• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Overseas SA players back in the fold?

S

Stormer

I read a few days ago at keo that Jake White has offered Andre Snyman (currenty playing for Leeds Tykes in England) a bok contract and all but assured him a place in the next World Cup squad if he accepts it, he also goes on to say he is watching Shaun Sowerby of Stade Francais very closely and if he keeps up his current form will probably get a call up too.

Is this the right way to go? when Jake White first became national coach, he brought back Jaco and Monty and they worked alright but are these 2 really worth it?

Snyman was the best centre in SA a while ago but since he broke his ankle he just wasn't the same not to mention he is 32!! And Sowerby seems to be playing ok for Stade Francais since the frogs coach asked if he could play for France, but we got a sh*tload of good loosies in SA so do we really need another who is playing all the way in France?

No we don't need them, there are better players in SA that deserve to be given a chance.

I don`t trust NH rugby, i really don`t know what`s playing there in terms of rugby competition.

Originally posted by Rassie@Mar 13 2006, 01:45 PM
I don`t trust NH rugby, i really don`t know what`s playing there in terms of rugby competition.
yes I agree, in NH you might appear to have a fantastic form and everything's going great but then when you get back to SH rugby you look like a schoolboy among the real pro's. Considering the quality of rugby being showcased through the 6 Nations I wouldn't take a player's NH form as a sure indicator. Bull is spot on too, we have better players in SA that deserves the chance, Snyman is over the Springbok hill.

Originally posted by Stormer@Mar 16 2006, 06:55 PM
Well he didn't have much of a choice... either us or the Cats! :D
:lol: No brainer that choice!!

Originally posted by Stormer@Mar 13 2006, 01:30 PM
I read a few days ago at keo that Jake White has offered Andre Snyman (currenty playing for Leeds Tykes in England) a bok contract and all but assured him a place in the next World Cup squad if he accepts it, he also goes on to say he is watching Shaun Sowerby of Stade Francais very closely and if he keeps up his current form will probably get a call up too.

Is this the right way to go? when Jake White first became national coach, he brought back Jaco and Monty and they worked alright but are these 2 really worth it?

Snyman was the best centre in SA a while ago but since he broke his ankle he just wasn't the same not to mention he is 32!! And Sowerby seems to be playing ok for Stade Francais since the frogs coach asked if he could play for France, but we got a sh*tload of good loosies in SA so do we really need another who is playing all the way in France?
Sowerby is not a centre as far as I know, he's in the back row. I don't know where you got the information that Laporte has asked wether Sowerby could play for France. He doesn't qualify and as far as I can see it's not in the back row that France would need fresh bllod but rather on the front row where Pieter de Villiers is not performing that well. I guess Laporte will try new props during the summer tour and you should see that in SA.

Read my post more carefully of course I know Sowerby is a backrower (or loosie). And I read about Laporte's interest in him a while back, do a search and type in Shaun Sowerby/Bernard Laporte something should come up.

Bring back Snyman - he was brilliant in his day, and what does it matter whether he's playing well against crappy opposition? If that's the only reason he's scoring tries, he'll soon be found out, and dropped - but give the bloke a chance.

I don't know if you kids have been watching, but our "quality" backs aren't exactly falling off trees. Marius Joubert is balding and pregnant, De Wet still aspires to be in the WWE, and the Bulls Brothers at centre still need to introduce themselves to Messers Habana and Ndungane as I don't think they're aware of their existance...

Latest posts