• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

OTools for editing .O and .FSH files

What steps did you take you successfully export the head model back out of blender and into rugby 08
Select all objects in Blender (head, hair, skeleton) and export as a .gltf - seperate format, so I just get the model in the file. Then import the .gltf to model.o using Otools gui at the top of this thread, using the additional command:

-skeleton "data\skeleton\rugby\head_temp.o"

I forgot to delete the command from the first import but it seems to work anyway, don't know if it's necessary.

blenderexport.png
otoolsimport.png

Select all objects in Blender (head, hair, skeleton) and export as a .gltf - seperate format, so I just get the model in the file. Then import the .gltf to model.o using Otools gui at the top of this thread, using the additional command:

-skeleton "data\skeleton\rugby\head_temp.o"

I forgot to delete the command from the first import but it seems to work anyway, don't know if it's necessary.

View attachment 10507
View attachment 10508
Cheers! - my fault for not reading the bit about -skeleton "data\skeleton\rugby\head_temp.o" properly. Managed to get an existing player (Ian Balshaw) imported into blender and exported back out into the game matched up to the skeleton fine etc. So now I know I can edit the head model in blender (and texture in GIMP) at least - anything more than that in terms of substituting in a completely new facebuilder model it probably a bit above me for now. Will have a go at a face texture + model edit and see how it turns out

You need to transfer vertex-bone links from original game mesh to your new mesh.
There are few ways how to do this in Blender. I usually use "Transfer Data" modifier for this. For each vertex of your new mesh, Blender will find the closest vertex on original mesh and copy vertex-bone links.
But I can't find any tutorial which uses it too.
However I found this tutorial:

It's for Blender 2.7, but it must be similar in 2.8.

When Exporting .O to .GLTF, use -skeleton "data\skeleton\rugby\head_temp.o"
If you don't use it, then your .GLTF will not include skeleton and skinning.

When Importing .GLTF to .O, I use -skeletonData none
because original .O files didn't include skeleton. I don't know how it will work if you leave the skeleton in the model. Just make it as in original files, to prevent any possible conflicts.

Progress, Blender/facebuilder generated head onto a model in Rugby 08:

Untitled.pngUntitled.png

Last edited:
Had a first proper go at Jonny May - lots of cleaning up to do (mostly I need to figure out more about blender) but it's a start. Will probably have a go at a few other England players for now and come back and fix/improve players as I learn

Looks like some good progress jim - so you have managed to get a brand new head model attached?

Looks like some good progress jim - so you have managed to get a brand new head model attached?
Yes, I've managed to get a new model auto-rigged to the skeleton, now playing with texture mapping and some other stuff with the facebuilder plugin. I think it may be best to start a new forum thread to do discuss player heads further, I'll look at making a guide on how I've done it so far.

I've also tried to import a stadium into blender but with no luck, I can see the model has exported in Winodws 3d viewer ok but nothing loads in blender, any advice on this?

Another question, the player heads I've made so far all appear with weird lighting in-game, shiny with v dark shadows, any idea what causes this?

Untitled.png

I've also tried to import a stadium into blender but with no luck, I can see the model has exported in Winodws 3d viewer ok but nothing loads in blender, any advice on this?
Does Blender output error message?
Or maybe Blender loads it fine, but it's not visible because it's too big? If so, you can change viewport far/near clip values.
Video:

Another question, the player heads I've made so far all appear with weird lighting in-game, shiny with v dark shadows, any idea what causes this?
Did you apply correct materials? The material name must include the shader name. Can you show how your material look?
If materials are fine, then It can be also an issue with normals. Maybe try to invert normals on your model.

The material name must include the shader name.
That worked! Ading the proper texture name format in blender gave me dark textures but with correct lighting in Rugby 08, I also enabled "auto smooth normals" and the custom model is now working:
Biggar.png

That worked! Ading the proper texture name format in blender gave me dark textures but with correct lighting in Rugby 08, I also enabled "auto smooth normals" and the custom model is now working:
View attachment 10545
Wow nice - the hair texture looks quality. Definitely keen if you could make a tutorial on how you got this far - I'm still very fresh to anything in blender so fairly basic on the aspects I understand currently (even though Dmitri's tutorial has been really helpful)

Not exactly my favourite player but I wanted to replace Tom Rees model for Farrell so here is first attempt below.

Last edited:
Looking for some more help. I've found some stadium models on Sketchup and converted them to Blender, one has worked well:
Untitled2.png

and one has not, I can't work out why this one hasn't come through properly apart from a rubbish import from sketchup:

Untitled.png
Here's what it's like in blender:
Untitled.png

Maybe textures are wrong. Or vertex colors.
If the model uses textures with large names (more than 4 characters), Try to add
Code:
-genTexNames
flag.
For vertex colors, try
Code:
-setVCol 7F7F7FFF

Looking for some more help. I've found some stadium models on Sketchup and converted them to Blender, one has worked well:
View attachment 10610

and one has not, I can't work out why this one hasn't come through properly apart from a rubbish import from sketchup:

View attachment 10611
Here's what it's like in blender:
View attachment 10612
How do you keep the pads and flag poles textured? I've imported some stadiums, but the textures are missing in game on them? everything else works fine

Maybe textures are wrong. Or vertex colors.
If the model uses textures with large names (more than 4 characters), Try to add
Code:
-genTexNames
flag.
For vertex colors, try
Code:
-setVCol 7F7F7FFF
is there any list of all codes for the OTools program for each game it can work with?

How do you keep the pads and flag poles textured?

If you've generated blank textures when extracting your stadium files, when you repack the files into the fsh you probably also packed the blank textures for the posts etc. so the game loads these instead of the other graphics. Do not re-pack these into textures.fsh: flag, flgp, ads0 ads1 ads2 ads3, post, pada, padb, xbar.

If you've generated blank textures when extracting your stadium files, when you repack the files into the fsh you probably also packed the blank textures for the posts etc. so the game loads these instead of the other graphics. Do not re-pack these into textures.fsh: flag, flgp, ads0 ads1 ads2 ads3, post, pada, padb, xbar.
I actually export the textures afterwards, I don't export the model with the dummy textures, could that be the cause? everything else is textured 100%

Probably not, though if your modelling software can't find the textures listed above when initially importing the model it may cause issues with keeping the textures linked. If you're using Blender, what colour do the posts appear as in the preview window?

Probably not, though if your modelling software can't find the textures listed above when initially importing the model it may cause issues with keeping the textures linked. If you're using Blender, what colour do the posts appear as in the preview window?
"what colour do the posts appear as in the preview window?" = Purple

A pink/magenta/purple colour means the posts have a texture assigned but Blender can't find the texture image in your workspace. It usually looks for the texture in the folder your project is saved in, or a sub-folder called textures. Try adding pada.png, padb.png, post.png and xbar.png (follow instructions on page 1 to get dummy textures if needed) to your workspace and re-load the stadium in Blender. If you use the dummy textures the posts should show up white in Blender.

A pink/magenta/purple colour means the posts have a texture assigned but Blender can't find the texture image in your workspace. It usually looks for the texture in the folder your project is saved in, or a sub-folder called textures. Try adding pada.png, padb.png, post.png and xbar.png (follow instructions on page 1 to get dummy textures if needed) to your workspace and re-load the stadium in Blender. If you use the dummy textures the posts should show up white in Blender.
Thanks I will give it a go tonight, also the stadiums you are busy with have you managed to get the crowds to work?

Latest posts