• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Post-RWC All Blacks Team?

In terms of breaking it down position by position...

Outside Backs
Incumbents: Ben Smith, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Julian Savea, Waisake Naholo
Possibilities: Israel Dagg, Patrick Osborne, James Lowe, Jason Woodward, Lolagi Visinia

Midfield
Incumbents: Malakai Fekitoa
Possibilities: George Moala, Charlie Ngatai, Seta Tamanivalu, Rene Ranger, Richard Buckman, Ryan Crotty

First Fives
Incumbents: Aaron Cruden, Beauden Barrett
Possibilities: Lima Sopoaga

Halfbacks
Incumbents: Aaron Smith, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara
Possibilities: Brad Weber, Augustine Pulu

Loose Forwards
Incumbents: Kieran Read, Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Victor Vito
Possibilities: Akira Ioane, Steven Luatua, Liam Squire, Jordan Taufua, Matt Todd, Ardie Savea, Brad Shields

Locks
Incumbents: Sam Whitelock, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano
Possibilities: Patrick Tuipulotu, James Broadhurst, Dominic Bird, Scott Barrett

Props
Incumbents: Owen Franks, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Joe Moody
Possibilities: Nepo Laulala, Kane Hames, Pauliasi Manu, Ofa Tu'ungafasi

Hookers
Incumbents: Dane Coles, Codie Taylor
Possibilities: Hika Elliot, Nathan Harris, Liam Coltman

Of course that ignores the inevitable wildcard or two.

This is clearly not a post RWC AB team, but after watching a fair bit of ITM Cup this year here is my Future ABs team - made up of pretty young kids from the ITM Cup this year. I've had to stretch a bit to complete my full team, but the ones in Bold are for me future AB stars!
[TABLE="width: 130"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD]1
[/TD]
[TD]R Goodes
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2
[/TD]
[TD]B Funnell
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]3
[/TD]
[TD]T Allen
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]4
[/TD]
[TD]M Dunshea
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]5
[/TD]
[TD]T Franklin
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]6
[/TD]
[TD]A Ioane
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]7
[/TD]
[TD]M Karpik
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]8
[/TD]
[TD]A Savea
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]9
[/TD]
[TD]B Webber
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]10
[/TD]
[TD]D McKenzie
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]11
[/TD]
[TD]T Li
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]12
[/TD]
[TD]G Moala
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]13
[/TD]
[TD]A Lienert-Brown
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]14
[/TD]
[TD]J McNichol
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]15
[/TD]
[TD]S Stevenson
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

I get excited about our talent in this country... But I find it extremely hard to utilise such talent into our ABs squad, which, at the end of the day is only 31 players, 23 on match day... There is already quite a fair bit of young talent already wearing a black jersey, or have worn one recently.

There are a lot of people on here saying the future is Brad Weber... TJ Perenara, is YOUNGER, than him. And by the time Aaron Smith loses that halfback #1 status, we could well be looking at the generation behind Perenara and Weber. We could well be looking at Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Mitchell Drummond, or Sam Nock, as All Black halfbacks.

In regards to the loose trio, my god... We are an extremely spoilt country. Read, Messam, and Kaino are all 29+ years old, and we will be looking to replace. McCaw will obviously be going too. We have clear replacements already for Mr. McCaw, you have Cane and Todd, straight away. These guys are very good players, however, Todd is already 27. As someone mentioned, we could be looking at an Ioane, Karpik/Cane, Savea combo, at 6/7/8. Karpik is an interesting one, he signed with the Chiefs... I feel he should have chosen the Blues. Could have had the Luatua, Kaino, Karpik, Ioane, loose pack there. He was bound to play 7 at the Blues. With Savea, and Ioane, I feel that both will be too good in the end to ignore for the black jersey. One plays 7, and one plays 8. But I could see Savea playing at 8, and Ioane at 6, because Sam Cane will end up being a favourite, so I don't feel Savea will get the 7, and to be fair, who can argue against a loose trio like that one.

Our wingers are not going to change in a hurry. Doubt we will see anyone get a starting position over Savea, Naholo, or NMS before the next World Cup.

