Ones to watch in the Six Nations

Feicarsinn

Super Αdmin
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Leinster
So guys, who do you think are the players who are going to make a name for themselves in this year's championship? From an Irish point of view, I hope that Flanker Sean O'Brien and Tighthead Prop Mike Ross can emulate their club form and show Europe what they can do.

Which uncovered gems should we be keeping our eyes on from the other camps?

Think an eye should be kept on Jon Davies for Wales, he's having a cracking season so far! If he continues this form in the last 2 Heineken pool games, I can see him starting against England. If he does, not sure whether it'll be Hook or Roberts who partner him. Will be interesting to see how much George North is included when he comes back from injury, especially seeing that Halfpenny is back from injury. Warburton and Lydiate are sure to be raring to try and secure starting spots for this 6 Nations and the World Cup too.

Think everyone knows everyone from England after the summer tour/AIs, the squads pretty much unchanged (pending Lawes/Crofts replacements, but they're bound to be guys we've all seen in an England shirt before)
Joe Simpson is in, but I imagine he'll get 20mins against Italy at the best

Dan Coles first 6N though, so will be interesting to see him go against the Wales/Italy
Same with Ashton and Foden, who had limited time last year

Think everyone knows everyone from England after the summer tour/AIs, the squads pretty much unchanged (pending Lawes/Crofts replacements, but they're bound to be guys we've all seen in an England shirt before)
Joe Simpson is in, but I imagine he'll get 20mins against Italy at the best

Dan Coles first 6N though, so will be interesting to see him go against the Wales/Italy
Same with Ashton and Foden, who had limited time last year

Do you think Simpson will get gametime at all? I personally hope he does, I think he's better for Care. What do you think? If nothing else,surely Simpson deserves to try where, if Care hasn't exactly failed, he's never actually ripped it up.

In general, think might depend on Lawes and Croft's replacements. E.g if Robshaw and another lock who isnt borthwick comes in they definitely will be players to watch.

Do you think Simpson will get gametime at all? I personally hope he does, I think he's better for Care. What do you think? If nothing else,surely Simpson deserves to try where, if Care hasn't exactly failed, he's never actually ripped it up.

In general, think might depend on Lawes and Croft's replacements. E.g if Robshaw and another lock who isnt borthwick comes in they definitely will be players to watch.

Hopefully Robshaw is called up and is played, though I think if he is called, Haskell and Worsely will be used before him
I think Borthwick is inevitable really =/

I'm a fan of Simpson, he's very nipped off of the back of a scrum/ruck and has a decent pass. I think for Italy they might start Care and have him on the bench.
If he overtakes Care in the pecking order, our starter/bench scrumhalves would have an average age of 21.5 :lol:

from the Irish point of view I'm looking forward to seeing O'Brien, Ross and Varley. Varley is very much the forgotten man in many debates but he has been good for Munster and is worth a go! IMO he should start v Italy

Warburton has been looking McCaw-esque in recent weeks. I think he might just be immense.

Bradley Davies. A horrendous beast of a man who I predict to step up and cause much pain.

Problem is, with a World Cup coming up, no one that new will be tried... so we know about everyone. And while I would love to see Sean O'Brien and Chris Robshaw tear up a pitch trying to outdo each other... it ain't gonna happen.

Ansbro I think could make an impression for Scotland.

I don't think he'll get a chance, but he might and if he does he could impress big time - Dan Tuohy. He's fallen behind in the pecking order, but the fact is if Ireland want an athletic, strong, ball carrying lock... he is their best option. Ireland have plenty of line out merchants and a fair few grunters, but in terms of making ground they seem a little thin on the ground. The fact he is ridicuously fast for a lock helps.

And for England... I think Fourie. I think Johnson might go Moody 6 Fourie 7, and Fourie's not a bad player.

England wise, I'd love to see a bit of James Gaskell coming on for Palmer late on. Croft injured - please can Robshaw start at 6??!! He'd be one to watch. Joe Simpson would be great, not just because I know his family, but cos Care's not progressed in the last few years. I'd pick Andy Saull at 7 right here right now too, but Johnson won't.

Seems Waldouck's injured again and I'd bet my house Johnson won't try anyone interesting in the centres.

France: nobody. I expect a crap performance from the team, and the customary pasting against England. I'll be happy if we beat the Irish...

France: nobody. I expect a crap performance from the team, and the customary pasting against England. I'll be happy if we beat the Irish...

Aye, that's the spirit

If it's any consolation, I expect Scotland to lose every game by 50 points, that way anything else is a bonus :D

Here's hoping that Jackson gets a full game, and makes an impact (a positive one that is)

John Barclay, Kelly Brown, Richie Vernon, Nicki Walker
I'm a big fan of Richie Vernon, really rate him highly, reckon we'll see some big performances from him for Scotland this year. Not sure about Nikki Walker, he's great for the Ospreys, but not sure that he's ever really tranferred that to the International stage. I'd expect the Lamont brothers to be taking up the wing spots with Paterson at fullback anyway.

Latest posts