors.

Anyway, with all of this in mind, what team would you men like to see face up to the Aussies and the All Blacks?

I agree Quinlans tactics work very well for Munster but his hot headness means he isn't composed enough to be international class

1. Healy
2. Flannery
3. Buckley
4. MOD (I guess...)
5. DOC
6. McLaughlin
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. O'Leary
10. Sex-Bomb
11. Earls
12. D'Arcy
13. BOD
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

Subs:
Court, Cronin, some 2nd row, O'Brien, Reddan, O'Gara, Trimble

drop mod we know what he is going to be like try one of the new lads there beside donnacha for experince id like to see dan tuohy given a go

Lads it's all well and good throwing inexperienced players in against likes of NZ away but if it goes horrible for them the effects could be devastating.
I'd rather blood some lads in the Maori game and then gradually in the AI's at home.

OK, our pack could be in real trouble. Missing first choice players in Rory Best, Paul O'Connell and Stephen Ferris, and back ups in Leo Cullen, Donnacha Ryan, Kevin McLaughlin, Sean O'Brien and Denis Leamy.

After thinking about it, we are going to have to play a whole different style of rugby.

1. Cian Healy
2. Sean Cronin
3. Tony Buckley
4. Dan Touhy
5. Donncha O'Callaghan
6. David Wallace
7. Shane Jennings
8. Jamie Heaslip

9. Eoin Reddan
10. Jonny Sexton
11. Andrew Trimble
12. Brian O'Driscoll (C)
13. Keith Earls
14. Tommy Bowe
15. Geordan Murphy

16. Jerry Flannery
17. Tom Court
18. Ed O'Donoghue
19. John Muldoon
20. Tomás O'Leary
21. Paddy Wallace
22. Rob Kearney

Right, before I get critisized for not picking Kearney, D'arcy, O'Leary or Flannery, It is a team picked based on ability to carry out a fast/loose style of gameplan. Two opensides to link the play with a fantastic footballer at #8, a hooker who carries like an outside centre, a playmaker at fullback who will pop up at first and second receiver and make the killer pass/do something special. BOD at 12 is an exciting, prospect excellent hands, will attract defenders to him allowing space outside for the like of Earls, Bowe and Trimble. Earls will take on and beat anybody 1 on 1 and has the raw pace we need in the outside centre channel. I think his defense is good enough for 13, if the coaches don't believe so, swich him with Bowe when the opposition have the ball.

Alternatively we could try and pound the opposition into submission but without so many first and second choice forwards I don't think we have a chance playing that way.

1. Healy
2. Flannery
3. Hayes
4. O'Donnoghue
5. O'Callaghan
6. Muldoon
7. Wallace
8. Heaslip
9. O'Leary
10. Sexton
11. Earls
12. D'arcy
13. O'Driscoll
14. Bowe
15. Kearney

16. Cronin
17. Court
18. Touhy
19. Jennings
20. Reddan
21. O'Gara
22. Trimble

The second team would be a more confrontational one but I don't see them getting anywhere against the packs of the AB's or Wallabies. If it is a wet muddy day pick the second one, otherwise the first team all the way, give it a real go!

I can't understand the reasoning behing calling up Niall Ronan who has been found out physically this season. He's no more likely to go the the World Cup than Alan Quinlan but at least Quinlan is playing regular rugby in big games. I would have picked Quinlan or Roger Wilson ahead of Niall Ronan.

i know irelands injurys are quite bad at the momment in the back and second row
but i suppose it shows kidney wants to develop a squad by picking the young guy instead of the old vet

but i suppose it shows kidney wants to develop a squad by picking the young guy instead of the old vet
Ronan's not that young. He's been a professional rugby player for 7 seasons and turns 28 at the start of next season. He's a career backup who's not good enough to step up to international rugby and never will be. I'd love it if he plays brilliantly and I've egg on my face though.

Quinlan has been around the block and for all his disciplinary faults, he's still playing pretty well. He's still good for 40 or 50 minutes a game at international level. That's more than Niall Ronan in my opinion and thus Quinlan is unlucky not to be called up for this tour. It wouldn't be a selection with the future in mind but neither is selecting Niall Ronan.