For 10s, we will have the same 3 until after the next World Cup (Cruden, Sopoaga, Barrett), probably with the 4th being Damian McKenzie, but he'll be a long shot to start above those guys.

12/13, now, this is where it could get interesting for us tbh. I continue to say that if we wanted another Conrad Smith, we will find him in Charlie Ngatai. Good ol' reliable, never let you down, Ngatai. However, we already have Fekitoa, so maybe Ngatai at 12. He does have a kicking game already. Then you have Moala, Crotty, and as a player who I am looking forward to see playing, hopefully starting in the Hurricanes midfield, Laumape. Then you also have Lienert-Brown, who could be better than Laumape's debut Super Rugby season.

As far as fullbacks go, we could very well expand our wing selection group, once Dagg and Smith start to clearly age. And then we could look to put NMS into fullback, because it's where he'll be playing his Super Rugby. Then we have the potential of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck coming back to rugby, and bidding to make it into a black jersey, and I for one think he'll make a fantastic fullback, but if he somehow doesn't garner a kicking game, you still cannot ignore such a talent. Perhaps a winger.

We're quite set for locks, Tuipolotu is young, so is Retallick, the oldest being Whitelock at 27. I guess we'll worry about it whenever it comes to it.

I'll skip the front row, I would imagine one of the young Hurricane props will be there some day. And probably one of the Tu'ungafasi brothers, maybe both? For Hooker, I guess we'll see what Codie Taylor can do.

Last edited:
15 Post World Cup Predictions Post RWC

1. Wyatt Crockett will share loosehead with Joe Moody until Lions tour where Joe Moody will become the incumbent.

2. Dane Coles will be our main hooker for the next four years with Codie Taylor, Liam Coltman and Nathan Harris being substitutes throughout the four years.

3. Charlie Faumuina will carry our scrum with Nepo Laulala competing for the Number 1 spot. Owen Franks will stay with the team until 2019 surpassing 100 caps with ease.

4. Brodie Retallick and Sam Whitelock will become our greatest locking partnership ever.

5. The replacement locks will be shared between Dominic Bird and Patrick Tuipulotu.

6. Jerome Kaino will hold on to this jersey until the Lions tour where it will be passed on to Akira Ioane. While Ioane is playing sevens, Brad Shields will earn his cap on the blindside.

7. Sam Cane will hold the 7 jersey and captain us after the Lions Tour. Matt Todd and Ardie Savea will both play in the 7 along the way.

8. Kieran Read will play No. 8 until Lions where the Ioane-Cane-Savea future term loose forward combo will commence.

9. Aaron Smith will dominate this jersey until 2020. Brad Weber and TJ Perenra will be his lieutenants.

10. Aaron Cruden will take the throne off DC and take us to 2019. Along with Lima Sopoaga his heir will be Otere Black who will join the team before 2019. Beauden Barrett will also help out as a utility.

11. Julian Savea will be in 11 to 2019. Ranger, Naholo and NMS capable of covering if injury occurs.

12. Ngani Laumape will be the next Nonu. With 4 years of experience at the Warriors and at the age of 22, he is my wildcard for the All Blacks come 2019. SBW will retire from union rugby after the Lions tour in this jersey.

13. The combo of Ngatai-Fekitoa will carry the All Blacks through 2016, with the lions being the Chiefs triple threat of Cruden-SBW-Ngatai come 2017.

14. Nehe Milner Skudder will continue on in this role being a combo of Christian Cullen 2.0. With Naholo and Seta Tamanivalu being back ups at various times between 2016-2019.

15. Ben Smith will fill this Jeresy alongside both Israel Dagg and Beauden Barrett. My pick is Barrett being our 2019 RWC fullback holding out Dagg.

