• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Perpignan v Munster

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 21 2009, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is this the point where everyone starts bigging up Munster again and the Bandwaggon riders trade in their blue shirts for red?[/b]
Ha Teh no band wagon in Munster and trust me u get no Blue Jerseys down here :p

And lets be honest not much to get back on yet, 1 game isn't making us great.
We know Saints will come fired up and Perpignan could easily have ended us in Thomond last week.

An awful lot of them (as in "Lifelong Leinster fans") appeared out of the woodwork following the Crooke Park match last year while the phrase "I was there in 1978" hasn't been said so much. I sense yet another disturbance in the force.

Couldn't watch the game as I was at the in-laws' with the missus. Read de Villiers scored a try but could anyone give me any feedback as to how he played? I didn't even know he was playing (also du Preez). I really hoped he would get more gametime at Munster because as invisible as he can be at times I have also seen some magic from him over the years.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 21 2009, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
An awful lot of them (as in "Lifelong Leinster fans") appeared out of the woodwork following the Crooke Park match last year while the phrase "I was there in 1978" hasn't been said so much. I sense yet another disturbance in the force.[/b]
Ha Teh wasn't born then :lol: Seen DVD tho :p

But how ye shapin up Teh, were ye disappointed about mssing out on BP (although not bad result)

And Geraghty dropped was that a rest or what ???

Still expects Saints on a Cold January in Thomond to be cracker.

And ha while i cheered for Leinster in H'Cup last year n wish them well this year,
Munster for Life.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 21 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 21 2009, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
An awful lot of them (as in "Lifelong Leinster fans") appeared out of the woodwork following the Crooke Park match last year while the phrase "I was there in 1978" hasn't been said so much. I sense yet another disturbance in the force.[/b]
Ha Teh wasn't born then :lol: Seen DVD tho :p [/b][/quote]

Doesn't stop most of the Jonny-come-lateleys! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
But how ye shapin up Teh, were ye disappointed about mssing out on BP (although not bad result)

Still expects Saints on a Cold January in Thomond to be cracker.[/b]

I think Geraghty was dropped because he's been varying between adequate and garbage since his time with the England camp (Newcastle away aside). I was expecting a 5 pointer against Treviso this weekend, but after seeing the match I was pleased with the win alone. If Munster play like this week (which was actually outstanding and completely unexpected) they should get a big win in the next round, but if they fall asleep again as the non HEC form suggests, there is every chance Treviso could cause an upset - They're brutal up front and Rizzo had Murray on toast for large parts. Fernandez-Rouyet will cause lots of problems for Horan.

Agreed that it's shaping up for a ding-dong at Thommund park - Provided Saints get the result against USAP.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 21 2009, 11:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 21 2009, 10:51 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Dec 21 2009, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ha Teh wasn't born then :lol: Seen DVD tho :p [/b][/quote]

Doesn't stop most of the Jonny-come-lateleys! :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

Still expects Saints on a Cold January in Thomond to be cracker.[/b]

I think Geraghty was dropped because he's been varying between adequate and garbage since his time with the England camp (Newcastle away aside). I was expecting a 5 pointer against Treviso this weekend, but after seeing the match I was pleased with the win alone. If Munster play like this week (which was actually outstanding and completely unexpected) they should get a big win in the next round, but if they fall asleep again as the non HEC form suggests, there is every chance Treviso could cause an upset - They're brutal up front and Rizzo had Murray on toast for large parts. Fernandez-Rouyet will cause lots of problems for Horan.

Agreed that it's shaping up for a ding-dong at Thomond park - Provided Saints get the result against USAP.
[/b][/quote]

Ha sure Thomond had 200,000 that day :p

But is Geraghty gone that bad like altho you could see his confidence was damaged when with England.
But will be happy with just 2 wins and then top group like if we were to win 8 more points it should get a home draw.
But we'll be aware of Treviso seen as they shook ye up and caught Perpignan, and Italian Rugby is gradually improving.
They could hurt us in scrums.

