• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Post-Op Back Surgery - Need Advice

L

lnub

Howdy everybody,

So i definitely just spent the last 10 minutes writing a post, but apparently it got deleted somehow, so now, I'll just sum it up

I got a microdiscectomy on my lower back (L5-S1) and I was just wondering if any of you have had similar procedures and what your stories are.

I'm itching to get back into the game, but my doctors and family member highly advise against it.

Any info, tips, or stories are warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

LNub

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lnub @ Aug 4 2009, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Howdy everybody,

So i definitely just spent the last 10 minutes writing a post, but apparently it got deleted somehow, so now, I'll just sum it up

I got a microdiscectomy on my lower back (L5-S1) and I was just wondering if any of you have had similar procedures and what your stories are.

I'm itching to get back into the game, but my doctors and family member highly advise against it.

Any info, tips, or stories are warmly welcomed and greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

LNub[/b]

Doctors always tend to advise people not to play rugby, especially in the US. However, I'm not familiar enough with your procedure to give adequate advice, nor would I think members of this forum would be with your specific situation. Having said that, I would tell you doctor that you plan on returning to rugby, and want to know what to expect. Then, regardless of his approval, you can personally weigh out the pros and cons. If there are too many cons, I'd advise going into coaching or reffing, because both are needed in the US right now.
At the end of the day, it's your decision, but do it educated and know what the potentials are. I know many people that play post surgeries. However, the back, your discs and the spinal cord are different than a knee, a shoulder or a jaw. So, look at strength training in regards to building up your back (by this I'm reffering more to core training than I am back rows), and maybe see a physical therapist.

100% true. We can't advice you thoroughly as each case varies in depth and consequences. I suffered of a L5-S1 and a vertebral fracture 2 years ago, had to undergo spinal fusion surgery and the doctor advised me to avoid playing rugger for the rest of my life. However, after seeing a physical therapist, he suggested that I worked on my back muscles to strengthen the zone and prevent further injuries.

2 years later, I am back playing. Due to the fracture I suffered I can't play at my 100% -- but that's because I lost weight in the last year when I started Uni (I used to weigh 255 pounds but I've lost 31 pounds since then).

Good luck mate!

Great advice coming in.

I had a peek at your profile and see that you play Lock/flanker. I would advise you make double sure if you can play again since you're a forward. Luckily you're not a front ranker, or I'd advise not to play.

I also suffered from an spinal injury a few years back (T9) and I still have problems today, so make sure.

Latest posts