Gidday mate, love the predictions, but thought I add my 2 cents to a couple of them:

15 Post World Cup Predictions Post RWC

1. Wyatt Crockett will share loosehead with Joe Moody until Lions tour where Joe Moody will become the incumbent.
Yup
2. Dane Coles will be our main hooker for the next four years with Codie Taylor, Liam Coltman and Nathan Harris being substitutes throughout the four years.
Yup
3. Charlie Faumuina will carry our scrum with Nepo Laulala competing for the Number 1 spot. Owen Franks will stay with the team until 2019 surpassing 100 caps with ease.
and Yup
4. Brodie Retallick and Sam Whitelock will become our greatest locking partnership ever.
Love this! and think these two will be the cornerstone of the ABs going forward.
5. The replacement locks will be shared between Dominic Bird and Patrick Tuipulotu.
Tuipulotu will become a force and in order to protect the Retallick and Whitlock he should see quite a bit of starting time as well! Mitchell Dunshea to get his first test cap by 2019.
6. Jerome Kaino will hold on to this jersey until the Lions tour where it will be passed on to Akira Ioane. While Ioane is playing sevens, Brad Shields will earn his cap on the blindside.
Not sure about how long Kaino will hang about and can see Vito getting time at 6 in his place. Ioane is going to be an absolute star come 2019!
7. Sam Cane will hold the 7 jersey and captain us after the Lions Tour. Matt Todd and Ardie Savea will both play in the 7 along the way.
Swap Karpik for Todd. Karpik will be the new Sam Cane, but this kid is going to be so good (unlike McCaw-Cane) he will eventually take Canes post 2015 starting spot.
8. Kieran Read will play No. 8 until Lions where the Ioane-Cane-Savea future term loose forward combo will commence.
Read will be the captain and will lead us to a three-peat in 2019
9. Aaron Smith will dominate this jersey until 2020. Brad Weber and TJ Perenra will be his lieutenants.
Come 2016 Weber will be the new backup 9 to Smith. TJ will be out of AB contention and Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi to get his first test cap before 2019.
10. Aaron Cruden will take the throne off DC and take us to 2019. Along with Lima Sopoaga his heir will be Otere Black who will join the team before 2019. Beauden Barrett will also help out as a utility.
Yup, although I dont see Black getting a look in. DC, Sops, and BB to take all the game time.
11. Julian Savea will be in 11 to 2019. Ranger, Naholo and NMS capable of covering if injury occurs.
Savea wont last till 2019
12. Ngani Laumape will be the next Nonu. With 4 years of experience at the Warriors and at the age of 22, he is my wildcard for the All Blacks come 2019. SBW will retire from union rugby after the Lions tour in this jersey.
Moala to be the new Nonu. SBW to be the heavy weight champion of the world by 2019 beating Parker for the ***le ;) and Fekitoa to become a star!
13. The combo of Ngatai-Fekitoa will carry the All Blacks through 2016, with the lions being the Chiefs triple threat of Cruden-SBW-Ngatai come 2017.
The Baracuda to get an ABs call up!
14. Nehe Milner Skudder will continue on in this role being a combo of Christian Cullen 2.0. With Naholo and Seta Tamanivalu being back ups at various times between 2016-2019.
NMS to dominate for the next 4 years. He will score more tries than the England backs combined - perhaps that's not saying too much though ;)
15. Ben Smith will fill this Jeresy alongside both Israel Dagg and Beauden Barrett. My pick is Barrett being our 2019 RWC fullback holding out Dagg.
Cory Jane to get an AB recall in 2016

Julian Savea should well be gunning for Ohata's record. Over the last four years he has managed 38 tries. He only recently turned 25. He still has another four years in him in my opinion, providing he can keep injury free and ahead of the game.

My favourite All Black is Cory Jane, it would be good to see him get this! Karpik is good alright. From watching him at the U19 tournament last year and following it up with ITM this year he has massive potential. Same situation with Te Toiroa with U20 then ITM. Each to their own in regards to George Moala and Richard Buckman :)

Julian Savea should well be gunning for Ohata's record. Over the last four years he has managed 38 tries. He only recently turned 25. He still has another four years in him in my opinion, providing he can keep injury free and ahead of the game.

