Paul O'Connell Retires

munstermuffin

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
A legend of the game who went out in typical leader fashion.

A top player and a super man. Best of luck in future pastures Paulie. ! of the greatest to play in my eyes.

Retired completely - cancelled his Toulon contract?

I assume that's because of the injury he got in the WC. Real shame if so - if anyone ever deserved a big late-career payday amongst a bunch of Galacticos on the French Riviera it's Paul O'Connell.

Retired completely - cancelled his Toulon contract?

I assume that's because of the injury he got in the WC. Real shame if so - if anyone ever deserved a big late-career payday amongst a bunch of Galacticos on the French Riviera it's Paul O'Connell.

Yea hamstring worst recovering and long term health more important. Yea he deserved the payday but he went out in a true Paulie way sacrificing his body for bigger cause.

Real shame for him, never good to see a player forced out of the game.

Everyone needs to lock down their second rows now as Toulon will be on the prowl.

Belonged to a great generation of Second Rows, Botha, Matfield, Wyn Jones, Thorn etc... (We'll leave MJ in the previous generation to avoid too much outrage with what I'm about to say!) It's hard to argue he wasn't the best of them, a warrior to the very end and a true winner and leader. Sad way to see him go, especially when his last campaign which promised so much was lost to his own injury and injuries to his most important lieutenants.

....yes it is.

All due respect to the guy I'd have Thorn and Matfield above him.

Worded poorly, it's arguable. He'd definitely be in the starting XV of the era, he was a better player than Thorn due to his superior line out work and intelligence, probably helped by Thorn's time in league, and was a far more consistent performer than Matfield throughout their careers, again helped by Matfield's less than stellar return to the sport.

....yes it is.

All due respect to the guy I'd have Thorn and Matfield above him.

It's debatable both ways personally I'd have Matfield and POC as the 2 best of that generation but it's like all things. They were all great players. Genuinely world class and an argument could be made for them all.

On POC alone looking back over his career it is amazing to see like in last 3-4 years he was probably better than ever. The way he played on for a scrum with a broken arm for Lions, that tackle against Aus in 79th min, the way he demented Wales in 6 Nations last year. (Yes Wales win but he was amazing).

The man is a true gent off field and class act on it.

Also I may be bias but I think he's been the greatest captain in last 20 years or so. Yes I know Johnson was a class act and McCaw and I'm being a bit bias but well I just said I'd throw it in there.

Last edited:
Nah Johnson was best captain in last 20 years IMO.

Would have POC and Thorn as best locks of that gen then Matfield.

Worded poorly, it's arguable. He'd definitely be in the starting XV of the era, he was a better player than Thorn due to his superior line out work and intelligence, probably helped by Thorn's time in league, and was a far more consistent performer than Matfield throughout their careers, again helped by Matfield's less than stellar return to the sport.

Hold on. Although he was past his prime (no great surprise as he's 38 years old and had taken 2/3 years in retirement), the very fact he made it back to the international team in a nation that produces world class locks for fun is an achievement in itself.

POC would be my pick in a greatest European team of the past 15 years (alongside Johnson). But for a World XV, I would say Matfield rates as the best #5. When they were both in their prime in the 2009 Lions series Matfield outplayed him.

Hold on. Although he was past his prime (no great surprise as he's 38 years old and had taken 2/3 years in retirement), the very fact he made it back to the international team in a nation that produces world class locks for fun is an achievement in itself.

POC would be my pick in a greatest European team of the past 15 years (alongside Johnson). But for a World XV, I would say Matfield rates as the best #5. When they were both in their prime in the 2009 Lions series Matfield outplayed him.

I think I'd rate POC higher but again there's a lot to back up either side. POC has outplayed him at times too and it's hard to pin it down to Lions tour etc. Both in my opinion were the 2 best lineout readers at peak of their powers and always complimented each other in the press about that.

IMO the greatest lock of all time. Obviously Matfield comes close, but I feel that most of what Matfield offered was in the lineout, whereas POC was phenomenal in the loose too. Two greats of the game, and it's a sad day to see Paulie retire.

Tribute paid to Paul O'Connel by Fabien Pelous (ex France U20 coach and current DOR at Stade Toulousain)

'Our paths met when I was coming to the end of my career and when he was at the peak of his (Pelous ended his career in 2007, O'Connell started his in 2002). He did make me realise what playing 2nd row was about to become. He's left a mark on Ireland and Munster but above all on the role of a 2nd row at world level. He had an impact on his team mates as much as on his opponents (...)

We didn't say much to each other. But he was never very aggressive on the pitch, didn't try to provoke his opponent. He was very much an impact player who knew how to pressure the opposition.

He is the only foreign player I've texted when he announced his retirement to show him my respect.'

http://www.lequipe.fr/Rugby/Actualites/L-hommage-de-fabien-pelous-a-paul-o-connell/633134

Last edited:
Does not matter who is better than who! POC was a doyen for Ireland and the Lions and has the respect of all true rugby supporters!

I for one am happy that he has gone into retirement rather than taking a pay day with Toulon when he may well have been past his best (perhaps through injury)...

Thanks for the memories and hope I am lucky enough to see and meet you on the dinner circuit where I am sure you will be entertaining!!!

Latest posts