Patch 1.01 Release - Xbox 360 and PS3

HB_Glen

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Australia
Hey Guys,

So we have made mention previously that we have been working on a patch for Rugby World Cup 2011 and we were aiming to have it out prior to the release of the game. We were informed today that the Xbox 360 Patch Version 1.01 should go live on Friday August 26th. At this point we don’t have a definitive date for the PS3 patch as it is currently in submission but we will let you know the date when we know more information on that.

Here are some of the issues that we have addressed as part of this patch:

- Improvements have been made to the CPU decision making logic at the end of games particularly when behind on the scoreboard.
- Addressed an exploit around losing lineout throws close to your own line, particularly when thrown to the back and intercepted by bringing the throwing teams line up to the goal line when line outs are taken within 15 metres of the goal line
- Winning a lineout close to the opposition line with a throw to the front often led to easy push over type tries from a maul. We have made it more difficult to push as the attacking team in this scenario and as the defensive team you have more chance of preventing the push over.
- Addressed the exploit that allows you to constantly put up and unders into the air and catch them with minimal effort to advance down the pitch on all difficulty levels.
- When attempting to take an up and under or attempting to catch any high ball and dropping it forward, you would regularly not be called for a knock-on. We have now addressed this bug.
- Drop Goals no longer count if the ball has just been played from a scrum or from any free kick until the following phase. You can still attempt the drop goal but the points won’t count.
- Particularly on the Hard Difficulty setting when playing with weaker teams it was incredibly difficult to maintain possession at a ruck. We have played around with the balancing at the breakdown and it should make the ruck breakdown less frustrating and minimize the instant turnovers on Hard with weaker teams, whilst still maintaining the difficulty
- Reduced the angle at which you can maneuver the kicking arrow for conversions and penalties to reduce the chance of exploiting penalty kicks by moving the arrow far left or far right and putting no power on them and running over for an easy pick-up try.

These will be the most noticeable changes as part of this patch. We are continuing to watch for your input on the forums and are continuing to fix issues that you are encountering where we can.

We are aware of the issue around the high tackle 50 metre penalty shot issue and things such as Stephen Ferris having the incorrect skin colour which are issues that we are definitely looking to address in a later patch. Our intent was to address what we could prior to the game hitting shelves. Rest assured though we are taking notice and intend to address these and some other issues as soon as we can.

Cheers,
Glen

I have found a couple of times that passing the ball backwards over the dead ball line leads to a 22m drop out to you, rather than a 5m scrum to the opposition.

Cheers Glen, So I am guessing you guys are busy whilst Alastair is jetting around the UK and Ireland... He gets all the fun ;-)

We are definately still in the Rugby frame of mind here
As to whether AJ is having fun - well... he might have met Stephen Ferris today so that may not have been so fun.
Otherwise I'm sure he is having a blast :)

I have found a couple of times that passing the ball backwards over the dead ball line leads to a 22m drop out to you, rather than a 5m scrum to the opposition.
In this event where were you located when you threw it over the dead ball line and had you actually retrieved the ball in the in-goal? or perhaps were you in the field of play when you passed the ball over the dead-ball line?

Can you guys do anything with regards to the players "bunching" and the ball coming out too slow resulting in you losing the numbers mismatch advantage?
Also found that sometimes when you 5 meters from the try line, instead of diving for the tryline, the ball carrier attempts to kick the ball.

Both times passed the ball back over the goal line myself, losing the ball and having it roll back into the dead ball area.

You need to update it with the world cup squads tbf, Plus some of the players are majorly overrated for example Flood 90? You're joking right? And thats coming from a Leicester Tigers fan.

Hey Mario, no date for it yet unfortunately. Will be posting in here as soon as I know the date though.

Hate it when you give away a penalty in the opponent's 22 then they go for the posts and it is automatically brought up to the half way. Hate how forwards can slot drop goals from outside the 22 and near the touchline, frustrating. Hate how J du Blessis can do a chip kick over Foden, beat him to the ball, do a BOD pick up, break a tackle and then score. Why have u changed the game of the drop goal from a scrum. The most stupidest thing I have ever heard. this game is the most unrealistic piece of **** ever. Sorry for speaking French but it is so annoying

Hey Mario, no date for it yet unfortunately. Will be posting in here as soon as I know the date though.

Sweet. Might pick up the 360 version as well then. PS3 copy got some good play around the office yesterday.

so do the drop goals in this game match the real life rules for drop goals or are they just close?

what is the issue with generic kits for england ireland etc in international test mode?

Nice to see both companies supporting each other :D
With the up and under glitch, would that count for re-starts too? Had a bit of a tournament with my mates tonight and we noticed that from a restart/up and under it will always seem to be caught by the player that was running rather than the defending player who was standing still waiting for the kick.

Last edited:
Bullitt got me with that a few times earlier tonight (the kick off glitch/catch thing)

Bullitt got me with that a few times earlier tonight (the kick off glitch/catch thing)

Annoying isn;t it?
Btw, my mate had 2 very close losses playing as Wales against England on Medium, he could not seem to stop England scoring when they went for the cross kicks. Anyone know a decent way of defending them?

Figured we would wait and see a bit on this particular instance. We didn't feel that it was a huge exploit like the Up and Under was but if it does prove to be a major issue for you guys then we will consider looking into this one too.

and yes, I do look forward to giving Rugby Challenge a go myself... just need to get my hands on a copy. Mighty Ape might be the way to go, bought stuff from them online in the past.

Last edited:
Annoying isn;t it?
Btw, my mate had 2 very close losses playing as Wales against England on Medium, he could not seem to stop England scoring when they went for the cross kicks. Anyone know a decent way of defending them?

setting up a wide defence should help, as although it'll leave centre cover fairly bare, the wide players will have extra defensive cover. it also doesn't help if you've got a big guy like banahan or cueto trying to outleap shane williams lol the man's an absolute rugby genius but he's a tiny little dit and so is leigh halfpenny!

Latest posts