I hope you are right. It was just a concern how quickly he appeared to blow out after Super Rugby and how long it took him to get back into stride. I dont want to generalise too much, but wingers careers are typically shorter than other positions due to deterioration in speed, but also the big Island lads sometimes tend to have short international careers on the wing too. AGain, I hope I am wrong, but there were perhaps some signs that Savea might not make 2019. Time will tell I guess!

- - - Updated - - -

My favourite All Black is Cory Jane, it would be good to see him get this! Karpik is good alright. From watching him at the U19 tournament last year and following it up with ITM this year he has massive potential. Same situation with Te Toiroa with U20 then ITM. Each to their own in regards to George Moala and Richard Buckman :)
I thought Jane has been a standout in ITM cup this year! Hence why I reckon he called get a call up post RWC as he would bring in quite a lot of that lost experience as well. ITM has seen a whole heap of new talent come through aye! Super exciting. I love the way Buckman plays, I hope they will give him a shot. As for Moala, he'd be a risky project, but he has what it takes I think and like Nonu could develop the passing game, and then perhaps even the kicking game down the track too. The fact is he is a massive ball carrier and I think the ABs need that at 12!

All Blacks post 2015 RWC

The NZ starting XV for the coming years?

1 Moody
2 Coles
3 Franks
4 Whitelock
5 Retallick
6 Luatua/Messam
7 Cane/Ardie Savea
8 Read
9 Aaron Smith
10 Cruden
11 Julian Savea
12 Crotty/Ngatai
13 Fekitoa
14 NMS/Naholo
15 Ben Smith

I'd actually been thinking abou this already.

Before the final I felt very comfortable that NZ would be able to manage all the player departures due to the amazing depth we have. After watching the final I'm not so sure. I think it is going to take a huge effort to overcome the loss of Woodcock, Kevy, DC, Nonu, SMith and probably/maybe? McCaw. Just how much these guys bring to the team really showed in our finals push this RWC. They are all fantastic players but their experience and mana is priceless. How we overcome their loss I am not sure. It is going to take a mamoth effort by Hansen and co to rebuild. Lucky we have the talent though!!

What do you guys think??

I'm with Cobrad on most of the starting team, although NMS starts for sure, and Moala for me will be the 12. Ardie is still some time away but may start making the bench, but I think they would do well to bring Todd into the mix. Also as far as I know Kaino is still arround so he will start. Messam is out due to 7s.

I'd take Messam out because he's going to 7's and put Todd/Ioane in there. Not convinced though. He will need some seasoning, so will Ardie, who has already "travelled" with the AB's, but we certainly have some seasoning and conditioning to do in that back row and with a fading front row, we have some work to do, Dixon might get a look in, but doubt it...... annnnnnnd our midfield.

As Nick as pointed out, Fekitoa does miss a lot of tackles and needs a lot of work annnnnnnnnnnd there's the matter of who is his combination going to be.. Crotty seems like the safe and logical choice.. but is he a game breaker in TEST matches.. Don't know, big work ahead lads.

I'd take Messam out because he's going to 7's and put Todd/Ioane in there. Not convinced though. He will need some seasoning, so will Ardie, who has already "travelled" with the AB's, but we certainly have some seasoning and conditioning to do in that back row and with a fading front row, we have some work to do, Dixon might get a look in, but doubt it...... annnnnnnd our midfield.

As Nick as pointed out, Fekitoa does miss a lot of tackles and needs a lot of work annnnnnnnnnnd there's the matter of who is his combination going to be.. Crotty seems like the safe and logical choice.. but is he a game breaker in TEST matches.. Don't know, big work ahead lads.

I think there are big question marks over the all round games of Ioane and Ardie. I'm picking they will bring them into the squad early in 2016 and see what they have got and really work on their mental games and off the ball stuff. They are both so young and have so much to learn.

Yup Messam is out but Kaino is not (as far as I know).

Other than experience, the next biggest hurdle is getting a world class centre pairing ready for the next RWC. There is of course the chance that SBW will be back for 2019, but in the mean time we have quite a few options to try out but none that really jump out at me as certainties. I really like the skill set and physique that Moala brings. He looks to me to be a new Nonu in the making. It remains to be seen if they can mould him into a world class 12 like they did with Nonu (which took well over 4 years). Fekitoa is hugely talented, I hope he steps up!!

