• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Pool 2 (Connacht, Toulouse, Wasps, Zebre)

One good round in the tournament and look at the Irish (on behalf of the pro12 of course) go!

ulster didnt cover themselves in glory..some terrible decision making not to get losing bonus point

Yeah Ulster were shocking. Bordeaux aren't a great team, but they're a tough away game to be sure, so no need for panic buttons. Ulster seriously lack any dog in the pack and have very few quality forwards beyond Hendo and Best (and Herring), which is frustrating given the back talent they have. They also really miss McCloskey's penetration. Really a lot of their flowing back play comes from the defenders he sucks in.
Connacht have a pretty good opportunity in this pool. I would be shocked to see them beat the Wasps but bonus points aren't out of the question. Zebre have to be bonus point wins this time round, they were abject last round so Connacht can't repeat the near disaster they had a few weeks ago. Toulouse could easily lose interest after they encounter a high powered Wasps team.

connacht aee capable of beating wasps..but injuries to buckley and quin roux seriously weakened the scrum..wasps would demolish us where toluose coundnt take advantage..ya not panic stations yet for ulster but next game is a must win now for them.

connacht aee capable of beating wasps..but injuries to buckley and quin roux seriously weakened the scrum..wasps would demolish us where toluose coundnt take advantage..ya not panic stations yet for ulster but next game is a must win now for them.
I really don't think they are, a good defensive team who are clinical beats Connacht 10 times out of 10.

Ulster are out I'm afraid, won't get a point in Clermont, Sandy Park is probably a step too far, three home wins is their best hope.

wasps have a great squad but your making them out to be unbeatable alpha? wouldn't be surprised if they are beaten in france at the weekend.

I'm not going to speak in definites with Connacht but they need to be twice as good as they were last week and find a scrum from somewhere. The rugby they played was expansive positive and a joy to watch but they were miserable in defence at times. Wasps will really run up the scoreboard if they're that loose again.

wasps have a great squad but your making them out to be unbeatable alpha? wouldn't be surprised if they are beaten in france at the weekend.

Unbeatable in this group as far as I'm concerned. Toulouse are dire in attack and Connacht showed their defence is easily breakable, they were in the game last week solely because of a nervous Connacht 1st half performance, it might be close because going to the Ernest-Wallon can be tough but Wasps will score more tries and win.

Connacht are a very good side but they're so dangerous because most sides don't want to play the loose, open game that they force upon opposition, Wasps are more than happy to play that way and they're probably better at it with a better back three and halfbacks while giving little away in midfield to the Westerners as well as having a pack who can beat sides up too. I'll give Connacht a slight hope if it's ******* down in the Sportsground because they somehow still manage to play their way in that weather but I just can't see anything apart from Wasps coming out of this group with 27-28 points.

wasps defence wasnt great against zebra last week...and they were well beaten by sarries in the prem the week before. Toulouse will be looking to turn them over

wasps defence wasnt great against zebra last week...and they were well beaten by sarries in the prem the week before. Toulouse will be looking to turn them over

A maul and an interception for Zebre, when Wasps were a bit too loose, in the second half they stopped them convincingly. Against Sarries it was an extremely close thing until the last 15 minutes or so, normally a time of strength for Wasps, but so many frontline players out meant our bench wasn't as strong as normal. And doing some classic if A then B, seeing as Sarries just beat Toulon in Toulon, and Toulon beat Toulouse in Toulouse, I'm confident enough that Wasps will at least challenge them. I'm not sure of the win by a long way, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they lost, but I don't think I can easily call it either way.

A maul and an interception for Zebre, when Wasps were a bit too loose, in the second half they stopped them convincingly. Against Sarries it was an extremely close thing until the last 15 minutes or so, normally a time of strength for Wasps, but so many frontline players out meant our bench wasn't as strong as normal. And doing some classic if A then B, seeing as Sarries just beat Toulon in Toulon, and Toulon beat Toulouse in Toulouse, I'm confident enough that Wasps will at least challenge them. I'm not sure of the win by a long way, and it wouldn't be a surprise if they lost, but I don't think I can easily call it either way.

exactly..wasps will be favourites for the toulouse game but i wouldnt put money on them winning. will be a close game. same as when they meet connacht.

Aye, 20 quid returns me 33.33, I'll add Connacht and Saracens to get it (just under) evens. Free money when I sort a VPN to a nice place that doesn't stop me betting online!
Depending on how frowned upon online gambling is online I'd be a wee bit careful about using a VPN to gamble online. Not hugely secure.

Depending on how frowned upon online gambling is online I'd be a wee bit careful about using a VPN to gamble online. Not hugely secure.

I've done it a few times and know a lad winning thousands doing it, so I think my relative pocket change will go unnoticed, especially as its my Irish bank account!

Its also not illegal but Paddy Power aren't licenced or something here as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
Did the guy you know winning thousands introduce himself via a popup add while you were pounding your meat on vbbw.gov?

exactly..wasps will be favourites for the toulouse game but i wouldnt put money on them winning. will be a close game. same as when they meet connacht.

I don't see why Wasps would be favourites in an away game against Toulouse. Toulouse seemed to be rather uninterested in defence in the 2nd half against Connacht, not terrible, but not all busting a gut to make it work, which given Connacht's side to side style led to gaps and mismatches opening up. Maybe it was fitness, maybe it was over confidence in their lead, maybe it was just an away game for a French side, it won't be the same in a home game. Toulouse had a lot of power in attack, big runners, which may be able to exploit Wasps small backline.

Toulouse also had awful discipline at times, some really silly or pointless penalties, which would have hurt them, give them a home crowd and they may get away with a couple of those too (or just not do them). Connacht deserved the win for playing the full 80, but I felt Toulouse was the team who had more gears available to them (at the very least in defence).

I don't see why Wasps would be favourites in an away game against Toulouse. Toulouse seemed to be rather uninterested in defence in the 2nd half against Connacht, not terrible, but not all busting a gut to make it work, which given Connacht's side to side style led to gaps and mismatches opening up. Maybe it was fitness, maybe it was over confidence in their lead, maybe it was just an away game for a French side, it won't be the same in a home game. Toulouse had a lot of power in attack, big runners, which may be able to exploit Wasps small backline.

Toulouse also had awful discipline at times, some really silly or pointless penalties, which would have hurt them, give them a home crowd and they may get away with a couple of those too (or just not do them). Connacht deserved the win for playing the full 80, but I felt Toulouse was the team who had more gears available to them (at the very least in defence).

Having been to two games and watched others this year, Toulouse are bad. The whole standard of the Top 14 has dropped since the World Cup, Toulouse are one of tge worst off. Wasps are playing a mid-table French side and that's all, Connacht beat them with a lot of injuries and while not playing well!

Latest posts