• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Petulant Tw*t at it again

Fits recent form for England captains - Borthwick, Moody, Tindall. For that matter, going back further - Corry, Vickery, Wilkinson.

All over-rated or well past it players.

Meehan has tipped Banahan to be the future Bath and ENGLAND captain

The mind boggles, it really really does.
Then again, we had Borthwick for a while, so anything is possible :(

Oh dear god. When I watch England, I get mixed up between Banahan and Easter as they look quite similar in appearance on the TV and have comparable rates of acceleration.

I really don't understand the lovefest for Banahan, especially during the Wasps-Bath match (although, to be fair, they were also gushing about all the sub-20 year old Wasps players. For about 10 minutes. And Joe Simpson...there's another one...). The guy doesn't seem to possess much of a rugby brain and for some reason all the pundits forget that he got absolutely schooled by BOD and co - he was constantly out in no-man's land when he should've been organising the defence. Actually, whilst we're on the subject of Wasps-Bath and ridiculously average players, I only noticed Riki Flutey was playing in the 50th minute. And laughed.

Apologies for the slight diversion...I've been seriously unimpressed with Armitage in the last couple of years, with both his play and with his attitude. Whilst this isn't quite on the Bakkies Scale, it's pretty low (and not to mention on someone smaller than him, I'm surprised he didn't go after Digger). I have to say though, SMyler was a warrior in the last 15 minutes of that game. Kept on going and putting his body on the line despite the various knocks. It's times like that I'm glad ROG doesn't play for Saints. Well, actually, all the time.

I have no problem with commentators saying players like Billy Vunipola and Elliot Daly are real talents. They are, and to be playing at that level as an 18 year old is impressive. Equally, I could have gushed over Joe Simpson since he seems to have carried Wasps through half their games this season. Certainly when they played us at Wembley he was the only thing stopping Wasps from looking like a Championship side.

Lol at Banahan as a future England captain. He would have gone from:

a 2nd row who wasn't good enough so moved to...
Wing, where he has some fun running at some weak Premiership defences for a few seasons until...
Outside Centre vacancy opens up in the England team and his bish-bash style fits in well with the coaches' obsession...
then an over-enthusiastic club coach decides to move him to Inside Centre, where he scores 2 tries on the back of other people's hard work and some shocking defence, and then...
Captain of Bath, who of course are an amazing club despite not winning anything for ages and producing some decidedly average rugby a lot of the time...
but being Captain of Bath means he must also be in the frame for England, and naturally as Captain. By this time he's moved further inside and is wearing England's 10 shirt - our very own Gavin Hume.

October 2011 - Matt Banahan, England's Captain and fly half, drop-kicks England to World Cup Glory. "It was all down to my mentor, Dewi Morris" says Banahan after collecting his knighthood from the Queen.

Meehan is only coming up with these comments because he is history, he is bidding his final farewell to english rugby and doesn't care what anyone thinks...simples.

As for Banahan, he isn't invincible and against Ireland he showed little but then again no-one really showed much. The reason why he has been tipped as future Bath captain is because he has a good head on him these days. He in constantly trying to improve his game (which he has in terms of handling and speed) and he has a commanding presence amongst the Bath squad(currently). Bath captain in the making? Certainly. England? Wait and see... once the old leaders have moved on it will be interesting to say the least.

As for Armitage (as I veer ever so slightly towrds the topic!), he is a bit of a muppet and a severe waste of talent. These outbursts win him no allies and further dampen any chance of international glory in the future. I prefer Ojo as he is more of a tactical threat IMHO and hasn't resorted to punching/threatening everything around the pitch.

m0rris

Good. Hope he gets banned for a long time.

In reality, he'll get a 2 month ban... It'll end a week before the new season starts. <_<

Good. Hope he gets banned for a long time.

In reality, he'll get a 2 month ban... It'll end a week before the new season starts. <_<

What's the length of ban should he serve in reality?

yes, it is not a great. armitage has gone to far abeit again but whats the big deal? this is a contact sport guys why is everybody crying!? i play in games every weekend with ****les off the ball and no one sits there blubbing after the game? just man up and get on with it. totally agree with the citing but its not worth filming and ranting on about, its done. it wasnt that many seasons ago the heartly got done for gouging, but im not going to sit here and slag him off untill the sun comes up. its a rough game boys!

yes, it is not a great. armitage has gone to far abeit again but whats the big deal? this is a contact sport guys why is everybody crying!? i play in games every weekend with ****les off the ball and no one sits there blubbing after the game? just man up and get on with it. totally agree with the citing but its not worth filming and ranting on about, its done. it wasnt that many seasons ago the heartly got done for gouging, but im not going to sit here and slag him off untill the sun comes up. its a rough game boys!