Also Stuart Barnes summed it up perfect Munster away in H'Cup is totally different animal than in ML

i really hope people dont begin to get carried away..yes it was a good performance and a magnificent achievement, backs against the wall stuff and all that but thats why they played so well.. will they do it when the pressure is off..i hope so..lets get back to reality here.. first to the negatives from the extended highlights i saw.. had Christmas party yesturday...

Midfield:
i love mafis attitude and thought at one stage he was turning out to be an international centre but his game hasnt developed any further and seems to be lost with tipoke gone.. will find it hard to retain the no. 12 jersey from a seemingly rejuvenated JDV. Id rather see earls used in the back three as he is the best strike runner in the squad yet there is no clear alternative option at 13. the midfield is abit in the air at the moment.

Defense:
still conceeded a soft try, once again on howletts wing, now i know he tracked his opposite wing infield but that try was innovative admittedly but cheap from a munster point of view.. the concession of such tries is happening, happened yesturday and munster will not win a HC if they continue to cough these up. Howlett is also drawing a small bit of attention but the guy is a serious chaser for the garryown and his blood and guts are in this squad.. people calling for his head would want their heads examined...

the hype...
it is impossible to dismiss but people on here and in the media are already talking about munster in the quarters (and this relates to leinster too) and how the irish teams could be the favourites.. personally this rags the hell outa me and as people have stated..the bandwagons are rolling in... just look at whats out there...clermont, toulouse stade, biarritz, ospreys, etc. enough said! let us take one game at a time please.

and the positives for me:

The pack:
once again the pack delivered the axe that was required to sleigh perpignan. denis leamy winning the ball by putting his head in where perpignan wouldnt put their boot summerised it all for me. he is reaching his potential this season.. handling and on the deck he was immense yesturday.. the scrum held reasonably well and thankfull fogarty found his targets quickly. i was in the fogarty no no camp but kudos to him for delivering consistently yesturday.. Paulie is a legend lads, lineouted the shite out of it and carried like a man posessed.. he is immense.. and finally wallace.. he struck the perpignan defense in the heart with his direct running yesturday.. gives the team great go forward ball.. the game was won in the trenches yesturday and munster pulled out the bigger guns..

The tries:
3 of them were typical munster fashion.. the pack grinding their way up the paddock, squeezed the life out of perpignan and drove over hard... De villiers was a thing of magic which is rare for a munster team if we are to be honest.. i didnt think he had those steps in his arsenal or that pace for that matter.. he glided through the cover magnificently and made that try all by himself.. it wasnt the pass, it was the step and the accelaration.. for me we couldnt buy a try this season and to get four in france is dreamland material..

JDV.
first and foremost, he is a world champion.. it is hard to dismiss that fact, plus i would consider him a world class operator. i think he has suffered from playing in a springbok squad that restrict creative rugby and it is right to suggest he has been playing with jet lag. after seeing him make that try out of nothing and knowing his calibre i believe he will gain confidence, claim the no 12 jersey and proove a seriously valuable signing to munster.. being irish, you will understand the statement, "it is abit irish".. so i think we have all been harshly critical of the guy.. there was nearly as much hype in muster about him signing as there was in the states when obama ran for president.. " sure we'll win all before us now with DV in the squad" and then when he didnt set the world alight the pitch forks were out. typical irish.. hes not jona lumo so lets just give the guy a chance and let him win his own battle in midfield and his job is done. get us a try like that every once in a while and we'l be singing..

The Breakdown:
has to be mentioned and praised.. these guys are masters of the dark arts in the dirt.. 16 turnovers is some feat against french oppostion.. dogs of war and harassement.. and it must be stated that the amount of ball munster always turnover is significantly higher than most club teams. they would be all the more lethal with an out an out poacher but the collective ability of the backrow make up for that chink. it was the difference yesturday and a fundamental to winning the game.. it allowed them to attack the gain line and make easier yards through a disjointed defense.. this area cannot ever be underestimated.

thats my two pence on the game.. i wish i couldve seen it live but had to do with highlights.. they have alot done but alot more to do and no one knows that better than themselves... the henicken cup is the shizzle all the same.. love this crack!!

Macado agree with u on alot there but pople goin on about QF spots because at worst in a best runner-up Leinster and probably Munster look 1 foot in but come Quarter Final time anyone can beat anyone on day.