Lots of talent, just need Hansen an co. to work their magic!

Lastly, I've said it before, but if I had it my way McCaw would be in the AB mix for 1 more season!!

Id be going with Moala all day for 12. IF they select Fekitoa at 13 even more so. Fekitoa does not have anywhere near the cart it up game of Nonu.

Moala obviously needs to develop a kicking game quick smart.

Theres also Rene Ranger I think he's been a bit of a forgotten man. He has the power to be that cart it up guy and then someone with some skill (Crotty or Ngatai) can take that 12 spot. To me thats a more balanced midfield but probably not what the AB selectors will be looking for.

NZ has preferred a boofy 12 for quite a while now to change back to a skills 12 like Crotty with only really a kicking game will hurt our game bigtime, especially against the likes of South Africa who now have a young solid midfield rather than an old one....

Last edited:
1) Joe Moody
2) Dane Coles
3) Owen Franks
4) Sam Whitelock
5) Brodie Rettallick
6) Akira Ioane
7) Sam Cane
8) Kieran Read (c)

9) Aaron Smith
10) Aaron Cruden
11) Julian Savea
12) George Moala
13) Ryan Crotty
14) Waisake Naholo
15) Ben Smith

I'm not saying that's the midfield I want, but it's what I can think of right now. Moala has had an awesome year, and he distributes extremely well, has good awareness. If we survived this year and probably last year with an average Conrad Smith, then surely Ryan Crotty will suffice for the time being? I'm just not sold on Fekitoa. I know he has potential, and can be devastating on the bench, but he also does a lot of things I don't like. Tbh, I think he had one ripper year of Super 15 and thereafter most teams figured him out. I've previously mentioned a possibility of Sopoaga at 12. Not sure if that would work out but it might be worth looking into. Rene Ranger will be back as well; not sure how we feel about him. He was in great form around the time he left. Special mentions go to Nepo Laulala and Cody Taylor who I think will be important impact-players from the bench for awhile. I think size and arguably a more well rounded game will see Ioane sneak ahead of Ardie Savea? I imagine Savea being gigantic from the bench, if he's there at all. Either him or Todd will be really unlucky I think. I think it will depend how a lot of new people perform and how well the new combinations click.

Id be going with Moala all day for 12. IF they select Fekitoa at 13 even more so. Fekitoa does not have anywhere near the cart it up game of Nonu.

Moala obviously needs to develop a kicking game quick smart.

Theres also Rene Ranger I think he's been a bit of a forgotten man. He has the power to be that cart it up guy and then someone with some skill (Crotty or Ngatai) can take that 12 spot. To me thats a more balanced midfield but probably not what the AB selectors will be looking for.

NZ has preferred a boofy 12 for quite a while now to change back to a skills 12 like Crotty with only really a kicking game will hurt our game bigtime, especially against the likes of South Africa who now have a young solid midfield rather than an old one....

Do you think so? I reckon that's the last thing they will work on. First and foremost it will be D, reading the game, and his passing skills and related awareness. If you think back to the progression of Nonus career it was only very recently, well after he had honed all his other skills that his kicking game came on. IMO I can live with Moala not kicking it so long as his other skills can get up to international standard.

Ranger will be interesting. See how he goes in Super Rugby first though!