Still does not excuse what he did. It maybe a contact sport but assault is not a part of it.

armitage has gone to far abeit again but whats the big deal? this is a contact sport guys why is everybody crying!?
Why don't we go to the nearest ballet shop, get some tutus and get a dancing shop going? There will be no eye-gouging, no tackling, no nothing and we will enjoy it!
Peter-de-Villiers.jpg

5 Seasons ago to be precise. You know how many bans and cards he's had since then? 10 yellow cards, 0 bans. 2 yellow cards a year on average. Not banned once.

You know how many bans and cards Armitage has recieved in that time?

**** poor, weak, predictable deflection argument bringing up Hartley to defend any player whenever some arsehole happens to have behaved like a twat against Northampton. This year alone I've seen the same thing for Azam, Rees and (although to a lesser extent from a minority of idiots) Cueto.

ha ha ha its just not that important mate, get over it. im saying it because i support irish i just dont think its worth crying over, seen worse.the ref thing he did was bad becuse there should be more respect. however it wasnt a deflection arguement i was simply pointing out that northhampton players are human and cross the line too hence i pointed out that wont slag off heartly as i think he is actually a great player. foden has been done for some off feild antics too, again a great player and far better than armitage for england. i just dont see the need for the big fuss. these things happen, in loads of games its a rough sport, its rugby and thats why i love it.

So why bring them up (and now Foden too I notice) if you're not attempting to deflect the attention?

Armitage is the little ******** who routinely behaves like a Detford chav with his reputation for constant gobbing off and cheep shots - If he were a boxer, he's the sort who'd swing a punch after the round has finished. The bloke has gone beyond an "abrasive player" and evolved into a lowlife scumshite.

Nuts to him. Rugby would be better off without.

ha ha love it look mate im not defending the player im just pointing out that youve made a big deal out of it because it's happened to a northhampton player. these things happen, other players fom other teams including your own try it on and its dealt with, why do you feel the need to slap down certain players that arn't signing for,playing for or have had a fisty cuffs with northhampton?

To be fair, Armitage is a douche.
and I don't like Stephen Myler very much, so you can't accuse me of bias

ha ha ha its just not that important mate, get over it. im saying it because i support irish i just dont think its worth crying over, seen worse.the ref thing he did was bad becuse there should be more respect. however it wasnt a deflection arguement i was simply pointing out that northhampton players are human and cross the line too hence i pointed out that wont slag off heartly as i think he is actually a great player. foden has been done for some off feild antics too, again a great player and far better than armitage for england. i just dont see the need for the big fuss. these things happen, in loads of games its a rough sport, its rugby and thats why i love it.

Oooh you betta watch what you say around Bullitt boy

You can hardly bring Foden issue into it,
The lad went out got ****** and was questioned by cops for an incident (And wasn't charged), Now I've been around alot of rugby teams in my time and have yet to meet a dry team. Foden incident happens 100's of teams yearly and he was just unlucky 1 to be put in papers.
My issue with Armitage is alot of his actions are produced through cockiness or just been arrogant. If it was a 1 off or he was a player who plays in the heat of the moment then fair enough but he seems to be a guy who thinks he's the 2nd coming.....

ha ha love it look mate im not defending the player im just pointing out that youve made a big deal out of it because it's happened to a northhampton player. these things happen, other players fom other teams including your own try it on and its dealt with, why do you feel the need to slap down certain players that arn't signing for,playing for or have had a fisty cuffs with northhampton?

Oh good, this uneducated **** again.

I suggest you check my post history before spouting utter ******** like that.

mtymon: Bullitt isn't outraged because it was foul play against Northampton, it is because it is Delon Armitage committing foul play when he has only just come back from a ban, and constantly acts like an idiot on the pitch. Read the ***le of the thread; its about Armitage.

We all know that foul play happens - it is part of the sport, and such why players are generally not taken to court over such incidents as it is considered part of the 'playing-culture' of Rugby. If the same thing happened in Football you can bet they would go to court. The fact that you say 'it happens so its OK' is wrong. Fighting and off the ball incidents are not part of the rules or the spirit of the game so it can never be condoned.

Armitage had/has(debatable) great potential as an England player, and who knows, if he had kept his head then him and Foden could have been a really tough choice for the starting 15. As it stands he is well off Foden and isn't even, IMO, deserving of a squad position at all.

Not wishing to deflect from Armitage being a tosser at all, but since Hartley's name's been brought in to this I have to say Delon and Dylan are not too dissimilar. Hartley may not have been banned for 5 years but he's been involved in several incidents since and been incredibly lucky not to be cited on a few occasions - vs NZ last Autumn for starters.

Personally I'd rather have a Thompson and a Foden who don't behave like arseholes all the time, but being an arsehole doesn't make you a bad player... Bakkies Botha is the most salient example, and none of us would stop him from playing for our team.