Agree Mafi isnt same without Tipoki tho and JDV is probably better option at 12 but Earls is a 13 as he hasn't got hands for full-back (or kicking game) and on wing he is rarely used effectively.

As for Howlett, I disagree with the blaming him for try as he (like any winger) followed his man,
-After last week Munster should have been alert to them moves
-Hooker should be standing at front like a pillar and nail anyone who even thinks of it.

But lads don't know about this bandwagon crap as we all know there nothin done yet and we still need to prove form is consistently back.

Also Stringer did well yesterday and his pass was very effective at that stage in game after Tomas was magnificent and really stood up

Their try scored down Howlett's wing? :lol:

Perpignan once again exposed that we bring our blind side winger into the 10 spot to compensate for ROG when defending a full lineout, he can't be in two places at once. Howlett had a fine game yesterday, as did everybody tbh.

Saffers, Wian Du Preez has been excellent every game he has played in, nothing extraordinary, but does his jobs extremely well with very few mistakes, would love to hold on to him for the knockout stages.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 21 2009, 04:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Perpignan once again exposed that we bring our blind side winger into the 10 spot to compensate for ROG when defending a full lineout, he can't be in two places at once. Howlett had a fine game yesterday, as did everybody tbh.

Saffers, Wian Du Preez has been excellent every game he has played in, nothing extraordinary, but does his jobs extremely well with very few mistakes, would love to hold on to him for the knockout stages.[/b]

Is there a date set on when he is coming back to SA?

His contract expires a few days after we play Northampton in January, so he should be back to the Cheetahs well before S14.

Did anyone sense this sense of complacency with the perpignan team, or was it just the sky sports commentators prophetically ranting on the whole time saying how nobody ever stands a chance away to perpignan and how munter'll be lucky to get a losing BP.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 21 2009, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
His contract expires a few days after we play Northampton in January, so he should be back to the Cheetahs well before S14.[/b]

Well the Cheetahs don't have too many "superstars" other than Juan Smith, Brüssow and du Preez so I can't see them letting du Preez staying any longer than his contract permits him to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 21 2009, 04:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did anyone sense this sense of complacency with the perpignan team, or was it just the sky sports commentators prophetically ranting on the whole time saying how nobody ever stands a chance away to perpignan and how munter'll be lucky to get a losing BP.[/b]

Sure Stuart Barnes himself was quite prophetic when he said in his Saturday article (the Times I think) that Munster were not going to France to write History, but to become History.

To be honest, its very difficult to prepare for any team when they come at you like Munster did. The ferocity at the breakdown was pretty special and unless your up for it from the first moment its very hard to really get going.

I'd say there was a bit of complacency, and rightly so if you ask me, but I dont put this down to Perpignan losing the game, I think Munster just put in a special performance. In the same way Munster received it against Leinster, Perpignan had to last weekend. Got help the next team to travel to play there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 21 2009, 02:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Saffers, Wian Du Preez has been excellent every game he has played in, nothing extraordinary, but does his jobs extremely well with very few mistakes, would love to hold on to him for the knockout stages.[/b]
i didnt blame howlett for the try only merely pointed it came down his wing as did last week.. and i agree from what i saw he had a fine game.. ive read a few posters saying he should be dropped for dowling?????? crazy!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macado @ Dec 22 2009, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
i didnt blame howlett for the try only merely pointed it came down his wing as did last week.. and i agree from what i saw he had a fine game.. ive read a few posters saying he should be dropped for dowling?????? crazy![/b]
No blame for the try, but he messes up alot of his chases and his tackling is a bit feeble.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 21 2009, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Macado @ Dec 22 2009, 04:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i didnt blame howlett for the try only merely pointed it came down his wing as did last week.. and i agree from what i saw he had a fine game.. ive read a few posters saying he should be dropped for dowling?????? crazy![/b]
No blame for the try, but he messes up alot of his chases and his tackling is a bit feeble.
[/b][/quote]
ya but its when he actually lands the clinger of a tackle and a turnover from a high kick like v perpignan last week.. really lifts the crowd and the team.

Latest posts