- - - Updated - - -

1) Joe Moody
2) Dane Coles
3) Owen Franks
4) Sam Whitelock
5) Brodie Rettallick
6) Akira Ioane
7) Sam Cane
8) Kieran Read (c)

9) Aaron Smith
10) Aaron Cruden
11) Julian Savea
12) George Moala
13) Ryan Crotty
14) Waisake Naholo
15) Ben Smith

I'm not saying that's the midfield I want, but it's what I can think of right now. Moala has had an awesome year, and he distributes extremely well, has good awareness. If we survived this year and probably last year with an average Conrad Smith, then surely Ryan Crotty will suffice for the time being? I'm just not sold on Fekitoa. I know he has potential, and can be devastating on the bench, but he also does a lot of things I don't like. Tbh, I think he had one ripper year of Super 15 and thereafter most teams figured him out. I've previously mentioned a possibility of Sopoaga at 12. Not sure if that would work out but it might be worth looking into. Rene Ranger will be back as well; not sure how we feel about him. He was in great form around the time he left. Special mentions go to Nepo Laulala and Cody Taylor who I think will be important impact-players from the bench for awhile. I think size and arguably a more well rounded game will see Ioane sneak ahead of Ardie Savea? I imagine Savea being gigantic from the bench, if he's there at all. Either him or Todd will be really unlucky I think. I think it will depend how a lot of new people perform and how well the new combinations click.

I;m confused why everyone is leaving out Kaino. He was a monster today and has much needed experience. You guys dont rate him? And not much love for NMS who was perhaps the find of the tournament!!

Isn't Kaino like 30? It's not that I don't rate him, I just reckon we should get started early on some of the other young flankers. I definitely think there is a place for experience, but let's not make the mistake England did after they won the World Cup and become Dad's Army. As for that other wing, I don't really mind. You could put Skudder or Naholo there. But I do think Naholo has a hell of a lot to offer which we didn't get to see. If he actually got the chance and didn't get injured people could be saying "what? no Naholo?" :p I'm not really firm on it though. Could go either way.

Pretty excited about the Moala - Ranger center partnership for the blues. Just need to find a good and stable 9/10.

Personally I prefer Akira to keep developing as a number 8 than 6. I know available spots might mean he plays 6 but I reckon he'll overtake Read in 1-2 years time.

Isn't Kaino like 30? It's not that I don't rate him, I just reckon we should get started early on some of the other young flankers. I definitely think there is a place for experience, but let's not make the mistake England did after they won the World Cup and become Dad's Army. As for that other wing, I don't really mind. You could put Skudder or Naholo there. But I do think Naholo has a hell of a lot to offer which we didn't get to see. If he actually got the chance and didn't get injured people could be saying "what? no Naholo?" :p I'm not really firm on it though. Could go either way.

Yeah he's 32. But in a year when we lose like 800 test caps of experience, we'd do well to keep him around for another couple years I reckon!!

I wouldnt worry about the Dads army thing. People said that about this current team and look what happened.

Yeah I reckon Naholo could earn himself a spot at some point. But for me the operative word is earn. With that in mind I dont think we can go past the incumbents although we will rotate about 4 wings next year so he will get his chance.

No way, Kaino's good enough for a year or two. Put Akira or Shields behind him to learn from the master and we'll be in good stead by the time the lions turn up.

Mccaw is a big enough loss on his own and your talking about taking him and Kaino out at once. I cant see that doing us any good whatsoever.

New midfield and lets just replace the entire backrow while were at it..... Australia will beat us if we start discarding perfectly good players for no reason.

- - - Updated - - -

On the wings I do feel we need solid back ups for me thats Osbourne and Noholo atm id like to see us find another skills wing like Jane for the 14 though. Just simply to keep Savea and NMS honest if nothing else. Savea badly needed Osbourne to take his place during the rugby championship to make him realise what was at stake!

Last edited:
No way Kaino's good enough for a year or two. Put Akira or Shields behind him to learn from the master and we'll be in good stead by the time the lions turn up.

Mccaw is a big enough loss on his own and your talking about taking him and Kaino out at once. I cant see that doing us any good whatsoever.

New midfield and lets just replace the entire backrow while were at it..... Australia will beat us if we start discarding perfectly good players for no reason.

I'm confused at ur post. Is there supposed to be a comma after "No way"? I think so. When I read it the first time it read like you thought Kaino was done:
"No way Kaino's good enough for a year or two"

What about Corey Jane? On fire for Wellington and truck loads of experience! Quality player, wouldnt mind seeing him back in the mix for a last season!! You want someone like Jane, why not just pick Jane?

Latest posts